Music and sound effects

Nobody Cares

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
I was considering adding some basic sound effects (traffic, chattering in the background, a phone ringing) and/or some music to the game. Alas, I am likely to blow most of my budget on the art. Considering I want to remain within the limits of both law and ethics, what options do I have?

shabadu

Jun 5, 2020
You should be pretty well covered, depending on just what you're looking for.

has sections just for music and sound effects. The same goes for . Just make sure you catch the license it's under and follow it's rules, though if you don't want the hassle you can just grab anything under CC0 and not have to worry. Also, don't overlook just being your own foley artist. If you have a cellphone made within the last 15 years or so, then it should have some way to record audio with its microphone. Make your own footstep SFX or traffic noise or whatever you need.

There's also a bunch of royalty-free music up for grabs by various artists all over youtube, soundcloud, and so on, but finding something suitable for your specific game will probably take some time. It seems like the vast majority of songs that get released like this are some flavor of lo-fi, but there is a good variety to be had if you keep looking.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Nobody Cares