Daz Minor differences between renders created in Daz 4.12 and 4.14?

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
For scenes that differ only in the facial expression, for example, I use spot render and GIMP to replace part of the original image with a spot render. I noticed that when I open some scenes created in daz 4.12, I make small changes and save them, I render them as a spot render in Daz 4.14, at the border of the spot render there is sometimes a small difference in color. I did not change the lighting conditions.
The reason is not that the spot render is not big enough and a change in facial expression will make a slight change in the shadow of the neck, for example.
The difference can be seen, for example, on a wall far behid my characters.

Do you know what elements can cause these small changes in lighting conditions between DAz Studio versions?

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Are you sure it's the versions causing it, it happens to me from time to time and for the life of me I cannot work out why, but it will do it the same or any version.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Are you sure it's the versions causing it, it happens to me from time to time and for the life of me I cannot work out why, but it will do it the same or any version.
Well, I'm not sure, but because it happened to me after the transition from 4.12 to 4.14 and I haven't experienced it before, the transition to the new version is the main sucpect for me.
But re-rendering a few scenes is probably the easiest solution.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
The updated version of Daz Studio includes a new version of the underlying iRay engine. It's been my experience that each iteration of iRay introduces minor variations in the resulting images. (Sometimes not-so-minor, but that's usually when they've fixed a bug and you've essentially relied on the buggy behavior.)

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
This is something that really pisses me off.
After another DAZ update, I just wanted to add a few scenes that differ only in details like facial expressions from the existing scene. And the lighting in some scenes is again quite different than in the previous version of DAZ

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
These are differences caused solely by the update to DAZ 4.15.0.30. No changes were made to the scene or render settings. The difference is especially noticeable when you look at the body parts underwater.
OLD
old.png

NEW
new.png

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
These are differences caused solely by the update to DAZ 4.15.0.30. No changes were made to the scene or render settings. The difference is especially noticeable when you look at the body parts underwater.
Yes, there are slight differences, but I'll lay dollars to donuts that most of your game's players won't ever notice them. We're our own worst critics when it comes to renders... :D

linkinn

Apr 25, 2020
With daz updates comes iray updates so there is not much that can be done.

You can check if you have instancing optimization in memory or speed in either one of the renders, sometimes lights can act funky in speed optimization (specially ghost lights).

Reactions: lawfullame

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Yes, there are slight differences, but I'll lay dollars to donuts that most of your game's players won't ever notice them. We're our own worst critics when it comes to renders... :D
They will notice the difference if the next render rendered from the same camera position immediately follows the first one.
I noticed immediately, and it was like WTF.
I have to re-render a couple of renders that follow each other.
With daz updates comes iray updates so there is not much that can be done.

You can check if you have instancing optimization in memory or speed in either one of the renders, sometimes lights can act funky in speed optimization (specially ghost lights).
I haven't changed this setting but thanks for the tip. It's possible that this has changed where I have instancing optimization set to auto.
I use ghost light and other emissive surfaces in most scenes.

Last edited: