Mouth to bright

Chatterbox

Game Developer
May 28, 2018
I've been looking google and for threads involving this subject and can't find anything.

Is there a way to keep a character's mouth from being lit up like a damn Christmas tree in Iray?

I use the three and sometimes four point light system, and I always have to keep their mouth shut or get that un-natural look with light entering their mouth. Even if I move the spotlights farther up, I get the same problem.

Thanks,
Chatterbox

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
Can you block off the light going to the mouths?
Or put a layer or texture over the mouth that's not reflective or absorbs light?

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
I've only played with objects and a single G3 female in a volleyball/beach/scifi scene in Daz3D a few years ago. Can't remember this technique where you "block off" lighting areas you don't need that out of you field of view so it speeds up your render time. It was on Shark's Lagoon. And I think in that same subforum they talked about teeth, eyes and mouth lighting.

Reactions: bas

Chatterbox

Game Developer
May 28, 2018
I've only played with objects and a single G3 female in a volleyball/beach/scifi scene in Daz3D a few years ago. Can't remember this technique where you "block off" lighting areas you don't need that out of you field of view so it speeds up your render time. It was on Shark's Lagoon. And I think in that same subforum they talked about teeth, eyes and mouth lighting.
You might be thinking about 3Dlight's object occlusion.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
I've been looking google and for threads involving this subject and can't find anything.

Is there a way to keep a character's mouth from being lit up like a damn Christmas tree in Iray?

I use the three and sometimes four point light system, and I always have to keep their mouth shut or get that un-natural look with light entering their mouth. Even if I move the spotlights farther up, I get the same problem.

Thanks,
Chatterbox
Your Google-fu is weak...

Reactions: bas

Chatterbox

Game Developer
May 28, 2018
Your Google-fu is weak...
I did run into that. It was from 2015, and talks about RayTraced, which is 3Dlight. I don't think there is a RayTraced option in Iray.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
I did run into that. It was from 2015, and talks about RayTraced, which is 3Dlight. I don't think there is a RayTraced option in Iray.
When in doubt, RTFM.

Page 79.

Frankly, I don't know if this will solve your problem, but this is what they were referring to in the article. Good luck.

Reactions: Huitieme and bas

Chatterbox

Game Developer
May 28, 2018
When in doubt, RTFM.

Page 79.

Frankly, I don't know if this will solve your problem, but this is what they were referring to in the article. Good luck.
Thank you, but those are 3Dlight settings. It's a completely different rendering engine, and those options are blacked out when using Iray rendering engine.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
Thank you, but those are 3Dlight settings. It's a completely different rendering engine, and those options are blacked out when using Iray rendering engine.
Ah, I see what you mean now. I was barking up the wrong tree. :oops:
I fiddled with it a little and the only quick solution I could find was turning the mouth surface base color from white to light grey. Hope that helps.
Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

Reactions: Chatterbox

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
I don't know exactly the problem without an image, but perhaps you can adjust how light react changing some properties of mouth or teeth surfaces.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Ah, I see what you mean now. I was barking up the wrong tree. :oops:
I fiddled with it a little and the only quick solution I could find was turning the mouth surface base color from white to light grey. Hope that helps.
That is, usually, the way to handle this in iRay if the person who developed the character has made the teeth pure white. Nothing in nature reflects 100% of incoming light, which is what a pure white means to Daz. I've seen it said that the closest is new snow, which can reflect about 70%. There are other settings that might be tweaked as well.

@Chatterbox - what figure is it you're having problems with?

Reactions: Papa Ernie

Chatterbox

Game Developer
May 28, 2018
That is, usually, the way to handle this in iRay if the person who developed the character has made the teeth pure white. Nothing in nature reflects 100% of incoming light, which is what a pure white means to Daz. I've seen it said that the closest is new snow, which can reflect about 70%. There are other settings that might be tweaked as well.

@Chatterbox - what figure is it you're having problems with?
Yeah I hear ya. What I referring to though isn't the teeth. What is happening is the light from the spotlights is just lighting up the inside of the mouth. Generally when you talk to someone, you can't see their tongue, or very far into their mouth.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Yeah I hear ya. What I referring to though isn't the teeth. What is happening is the light from the spotlights is just lighting up the inside of the mouth. Generally when you talk to someone, you can't see their tongue, or very far into their mouth.
Ah, OK. Well, if you point a flashlight at someone's mouth... LOL. But the same principle would apply - you could "tone down" the surfaces inside the mouth by dialing down the diffuse color.