Tool RPGM mkxp - Play RPG Maker XP/VX/VX ACE on Linux, Mac and Windows

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
With mkxp you can play "RPG Maker XP", "RPG Maker VX" and "RPG Maker VX Ace" on Linux and Mac without using winehq.
mkxp is a project that seeks to provide a fully open source implementation of the Ruby Game Scripting System (RGSS) interface used in the popular game creation software "RPG Maker XP", "RPG Maker VX" and "RPG Maker VX Ace" (trademark by Enterbrain, Inc.), with focus on Linux. The goal is to be able to run games created with the above software natively without changing a single file.
Personally I prefer using it in windows too, since it supports fullcsreen by pressing the keys "alt" and "Enter" while preserving the aspect ratio.
Another plus is that advanced users can inject raw scripts when loading the game by creating/modifying the "mkxp.conf".

Instructions:
- Download one of the Prebuilt binaries Linux/OSX/Windows
For Linux download the "mkxp-20180121.tar.xz"
For Mac choose the "mkxp-6-8-2018-withrubyzlib.zip"
For Windows choose the "mkxp-20190518.zip"

Instructions for Linux: Copy the game files and folders in the same directory where you extracted the mkxp. Depending on your OS you need to execute either the "mkxp.amd64" or the "mkxp.x86"
open the console in the folder directory and run if you have a 32bit OS
Code:
chmod +x mkxp.x86
or for a 64bit OS
Code:
chmod +x mkxp.amd64
Then to play the game you open the console in the folder directory and run
Code:
./mkxp.x86
or
Code:
./mkxp.amd64
accordingly.
Update: attached a " linux mkxp launchers.zip" containing 2 launchers 1 for the x86 version and 1 for the x64 version. You can use them to start mkxp.x86 or mkxp.amd64 without running the console. The first time efore executing them you should run in the console.
Code:
chmod +x launcher_mkxp_x86.desktop
Code:
chmod +x launcher_mkxp_amd64.desktop
Instructions for Mac: Copy the game files and folders in the diretory "mkxp.app/Contents/MacOS/". Run the mkxp app and play the game.

Instructions for Windows: Copy the game files and folder in the same directory where you extracted the mkxp. Run the mkxp.exe to play the game.

If a game does not have the rtp files just download the correct "...RTP.zip" for your game and extract its files and folders in the same directory where you copied the game files/folders. Pay attention to not overwrite any of the existing files.

Update: I attached in a zip mkxp_addons.zip the config file and the two raw ruby scripts, that I use when playing games that come with lots of custom plugins.
Just extract it in the game directory. If the game that you want ot play comes with a renamed exe (and not the default Game.exe) you should open the "mkxp.conf" file with a text editor find the string "execName=Game" and use the name of the exe.
edit: attached 3 different zips mkxp_addons_1.zip, mkxp_addons_2.zip and mkxp_addons_3.zip. 2 and 3 are slightly modified versions that the freebird games use. In case of errors with the first you can try the other two.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
mirror of "mkxp-20180121.tar.xz"
mirror of "mkxp-6-8-2018-withrubyzlib.zip"
mirror of "mkxp-20190518.zip"

mirrors expired and I do not have a backup (cannot reupload them)

Windows and linux users can use Falcon-mkxp
https://f95zone.to/threads/falcon-mkxp.49367/

and Mac users
mkxp-z (it brakes compatibility with some games)

Last edited:

avn10.6.8

Jul 30, 2017
I have an mac and for some reason I can't play games like zombie life, Urban demons and the last sovereign?
I keep getting a blank screen and I follow the instrutions copying everything to mac os in the app.
for Zombie life it can't detect Game.ini even though its there

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
I have an mac and for some reason I can't play games like zombie life, Urban demons and the last sovereign?
I keep getting a blank screen and I follow the instrutions copying everything to mac os in the app.
for Zombie life it can't detect Game.ini even though its there
A lot of games are not compatible with mkxp (especially if they use some fancy scripts)
Zombie's Life for example is not compatible (a lot of scripts give errors even in the linux and the windows version).
Also it keeps getting stuck
I have not tested much the mac version so do not know how well it behaves.
You can try e.g. Treasure hunter Mai that is fully compatible with windows and linux mkxp.

ps. for games that are not compatible you can use or (both can turn windows apps into standalone apps/wrappers)

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018
You can try e.g. Treasure hunter Mai that is fully compatible with windows and linux mkxp.
Wasn't able to launch that game on Linux with mkxp. I've just got the message "No game script specified (missing Game.ini?)" and that's all. Game.exe runs under Wine without any issues.

