modding question (avoiding label conflicts)

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I've been working on a mod for Babysitter for awhile now and I'm wondering if there is an easier way to avoid label conflicts than the method I've been using. I have a large number of original events that use my own labels but I also end up having to edit a lot of events from the vanilla game. What I've been doing when a new version comes out is to just go through the script.rpy file and delete every label in the vanilla game that matches one in my mod and then paste all of my events in there.

What I'd like to do is just put all my stuff into a separate file and have something that tells the game if there's 2 events with the same label (one in script.rpy and one in my mod, ignore the one in script.rpy and use mine instead). That would allow me to avoid problems where I missed an event or 2 when I was going through the original script and then end up with duplicate events once I add mine. Is there a way to do that? I suspect the answer is no since designing your game from scratch that way would be dumb but it would make modding easier.

Epadder

Programmer
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2016
I haven't used this but there is a way to define label overrides, I'm sure you will still have to use a separate name for your replacements or you'll still get errors.

Here it is in the .

Reactions: khumak

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I haven't used this but there is a way to define label overrides, I'm sure you will still have to use a separate name for your replacements or you'll still get errors.

Here it is in the .
Oh nice. That's not exactly what I was looking for but I can see how I could make that do mostly the same thing. I'd have to change all of my edited events to have different label names if I did that but at least I wouldn't have to go delete any vanilla events that way. Would just need a bunch of override definitions. Thanks.