Votes: 6 9.0%
  • You can 1-2 pieces per game

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • I hate mini games

Votes: 28 41.8%

• Total voters

CyMpaK

Feb 19, 2020
In some games, they are found. Some are missing. Somewhere boring, somewhere interesting. Do you think they are needed at all?

AnimeKing314

Giant Perv
Game Developer
Jun 28, 2018
If they actually add to the story/immersion and make sense in the context of the game then it's fine but I have yet to see one where that is actually the case. Most of the time they are just annoying and don't add anything.

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Well, they're no substitute for real gameplay, but if that is in place, then a couple of minigames can help keep things a bit more varied.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
I have nothing against the concept. I can't think of a single H game where I've actually liked them, though, and very few 'normal' games either.

H games with actual gameplay are another story entirely though, those I tend to dig.

Deleted member 1684328

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2019
Most minigames are of no use or are fun to play one time, and after that they become cumbersome and boring. A lot of developers spend (in my opinion waste) a lot of time trying to hack some stuff together in RenPy to make a "fun" minigame, but I have never say someone say they liked a minigame. Only that it wasn't as bad as expected.

If there's a game with a difficult minigame I can't skip, or if it takes too much time, I skip it. Unskippable minigames are bad, if you give people the option to skip them I am sure 85% will just do that. Then you have to wonder if it was even worth it putting the minigame there.

Reactions: CyMpaK

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
Depends on the game, for renpy's they can work great especially when earning money for the mc or doing chores/work, or even as a side minigame which could grant skill points, but other than that they shouldnt be too exaggerated in the story

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
if it fits, it's good. if it doesn't fit it's bad. generally anything that adds challenge in a meaningful way is good.

Reactions: HandofVecna

Niv-Mizzet the Firemind

Mar 15, 2020
Misses the "depends on the game". Generally speaking, no, they are useless and uninspired and I will most likely skip them. For example, the minigames in Milfy City and many other games where you play for money are an exercise in how fast you can enable the console to cheat money in.

There are good minigames out there, such as the poker minigame in Love of Magic is actually good, and so are the contracts (if you can consider them minigames at all) in the DeLuca Family, but these two are the only games I've actually had fun with minigames.

Reactions: Droid Productions
D

Deleted member 1371216

As long as it's not tedious like it is in My Cute Roommate, I kinda like doing something to get the reward.

darkduck09

Jan 20, 2019
Mini-games are usually hit or miss and really depend on context. For instance, take Mass Effect (since I've been playing the legendary edition lately). In Mass Effect 1 the mini game to unlocking containers was quick, easy, and didn't feel cumbersome. You could also just automatically open containers by using up a resource that you have plenty of by the end of your first mission anyway. Then move on to Mass Effect 2. The hacking and unlocking mini-games are ATTROCIOUS. They halt game play, and while they would be fun in some settings aren't fun in a game based entirely on free movement. Pacing I think is the key here. If you have a fast paced game, you probably don't need a mini-game.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Misses the "depends on the game". Generally speaking, no, they are useless and uninspired and I will most likely skip them. For example, the minigames in Milfy City and many other games where you play for money are an exercise in how fast you can enable the console to cheat money in.

There are good minigames out there, such as the poker minigame in Love of Magic is actually good, and so are the contracts (if you can consider them minigames at all) in the DeLuca Family, but these two are the only games I've actually had fun with minigames.
I haven't played the reworked DeLuca missions, but Love of Magic is not a mini game. It's the combat system. Mini games would be like the puzzles and fight app on BaDIK. Fight game was actually pretty fun. I liked it. It could even be considered the combat system of that game. The puzzle shit where you shift around blocks on a picture to make it whole is utterly and absolutely fucking useless, boring, and annoying.

The main thing about any kind of minigame is... don't fucking link it to a grind mechanic. Whatever type of mini game can be a tolerable, or even an enjoyable experience if it's a one time deal related to the story. If you have do it dozens or hundreds of times as part of the grind for money/stats, nothing you do will make it fun, short of it being a full fledged combat system.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
99% of minigames in adult games and VNs are boring and annoying. One of the few exceptions is games from The Architect.

Uncle Grabby

Feb 16, 2017
I hate mini-games in my erotic games. I only have enough blood to power my peepee or my brain.

Let me say it right now: if you like mini-games, more power to you. I just wanna choke my chicken.

However, I should add that I don't really mind mini-games if it's a one-time deal or part of the story. Just don't put a mini-game when I'm trying to do the horizontal lambada with the hottie, or like what desmosome mentioned - linking it to a grind mechanic.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Laikhent

Rando Civ

LMFAO.
Game Developer
Jul 31, 2017
I have no problem with them, so long as they are easy and used to kill time.
You don't need to make them absurdly hard.

HentaiHerald

Jun 25, 2017
I like mini games for certain things, like lock-picking, hacking, or games that pertain to the story. I actually really enjoy mini games in the game if done correctly. I love having to do a little of work to unlock the goods. However, mini games that you are forced to play every single time you have to work a job or read a book to gain intelligence or whatever is SUPER annoying and makes me want to cheat.

K.T.L.

Keeping Families Together
Donor
Mar 5, 2019
I really dislike them. In some cases, at least in renpy, I've gone as far as changing code to bypass minigames, or making it impossible to lose! To me, they're invariably an annoying waste of my time.