Last edited:

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
Wasn't able to launch that game on Linux with mkxp. I've just got the message "No game script specified (missing Game.ini?)" and that's all. Game.exe runs under Wine without any issues.
The unix version is a bit picky...:giggle:
Edit your Game.ini and change it from
Code:
[Game]
rtp = RPGVXAce
library = System\RGSS301.dll
scripts = Data\Scripts.rvdata2
title = Treasure Hunter Mai
to
Code:
[Game]
RTP=RPGVXAce
Library=System\RGSS301.dll
Scripts=Data\Scripts.rvdata2
Title=Treasure Hunter Mai

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018
The unix version is a bit picky...:giggle:
Edit your Game.ini and change it from
Code:
[Game]
rtp = RPGVXAce
library = System\RGSS301.dll
scripts = Data\Scripts.rvdata2
title = Treasure Hunter Mai
to
Code:
[Game]
RTP=RPGVXAce
Library=System\RGSS301.dll
Scripts=Data\Scripts.rvdata2
Title=Treasure Hunter Mai
Well, now I've got an another error:
Code:
{0000}:764:in `<class:String>': uninitialized constant String::Win32API (NameError)
And a similar error with Warlock and Boobs:
Code:
{0121}:14:in `singleton class': uninitialized constant Module::Win32API (NameError)

Last edited:

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
Well, now I've got an another error:
Code:
{0000}:764:in `<class:String>': uninitialized constant String::Win32API (NameError)
And a similar error with Warlock and Boobs:
Code:
{0121}:14:in `singleton class': uninitialized constant Module::Win32API (NameError)
For those you'll have to use rpgmaker xp ace editor, find the string and modify it. Usually it happens on fan translated games where the program used for tanslation, inserted or removed a "space" or a "symbol" before a parameter in a stirng. Other times are caused because a parameter was translated on some parts of the database but left unchnaged on other instances.
{xxxx} = the position of the plugin/module in the database
and
:xxx: = the line of the string to be reviewed/modified
If you give me a save just before they happen describing how you triggered them, I can check/troubleshoot them.

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018
For those you'll have to use rpgmaker xp ace editor, find the string and modify it. Usually it happens on fan translated games where the program used for tanslation, inserted or removed a "space" or a "symbol" before a parameter in a stirng. Other times are caused because a parameter was translated on some parts of the database but left unchnaged on other instances.
{xxxx} = the position of the plugin/module in the database
and
:xxx: = the line of the string to be reviewed/modified
If you give me a save just before they happen describing how you triggered them, I can check/troubleshoot them.
There are no saves, those errors occur at the start.

Last edited:

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018
I attached another two addons in the first post. You can try with those (2 and 3) to see if it makes a difference.
OK, I tried them all. The only difference was number of line where that error occured. Also I installed Ubuntu 19.10 in my VirtualBox, tried it there - no difference compared to my Arch Linux.

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
OK, I tried them all. The only difference was number of line where that error occured. Also I installed Ubuntu 19.10 in my VirtualBox, tried it there - no difference compared to my Arch Linux.
I have a very strong suspicion that you have not added the rtp files in the game....
If a game does not have the rtp files just download the correct "...RTP.zip" for your game and extract its files and folders in the same directory where you copied the game files/folders. Pay attention to not overwrite any of the existing files.

Reactions: johnelros

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
If a dev or a user wants to mod/hack mkxp to allow custom resolutions he can use the dependency kit and when you go to compile from the source you should replace the source files config.cpp, config.h, graphics.cpp and graphics.h with those in the zip attached. (a small modification of the original of ancurio, taken from the derivate of joiplay)

After compiling you can edit the mkxp.conf in the end add the settings
forcedWidth=<your custom width>
forcedHeight=<your custom height>

Last edited:
Reactions: johnelros

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
Another derivate that is worth mentioning is made from inori-z.
And on you can read more info, learn how to troubleshoot it and how compile it.
When I made the guide/tutorial in august it gave me a lot of problems and didn't mention it.
But... it made huge steps forward since then and now is almost in stable condition.
Still has some problems (eg. I cannot rebind correctly the keys and I cannot run it inside sandboxie in windows) but other than that runs fine with some games.
you can download the latest precompiled versions (you should click on Assets to view them)
mkxp-z releases.JPG

Screenshot of Queen in Deficit in mkxp-z (=ideal for games with resolution higher than 640x480) :)
The linux version does not like the two plugins does not "音量変更スクリプトさん" and "Input.mouse" (cannot understant the kernel32 strings)
mkxp-z Queen in Deficit.JPG

Pay attention that mkxp-z is not compatible with the fullscreen++ plugin.
Screenshot of Coming Of Age after removing the fullscreen++ plugin
mkxp-z Coming of age.JPG

Last edited:

nagyond

Jul 26, 2017
Thanks it's really helpful.

But I'm curious, is there a way to turn off the background music?
Pressing F1 only brings up key binding and most games don't have ingame options.

Reactions: pk2000