Matching character and material appearance

xer.0

Feb 7, 2018
As I’m playing more in DAZ I’m realizing how difficult it is to make all of the assets look the same and have a consistent finish. Are there any tips or tricks for the more seasoned guys for getting your settings to match across an entire scene and going even further into multiple scenes?

Example: I was using a “Tilly” base model and added another model with the “Sharon” base. Tilly’s skin is very shiny comparatively. I know how to adjust it but if I got it looking right, what’s the best way to make it match on the Sharon model?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Well, it depends on the models. Different artists sometimes take very different approaches to how they set up character skins. If the setups are similar, then making whatever changes you made to one can obviously be made to the other as well. Otherwise, it's a question of experimenting with the settings the way you did with the first character. (Individual PA's tend to use the same setup across their characters, so if you have two characters from the same PA, chances are the same "twiddling of the settings" will have the same effect.)

Part of what I would suggest is that once you get a character the way you want it, save it as a "scene subset." Just the character. Into the hierarchy of your Daz assets. This way, the character shows up in your "Content" pane, and can be inserted into the scene just by double-clicking on it. (Or by holding the Alt key down and dragging the character out of "Content" and into your scene.)

This way, you only have to go through setting up each individual character once.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
What I do is to save a character for each change I will save them as david_orginal.duf and david_altered.duf

original David
denoised_tt2.png

altered David
denoised_tt1.png

The M.O.

Nov 27, 2020
saveshadertest1.png saveshadertest2.png

I did a test with . altern8--skin-shader-system
The picture on the top, 3 random models.
The picture below, the same with the exact same alter8 shaders on each.

Up to you to judge for yourself if it brought them sufficiently closer.