mega.nz banned my account for no reason

kiyiya

Sep 16, 2017
3 days ego mega.nz banned my account even though i never uploaded anything on it, i only use to download games from f95zone via mega desktop app.
what's more weird is that i cleared browser data and deleted mega.nz cookies from it.. and also deleted all traces of mega desktop app from pc and from regedit then restarted pc and changed ip address and i created a new account using different email address but they still banned that too after few hours.. i'm completely at loss here.. please point me to what i am doing wrong.

Snap_2021.03.11_21h29m11s__01.png

kiyiya

Sep 16, 2017
no i'm not using VPN.. my modem changes ip address everytime it reboots.. i just did the above steps creating a new account and this time i'm gonna try my luck with JD2 instead of mega desktop app.

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
If your modem changes IP addresses all the time then wouldn't look like different people are using the account under the same log in?

kiyiya

Sep 16, 2017
If your modem changes IP addresses all the time then wouldn't look like different people are using the account under the same log in?
nope it's always one account connected at one time under the same cookies.. the only advantage of this is that after the 4gb allowed download have finished i can just restart modem to get 4gb allowed download again.. i don't have to wait a period of time to be able to download again..
i'm starting to believe that it's related to the desktop app.. they've included a file in it that tells them all your previous account and even if you uninstall the desktop app this file stays hidden somewhere so when you install it again it tap into that hidden file to see if you had installed it before and what are your previous accounts.. so to escape this i need to know where this information is stored so i can delete it or reformat the pc so it get deleted with everything else, and i'm not gonna reformat my pc for the stupid mega desktop app.

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
A quick look at my own PC showed 2 folders, Mega Limited and MegaSync in:

C\Users\<username>\AppData\Local

That was a 30 second search, I don't know if it would be anywhere else (also remember that AppData is hidden by default so you may need to enter that manually)

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
this is what lemonfreak is trying to say

Dynamic means “constantly changing.” The prefix dyna means power; however, dynamic IP addresses aren’t more powerful, but they can change (or be changed).

Static means staying the same. Static. Stand. Stable. Yes, static IP addresses don’t change.

if you have Dynamic IP address they will change and your old ip will go to someone else and they might of gotten that IP banned it doesn't mean it was you

if you have Static IP address they will not change and it means that you did something wrong and they banned your IP

Last edited:

kiyiya

Sep 16, 2017
A quick look at my own PC showed 2 folders, Mega Limited and MegaSync in:

C\Users\<username>\AppData\Local

That was a 30 second search, I don't know if it would be anywhere else (also remember that AppData is hidden by default so you may need to enter that manually)
i already deleted those when i uninstalled.

kiyiya

Sep 16, 2017
this is what lemonfreak is trying to say

Dynamic means “constantly changing.” The prefix dyna means power; however, dynamic IP addresses aren’t more powerful, but they can change (or be changed).

Static means staying the same. Static. Stand. Stable. Yes, static IP addresses don’t change.

if you have Dynamic IP address they will change and your old ip you go to someone else and they might of gotten that IP banned it doesn't mean it was you

if you have Static IP address they will not change and it means that you did something wrong and they banned your IP

they ban people based on cookies and not ip address. if you're using mega desktop app some programs do it via banning your machine id that's why i need to find that hidden file or registry.

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
if you have Dynamic IP address they will change and your old ip you go to someone else and they might of gotten that IP banned it doesn't mean it was you
Companies don't IP ban random residential IPs precisely for that reason. It makes no sense, won't keep the guy banned you wanted to ban and will potentially annoy somebody else in the future.

Krynh

Engaged Member
Jan 20, 2020
Only you know what you did and according to them you broke their TOS. Download from the website instead, maybe they won't ban you then.

Reactions: kiyiya