HTML - Completed - Mercanoid [v1.0.8] [Pyksies]

1. 5.00 star(s)

soldieroffortune813

Just like many of the other reviews are saying, this game is short and sweet. It only takes 4-8 hours to play through, but the writing in this text-based game is superb enough to more than make up for it. It seems that this is more of a proof of concept for the system the game is built on, and the next project they're working on will be something full-length to make full use of the fairly solid base mechanics inside. I hope whatever they put out next is just as good.
  2. 3.00 star(s)

skaisher

Now this game is pretty good overall. The writing is solid, it has good characters, a very strong premise.

It does have a lot of text to get through. Seems obvious in a text based game there will be a lot of text, but sometimes more is less you know.

There is also a lot of repetitive combat. It's not really difficult at all, but there are constant random encounters.

My main issue is that a lot of the content is gained by losing fights. Winning fights does unlock the scene in your gallery but I'm not really a fan of that. So logically I go to lose a fight, expecting to maybe lose some xp or items, but I just get a game over. No way to continue except to restart from a save. Except I hadn't been saving so I lost a ton of progress. This game design is so baffling to me. See contend by losing but at the same time punish players heavily for losing???

I would have loved to see where the story and the characters went, but I can't be bothered to replay like 2 hours.

Overall worth a shot if you like text based games, but you better be saving regularly!
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Akai Mikazuki

- Fleshed-out characters that are diverse not for the sake of being diverse
    - Keen attention to details in the descriptions
    - Various fetishes, with warnings and tags included

Amazing game overall, the only problem I found is that I wish the game is longer so that all of the available features and mechanics are used (more than once)
  4. 5.00 star(s)

Crestrial

Yeah, it's a pretty good text game.

It's descriptive, doesn't have a bunch of mistakes, and is pretty interesting. The only thing I have to say is that It's very short and due to that I feel like a lot of the skills are fairly pointless because of it. At no point do you ever need more than like 5 points in something and some skills are used for 1 or 2 skill checks and then never used again. It feels like this was planned to be a much more extensive game with all the skills and systems in place but was cut short. Better short and sweet rather than forever hanging in development hell in my opinion though.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

Zzyzx

If you don't mind the scifi scenario, no art for sex scenes and are interested in the fetishes or just a well written game, i highly recommend you give it a try.

The pros
    Mercanoid is well written with a interesting story, enjoyable characters and quite a bit of lore about the world it plays in, for those that are interested.
    It has a nice variety in it scenes, which are unlocked in the galerie after you overcoming fights/challenges witout the needing to lose to see them and filters for content you may not are interested in.
    The combat has a some interesting systems and is customizable in terms of money/exp rewards, difficulty and encounter rate.
    Well polished, clean ui, pretty much bug free.

The cons
    Mercanoid is a bit of a test run for features and you feel that some mechanics are under utilized, like context moves.
    While a lot of the game is playable with just the keyboard on some actions these shortcuts are missing, like for example continuing at the end of combat.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

MidnightKing

Review for v1.0.7

Mercanoid is easily one of the best text-based games I've played in recent memory. A bit short but also very sweet. It's been awhile since I got into a lewd game like this.

I'm finding it hard to put into words, but you can just feel the care and effort that went into the writing. Labor of love is a very apt description. Pick any aspect of the game and I'd have something good to say about it. From the protagonist herself, the story, the truly diverse cast of characters, the lengthy and descriptive sex scenes, to even the minute details of things like room descriptions and other little cute details thrown in. To put it simply: the game is just fun to play.

Also love the amount of quality of life elements, which honestly deserves praise on its own. Being able to tweak encounters rates is super nice, but you can edit many facets of the game to your liking. I myself heavily appreciated that you unlocked scenes in a fantasize gallery after defeating enemies, so I didn't have to force myself to lose to them.

My one real criticism is that I was a bit disappointed to see none of the NPCs you rescue had sex scenes with the MC. It felt like a missed opportunity honestly, and was a bit surprising to me given how much detail they have. I thought I was missing something before I realized they just didn't exist.

Still, I really did enjoy the game. I feel like I've been given a small window into a surprisingly deep and complex world, and its left me wanting more of it. If this matched some of the other big text-based lewd RPGs in terms of scope/content and kept this level of quality, I have no doubt it would be one of my favorites. Excited for the dev's future projects.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

Kyrozoki

Better than most games. The engine is smooth, and the writing is extremely well done. The sex scenes are also extremely detailed and cater to a lot of different fetishes.

The game is fully text based (aside from the maps and icons), but has enough details to easily imagine what's happening.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

DerpyBarnOwl

Mercanoid is an extremely enjoyable text-based game involving tentacles and lovable characters. I greatly enjoyed reading the content offered and characters, despite some issues.

