Man of the House Troubleshooting Help

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
I've created this thread which I hope will help everyone with issues they are having pertaining to black screens during the animated scenes or help resolving the resolution error messages seen while trying to load the game.

This thread is NOT for asking about saves or help with hints, walkthroughs, etc..

Thank you in advance!

Please note: If you're using Windows XP or Windows Vista, these operating systems are no longer being supported. Sorry! You will need to upgrade your operating system to at least Windows 7.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Windows users: If you are seeing an error message that looks like this (see attached image), you need to update your operating system through Windows Update.

For Windows 7 users:
  1. Go into Control Panel.
  2. Click the "Windows Update" applet.
  3. Search for updates.
  4. Click the "Optional" updates that it has found and select them all (except the language packs).
  5. Install all of the updates and restart your computer.
  6. Now you can play the game.
For Windows 10 users:
  1. In the search box in the task bar, type "Windows Update".
  2. Click "Advanced Options".
  3. Select “Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows”.
  4. Install all of the updates and restart your computer.
  5. Now you can play the game.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
These instructions are for installing MotH on Mac, however these also (roughly) apply to running Wine on Linux.

The latest Wine Staging doesn't work. You need Wine Staging 2.21. Get it for OSX.

If you're an advanced wine user and have multiple configurations, make sure you update WINEPREFIX to the one you want. If you don't know what this means, you can probably ignore it. More info .

• Install Wine Staging. Feel free to move the app wherever you want.
• Now you need to get winetricks from .
• Run Terminal. Run "sh" if your default shell is not bash.
• Winetricks will require a package called cabextract. To get that you need to install
homebrew. If you already have it installed, skip to the next step. Run ruby -e "$(curl -
fsSL )" < /dev/null 2>
/dev/null
• brew install cabextract
• exit
• Launch Wine Staging. It will open a shell window in Terminal.
• cd to the location of winetricks. I put it next to Wine Staging.app.
• sh winetricks corefonts
• You need to install more things to get animations to run. sh winetricks devenum
ffdshow quartz
• Select defaults for the install
• When you get "Completing the ffdshow Setup Wizard", select "Run video decoder
configuration" and "Finish"
• Click "Tray, dialog & paths", then "Tray icons:" "None", "OK"
To run, double click Wine Staging.app. In the Terminal window that pops up, cd to the MotH location and type:
wine "man of the house.exe"

If you need to check to see which architecture your version of Wine is, please visit this link for assistance:

Last edited:

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
I'll put the thread in my list, and when someone ask something, I'll send here for search, excellent work Brother :cool::cool::cool:
Thanks, brother! I wanted to make it easier for users so they didn't have to search the thread and since some are having trouble with the included guide, I thought this would help.

Reactions: Carlo S

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
If you don't know how to tell the temperature of your GPU, download from Piriform.

Carlo S

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
May 20, 2017
Thanks, brother! I wanted to make it easier for users so they didn't have to search the thread and since some are having trouble with the included guide, I thought this would help.
No problem, I've the link, and if someone don't see the thread, I can send here, for search solutions, and all the time that I post the all links and the events, I always will post this one together, the same way I did now ;););)

Reactions: Old Bear and Sycho

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
No problem, I've the link, and if someone don't see the thread, I can send here, for search solutions, and all the time that I post the all links and the events, I always will post this one together, the same way I did now ;););)
Sounds like a great idea! :)

cerberus666

Apr 28, 2017
having with the windows updates for windows 7 64bit it keeps telling me that the update is not applicable for my system... can someone help? i can't play the game

thanks

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
having with the windows updates for windows 7 64bit it keeps telling me that the update is not applicable for my system... can someone help? i can't play the game

thanks
Follow the steps in the second post.

MSK1984

Jul 1, 2018
I just need help with videos. the game freezes when I play it. What do i do? I have Windows 7 64-bit.

Carlo S

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
May 20, 2017
I just need help with videos. the game freezes when I play it. What do i do? I have Windows 7 64-bit.
You need K-Lite Codec Pack, download it, and if have some problems, look here:

Reactions: Old Bear