Mega vs other providers

Dave98424

Oct 30, 2017
So I am curious why Mega seems to be the only download service provider that is able to provide a decent rate of speed vs the others. They are all out to get you to signup and pay for the premium service but I am talking about just the free version?. What do they do differently?.

Reactions: GaRbS

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
MEGA works perfectly for me, but I have been asked to switch to other providers because it is slow for them, I am using Google Drive now.
It is not perfect, but together with Mediafire, it is the one that works best for me.

I would say Nopy is better than MEGA, but sadly it is not accessible.
My rating, based on my experience, would be:

1. Nopy
2. Mega
3. Google Drive
4. Mediafire

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
What Winterfire said.
But Mega is doing some questionable stuff lately, so for me it goes down to last place for now.

Dave98424

Oct 30, 2017
MEGA works perfectly for me, but I have been asked to switch to other providers because it is slow for them, I am using Google Drive now.
It is not perfect, but together with Mediafire, it is the one that works best for me.

I would say Nopy is better than MEGA, but sadly it is not accessible.
My rating, based on my experience, would be:

1. Nopy
2. Mega
3. Google Drive
4. Mediafire
That is very surprising to hear, I always get very slow downloads from Nopy. I do not really consider Google drive to be part of the pay to play download scene. Mediafire I have given up on as they never seem to finish.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Nopy is hit or miss with me lately. Sometimes it works fine and gives me reasonable download speeds. Othertimes it takes hours to download something that takes minutes on Mega, and frequently it just times out and fails completely. Mega is much more consistent although I do run into the quota issue occasionally. The other options I generally don't use because they tend to want you to install a download manager and generally those are packed with malware.

The fastest option is pretty much always a torrent if there is one available.

Dave98424

Oct 30, 2017
Torrents are another option but I was just trying to figure out why Mega seems to be so much better. It appears I may have just been lucky though as others have not had the same results. I hope more people reply so I can better gauge the overall results. As far as the quota that is a real issue with Mega but it may also explain why it seems to work faster for me, if they do a better job managing the overall load because of it vs the competitors.

wurg

Modder
Apr 19, 2018
I guess it's not just me lately then. My internet speeds are all over the place for about the last 5 months, and my download speeds are a joke anymore. Nopy is hit or miss, most of the time it errors out on me, Uploadhaven used to be really good, now I'm lucky to get 500 KB/s, same for most of the others. The only two I've found that give me consistent fast speeds are Google Drive and Mega, I have no idea why though. I used to like Workupload quite a bit, it wasn't the fastest but I could consistently get 3 MB/s out of it at all times, even that one has slowed down on me, and not many use it anymore.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
I don't generally have a problem with Mega, Nopy or GDrive, the only issues are with Nopy when it says connection problem, but I leave it alone and it fixes itself.

It's worth noting though that I use JDownloader for all my downloads.

Dave98424

Oct 30, 2017
I don't generally have a problem with Mega, Nopy or GDrive, the only issues are with Nopy when it says connection problem, but I leave it alone and it fixes itself.

It's worth noting though that I use JDownloader for all my downloads.

The downloader aspect I have not tracked as I have avoided using them. Not sure if it has any impact good or bad on overall speeds for any of them. Did you notice any difference when using one?.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
The downloader aspect I have not tracked as I have avoided using them. Not sure if it has any impact good or bad on overall speeds for any of them. Did you notice any difference when using one?.
I'd say the speed is better as it lets me download in multiple connections (parts) for each file, it handles the retries automatically too.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
MEGA has fast speeds but it eats up all your bandwidth somehow. I prefer racity, uploadhaven, workupload, zippy. Nopy sometimes gets good speeds but it tends to drop the download too often.

mrmcfappen

Sep 10, 2019
In my experience, workupload and zippy are the only two providers that are slow more often than not. I usually go for Nopy when possible, speeds are almost always as fast as possible for my connection (100Mbits), almost never experienced connection problems.
In the unlucky situations where there is no nopy link or if nopy is experiencing one of its rare less then perfect moments, I go for Mega and if I exceeded mega download cap (or will exceed it in the middle of the download) I try links from all other providers one by one. Usually one of those provide decent (if not full) speed.
BTW I use IDM(internet download manager)

Midnite Guerrilla

Game Developer
Mar 23, 2018
Mega is the best for me in terms of uploads. I find Nopy drops out and I can't upload to it because I don't have an account, so it's no good for me as a developer. I find Mediafire the best to download from, but very slow to upload to.

But Mega is doing some questionable stuff lately, so for me it goes down to last place for now.
This has piqued my interest. What shit have they been doing recently?

Ryahn

Birb Skull Fuckery
Staff member
Donor
Compressor
Jul 5, 2017
NOPY has been getting near capacity lately, so that could explain the slowness. I know the dev is working on more servers but I haven't heard from him recently.

As far as torrents go, I have roughly 100+ torrents actively seeding on my dedicated server. So its option to use if other hosts go down. iirc I am hosting a torrent for ScrewThisNoise but I am not sure if its the latest or not.