Content wise, the game has enough. Like others have said, the game doesn't overstay its welcome. From numerous enemies, side-quests, endings, and mechanics, you'll be reading for quite a while if you're in it for the long haul. While I personally wish there was just a little bit more involving some enemies, it is not needed. What's here is already good enough.

The world is sufficiently built up for the scale of the game. As you progress, you will meet more characters, and these new interactions will build up the setting just a little bit more. By the end, you will know of what happened around you and of the outside world to some degree. The characters themselves are enjoyable to interact with and some are pretty adorable.

This game is the testbed for future games by the game developer. There are some issues lying around that we, the community, have already raised about. Most that I know about can be categorized as preference or minor. But there are two issues that should be noted before playing. One is the clothing system. This system is purely cosmetic despite the stats that are a part of the system. The stats are a part of the framework the developer created, but was left out for this game's development. Lastly, the map UI is good, unique, and enjoyable to look at. But, some key elements, like doors inside of a room, can be hard to notice. Again, these issues have been noted, but it is good to know of them before playing.

If you enjoy any of the kinks that the game presents, then I highly recommend playing it. You will have a good time with the world Pyksies has created.
  9. 4.00 star(s)

Thunderune

This is an amazing text RPG with its simple controls and FANTASTIC writing, at no point did I feel the need to just spam through dialogue other characters in the game. The resource mechanics could be a bit more on the important side, but that isn't really the main point of this game. Combat was not the hardest thing, but then again I was playing normal, so I am in the dark about the difficulty in the hard mode. The writing for lewd scenes were amazing and addicting to see and review plus there was no wild hunt to acquire the scenes for viewing which was nice.

Overall the game is fun and engaging to play in general and the lewd scenes are VERY enjoyable to see, it is a must play if you're amicable towards the kinks present within it.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

conspiracyhoax

Outstanding as far as text-based games go, definitely the most fun I've had playing one. The UI is tidy, the map and movement are very satisfying, and the writing is quite decent.

I only have two negative things I could say about MERCANOID, the first being that the game isn't longer. The crafting and RPG mechanics are very fleshed-out and fun but I found that I'd finished the game before I got to really put them to use. There weren't a ton of uses for a few of the stats and I only ever crafted one or two items. That isn't a mark against the game itself however, not every game needs to be long and I applaud a game that leaves me wanting to play more instead of being glad it's finally finished. I also get the impression that this game was made with as a first step towards bigger projects and I look forward to them if that's true.

The second is just a minor issue with menu navigation; namely that there isn't a default "okay" or "next" button outside of combat. In combat you can just hit space to confirm and hit a hotkey for actions, but everywhere else you have to manually click your options from what I understood.

All in all the game has good writing, a fun little story, good UI and great RPG mechanics, looking forward to future works from Pyksies.
  11. 5.00 star(s)

orellion

Adult games this polished are very rare. The dev is a perfectionist and it shows. Loved the map navigation in the sidebar (much more engaging than just text links). Note the game has no art, but the author partially makes up for it with detailed descriptions. Anyone into monsters, tentacles, and Scifi should give it a go.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

juehn

Very well done game. The writing is charming, intersting and appropriately sexy at times. In addition to the main quest, there are multiple side quests that are also interesting to do.
    The gameplay itself is not particularly complex, but sufficient for the task. The game does not overstay its welcome either, if anything, I'd like to explore the world more. Even though personally I'm not into the main tentacle theme, it was still a very enjoyable experience.
  13. 5.00 star(s)

Coomer4571

finished it aroudn 2 hour, the description of the scenes could use a lil bit of work but overall a pretty solid HTML game and better yet a finished one

if i have to put out some complain it would be a few minor things:
    1. some dialogue in battle cannot be skipped with space, there are 1 gialogue box that you need to click isntead of pressing space with in battle, it's annoying but again pretty minor

2. no full focus recovery, you have full recovery for health and flow (mana) however you can only get focus up to 70% without items
    Addendum : there is a full focus recovery once you finished ervina quest

otherwise pretty solid 10/10
  14. 5.00 star(s)

Jef76

I don’t usually play text games but the reviews did not lead me astray, and I don’t think they’ll lead you astray either.

Unlike many text based games out there, this one is finished and trust me, you’ll finish yourself more than once along the way.

Much ado has been made about the lore in this game, which I really appreciate for immersions sake, but I think the real strength of this game is the character writing.

It deals with some heavy subject matter in a shockingly lighthearted way that really endears you to the main character, Mio. I love her. wifey. She’s very terse at first brush, but that’s a result of her being forced to suppress her good nature due to some complex circumstances. Seeing her bounce off the other members of the cast and be annoyed by her ridiculous lewd circumstances is a lot of fun.

