Daz Merging figures

dowjonsie

Dec 5, 2017
Hi. Is it possible to merge separate figure geometry (not geoshell) and rigging? Such as, say, Dweller for G8M and cock-o-rama to impregnator to said G8M and make them all one model? I am trying to work around DAZ one model collision limit and am hoping this would be that work around.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
The key word you should be searching for is "geograft." A geograft is an add-on that can "merge" with a standard Genesis figure. Geografts can have their own bones, and can hide portions of the original figure's anatomy without breaking compatibility.

There's a tutorial here: (as well as any number of others on the web.)

This is how some of the more extraordinary characters on Daz3d.com have been created. Best example I can think of is this one:

Reactions: Madmanator99

dowjonsie

Dec 5, 2017
The key word you should be searching for is "geograft." A geograft is an add-on that can "merge" with a standard Genesis figure. Geografts can have their own bones, and can hide portions of the original figure's anatomy without breaking compatibility.

There's a tutorial here: (as well as any number of others on the web.)

This is how some of the more extraordinary characters on Daz3d.com have been created. Best example I can think of is this one:
The models I am referring to are, I believe, standalone figures/models. Not geografts. Is there possibly a way to convert a model into a geograft?

Correction: the cock-o-rama core is, at least, geograft. I'll look more into the others

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
The models I am referring to are, I believe, standalone figures/models. Not geografts. Is there possibly a way to convert a model into a geograft?
Wasn't familiar with them, so... I'm not an expert on this, because I don't do modeling. But, AFAIK, from Daz Studio's point of view, there's nothing magical about the source for a geograft. It's just a mesh, optionally with some bones. So, in theory, you could just convert one of the figures into a usable mesh. If the figures could be imported into either DS or Blender or the like, then the mesh could be exported as an OBJ, and it would then be importable into DS. Or possibly get it into Blender, edit out the parts you didn't want, and then save as FBX and import into DS, since FBX could carry the bones and weight mapping.

Once you have the raw mesh, rigging and weight mapping into DS, then you just follow the procedure to graft it onto the base figure that you want it to work with.

("just" he says)

At this point, you've about exhausted my knowledge - pretty much all I know about geografts came from a couple of tutorials like the one I posted. But if you're serious about tackling something like that, there are people over on the Daz3d.com forums who've done this and can provide advice. (They're a very helpful lot over there.)

dowjonsie

Dec 5, 2017
Genitals are geografts, same for eyeslashes. I could be very badly wrong, but I don't see how they can make collusion with another mesh (outside the one they are merged from) o_O.
Yeah, golden palace and new gens are geografts. And so are a few schlongs. But the cock-o-rama dongers are actual figure models. I figured out how to merge a geograft with a parent as a single mesh. But it still fucks with my entire idea that I can't get the cock-o-rama to become a single mesh. I'm either stuck with slightly realistic penetration and simple bubble like belly bulge and skin grabbing deformations or the exact inverse and it kinda sucks. Maybe creating a collidable geoshell will cover the G8M and cor models. IDK. We'll see.

I believe you should also be able to set the collision in the target model (being g8f) and point the collisions to the genital/what I hope to be g8m

Last edited:

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Geografts are figures that attach to the main figure in Daz by replacing one or more polygones with a bunch of new ones (the graft mesh basically). If they don't replace polygones, then they are not geografts. And just like any other figure, they can have one collision target set in their Smoothing Modifier, but as usual it's a one-way street.

Exemple, G8F + GP and G8M + Dicktator:
GP set to collide with Dicktator (Dicktator can deform GP).
G8F set to collide with G8M (G8M can deform G8F).

These can collide at the same time no problem (for this to work, Smoothing Modifiers needs to be added to both the G8F and GP, and Interactive Update turned On for GP, possibly for G8F if you want to see it in the Viewport). But ...

You may wonder why adding the smoothing modifier when there is already one on a freshly loaded G8F? Well, that's usually the eyelashes' smoothing modifier, not the G8F. G8F doesn't have one by default (nor any Genesis figure afaik) because it basically destroys the details of the mesh, since it smooths the shape, at the same time as it collides it. Hence the need for geografts like Breastacular, or Fender Bender, they make localised/specific areas collidable, while keeping most of the figure as detailed as possible.

Last edited:

dowjonsie

Dec 5, 2017
Geografts are figures that attach to the main figure in Daz by replacing one or more polygones with a bunch of new ones (the graft mesh basically). If they don't replace polygones, then they are not geografts. And just like any other figure, they can have one collision target set in their Smoothing Modifier, but as usual it's a one-way street.

These can collide at the same time no problem (for this to work, Smoothing Modifiers needs to be added to both the G8F and GP, and Interactive Update turned On for GP, possibly for G8F if you want to see it in the Viewport). But ...

You may wonder why adding the smoothing modifier when there is already one on a freshly loaded G8F? Well, that's usually the eyelashes' smoothing modifier, not the G8F. G8F doesn't have one by default (nor any Genesis figure afaik) because it basically destroys the details of the mesh, since it smooths the shape, at the same time as it collides it. Hence the need for geografts like Breastacular, or Fender Bender, they make localised/specific areas collidable, while keeping most of the figure as detailed as possible.
Thanks for these bits of info. My biggest thing is belly bulges and grab deforms. I've used sfm enough to be tired of balloon or rounded shape bulges to now want a form that'd be more like the skin and muscle of pelvis hugging something underneath it. I used the smooth modifier on my g8f and though it did lose some detail, I'm satisfied enough (with a little extra intensity on HD morphing).

I feel like the problem of only 1 collision target could be circumvented if two figures can be merged. I know of merging a geograft to a figure, but that doesn't resolve my problem when the important model from C-o-r isn't a geograft

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018

I think I got you (or not lol). But since geografts can't collide with multiple targets (far I know), how do you keep your GP/Dicktator integrity on your original model?

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
You are correct, they are just like any figures (clothes, hairs, shoes, etc) they can only have one target.
To keep the integrity, if I understaind you correctly, I just try to keep each of the colliding areas away from the polygone line that connects the grafts to the figure. It's not optimal, but as long as the collisions are far away enought, it works (for example, I do not try to pose Dicktator as touching GP And G8F, or a G8M hand touching both G8F and part of GP).

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
You are correct, they are just like any figures (clothes, hairs, shoes, etc) they can only have one target.
To keep the integrity, if I understaind you correctly, I just try to keep each of the colliding areas away from the polygone line that connects the grafts to the figure. It's not optimal, but as long as the collisions are far away enought, it works (for example, I do not try to pose Dicktator as touching GP And G8F, or a G8M hand touching both G8F and part of GP).
Interdasting. I don't do animation but it seems like a fair trade off :unsure:

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
There are tricks that can be done to imitate multiple collisions from the same source on multiple targets, but that involves duplicating the source figure.
For example, say you want your G8M (not Dicktator) to touch both G8F and GP, then you need 2 G8Ms and 1 G8F with 1 GP, posed the exact same way, then :
Set G8F to collide with G8M1 (G8M1 deforms G8F).
Set GP to collide with G8M2 and hide G8M2 (G8M2 deforms GP even when invisible) .
For this, Dicktator does not interact. And only one render is needed.

Now if you want multiple sources to collide with multiple targets (Dicktator also colliding), that involves either duplicating both the source and target, or changing the collisions between the renders, and there will be some post-work involved.
For example, G8M touching both G8F And GP while Dicktator touches both G8F And GP, for that you need 2 G8Ms + 2 Dicktators and 2 G8Fs with 2 GPs, posed the exact same way, then :
Set G8F1 to collide with G8M1.
Set GP1 to collide with G8M2 and hide G8M2.
Set GP2 to collide with Dicktator1.
Set G8F2 to collide with Dicktator2 and hide Dicktator2.
Render once with G8F1+GP1 visible/G8F2+GP2 invisible, and again with G8F1+GP1 invisible/G8F2+GP2visible, and do some post work in photoshop or gimp to merge the results (spot render helps with this case).

Changing the collisions between renders is also possible if you want to use just one of each figure as well, but you get the idea, it involves either that, or multiple figures posed the same way, and multiple renders, then post-work to merge the renders into one image, tedious sadly for that one.