Oh, and she’s super hot getting fucked completely silly by all manner of slimy creatures.

In terms of H content, this game really nails the delivery method. You’re exploring and meeting characters while engaging in the occasional (surprisingly enjoyable) battle. However, while most lewds are defeat scenarios, each and every one is unlocked for viewing at your leisure in your “home base” the first time you defeat a monster. That means no rebattling a monster after losing just to get the scene.

And if you feel like losing, the accompanying “bad ends” to each encounter are avoidable so long as your careful. You can continue on no problem after a loss in random encounters.

Content options are also available, which is always a super nice touch. I also love that the kinks for each scene are listed in the scene viewing menu.

To set your expectations for what you can get out of the experience, I’ll list below:

-occasional lesbian action, alongside mio often being flustered by how hot all the big titty ladies around her are
    -shortstacks
    -lots of big tiddy and wide hipped ladies. the mc has a more modest bust
    -Long detailed h-scenes, those of which that feature Mio usually include an optional bad end.
    -Pregnancy and birth content of both the egg and non-egg variety (as non-egg as an android can birth anyway)
    -Fucked silly / ahegao content. Mio as an android isn’t accustomed to any sex, and all of the creatures are purposed organisms designed to fuck your brains out. Expect eye-crossing and loads of “nhooohhhhh”
    -Lighthearted rape. People deal with being turned into broodmothers pretty well all things considered…
    -It’s free!!! Thank you to the dev, you’re the real homie
    -All scenes (even missed or bypassed ones) are unlocked for viewing. Contextualized as masturbating to “what ifs” to quell the mc’s libido and keep her fighting fit.
    -A little bit of minigirl/pixie/fairy content
    -no visuals, no character art

The negatives (in my eyes):
    -So much purple lol. I love the color too, but I wish more of the tentacles had white cum rather than spraying goo. Some do, mind, but in my eyes they should all ;)
    -Pregnancy is afaik limited to bad ends. Makes sense and isn’t uncommon, but still would have appreciated more to it.
    -During h-scenes it can at times get difficult to tell what position the character is in. Not a huge problem, but more and most importantly repeated detail about what the character’s bodies are doing would be nice.
    -room descriptions while exploring are too verbose. it can get exhausting to read all the details, but if you don’t you might feel like you’re missing what’s happening.

All in all I recommend you play the game. You’ll have a good time. Even if you’re not the biggest text adventure fan, this one is well worth the look.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

Rave454

MERCANOID easily has the best writing in any game, text based or otherwise, I've encountered on this site, and the gameplay itself is extremely polished. The scenes are incredibly good, the characters are interesting and endearing, and the lore (as well as the dialogue) could be from a sci-fi novel. The gameplay loop and interactions are engaging, and you don't have to lose to see scenes. I'd read a book by this author/developer if they published one.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

kiDRetadoR

This review is directed towards version 1.0.7, which is the latest version posted in the site.

This game has honestly been quite an interesting and fun experience for me. I was looking for new experiences to play here and there and this game was quite unique.

I don't often do many text based games but this was pretty charming from the get go.

The storywriting in this game is actually really really good, and I can see that there was a lot of emphasis in this aspect of the game besides others that I will soon mention. It felt pretty natural, pretty immersive and captivating.

The different characters you find along the way were pretty unique as well, with pretty different personalities from one another. Some characters I even got a strong dislike to (I'm looking at you Jii'Kii) because of their personality hahaha. The cast of characters is definitely very interesting and fun in their own way. I love the lightheartedness that appears from time to time, considering the situation the characters find themselves in, it has made me laugh as I'm sure the intention was, quite a few funny moments here and there which I have enjoyed.

And I also have to say that I love how Pyksies has gone for a more grounded-up story and impactfulness in the environment in general.

Characters are getting absolutely wrecked sexually by the outbreak yet there is not the typical trope that happens in games where: "Characters are taken by force, abducted, and transformed completely into nothing more than just a sexual doll that has no more desire to fight and has thrown their humanity away"... it's the total opposite, the characters here still keep their humanity and some of them are even traumatized by the events that unfolded there. I really appreciate that myself

And speaking of characters, character development is also pretty good I'd say. You are in the shoes of an android, so to speak, given birth recently that knows some things about life and the world itself, but still doesn't know many other aspects about herself, discovering feelings along the way that she didn't think she had, as well as some other characters there that have a similar thing happen to them. It feels very good for us players, or at least to me, to see these kinds of things happening in a game.

For me personally, the story is as equally important as the gameplay and the smut. It enhances the different aspects of a game a lot, especially when done well, it makes you want to know more about the world the characters are situated in, their backgrounds.. the different personalities that they can have, which you can opt to support and engage with or not. It just makes it a lot more impactful and meaningful, with the bonus smut included here and there, which I appreciate because there's quite a lot of games out there that lack this.

The artwork is quite good, I liked it. Despite the fact that you do not have character CG's, the world is quite well done I'd say. You see the utter chaos that has unfolded everywhere you look, with the slime covering almost every corner of the facility and even impeding the character's progress until you find certain things to help yourself with that, some of those places having the floor completely destroyed so you need to find ways to go through that as well.

There's of course a few things here and there that could be improved for better map navigation, like the fact that you sometimes can't exactly see certain pathways that are available to you. This is specifically a problem in the Monster Pen, it is not impossible to figure it out really but it also took a little bit of tinkering around.

UI and other design choices were pretty good and easy on the eyes as well. I'm a colorful person and I love colors overall but the purple with the black and white speckles is just beautiful.

What can I say about the gameplay mechanics as well. They were pretty darn well thought out, the fact that we can craft our own resources instead of having to spend money on iRIS or M4X is good.

I do have to say though, it would've been nice to have a sort of system where you can see which objects and or items are more important than others, and they could be highlighted differently to signal that. Like key items having a certain distinctive color, powerful weapons having a different one and so on. But it is still pretty good and does it's job as it is now.

Having different weapons to cater for the different routes players will go, if they decide to go for Agility builds they have a different set of agile weapons they can use, if they go for a Strength build then they have forceful weapons that they can use. Tricky ones, etc. This sort of makes me think it was inspired a little bit on soulsborne games, where you have a lot of flexibility as to how you can build your character depending on your tastes.

I'm not the most familiar, well, I have almost no knowledge whatsoever of how D&D works, so figuring out weapon scaling took a little bit of figuring out, but it is good and I'm sure it caters to those types of players as well. Being able to upgrade your weapon as well with the different resources you can scrap around the world, it is a really well planned gameplay structure that I have really enjoyed.

The different skillsets, which again remind me of soulsborne gameplay a little bit. Also the benefits you can get at certain levels, more evasion should you do a more agility based build, more strength, recovery etc... very very good system

I would also like to point out in this regard that, it would've been easier to navigate through the map if we had the possibility to use WASD outside of combat instead of having to click on the arrows at the side of the screen to traverse through the map. This is probably me just getting too used to games like CoC and TiTs, which have this system included and it made traversing through the map less clunky, but I would appreciate it if in the future, should the developer make any other games, this be included.

As for the smut, quite a variety of different kinks to find there, with the possibility to opt-out of certain kinks, like soft-vore, which in my case I did. It is appreciated when a developer allows you to customize, to a certain degree, your experience with the game.

All in all, a pretty darn good game which is definitely worth the time spent on it and totally deserving of the five starts that I'm giving it. Kudos to the developers for making such a good game, and I hope we can see more of your stuff in the future
  17. 5.00 star(s)

Rachnus_Veranai

Overall it was a lovely couple evenings of gameplay, the characters were well written, and many of them likeable, even the ones who weren't so friendly. The amount of worldbuilding within item descriptions and the conversations you could have in the safe room really fleshed out the setting and made it feel like something more than just smut. I'd heavily recommend picking this up and playing it if you have the time and patience, the effort in it shines through wonderfully, and I look forward to the potential of more from this dev. In short, great game, great characters, fun gameplay, good lore.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

Rixen

It's an absolutely awesome text-RPG.

A bit short in my opinion, and with several under-exploited mechanics (I think there's only one opportunity to use the "Perform" skill). Honestly, it feels more like a test run for a more ambitious project.

No matter what, it's still a very good little game, and absolutely worth your time. Certainly one of my favorites in terms of HTML-based games on this site.
  19. 5.00 star(s)

RandomFapinator

Small lightweight HTML that delivers nicely what it wants to deliver: an easily navigable RPG with decent progression, choices and unlockables. The UI is mostly intuitive even if not perfect and the text content is well developed. For people like me who are not native English speakers, a TLDR mode could be great. The gameplay alone is worth it!
  20. 5.00 star(s)

MassCDP

Marvelous, simply marvelous! I've always said that HTML games live and die on their writing alone. Some would try to compensate with hackneyed garbage like stock images and hentai sprinkled in to give the player some eye candy. Not Mercanoid, no sir! Its writing is so detailed, so expansive, and so vivid that anyone with the slightest bit of imagination is placed right into the scene!

My first playthrough was about 3 hours, I certainly could have bum-rushed right to the end, but you're REALLY missing out if you don't engage in the side activities. Not only are you missing out on detailed and entertaining scenes, but you'd also be skipping out on new and powerful equipment.

Easy 5/5 stars from me, I HIGHLY recommend it.