VN - Ren'Py - Completed - My Darling In The 90s [Final] [Osjey Games]

1. 2.00 star(s)

toak

Interesting premise that fails to deliver.

Story 5/10

The story's not great but there's an actual story there. Sort of. So I'll give it a 5.

Story is, you're kind of an introvert loser who confesses to your high school crush (Rei) that you've never once talked to and you get soundly rejected. Now instead of brushing it off and moving on with your life, you spend the next couple years building a time machine to try to confess again.

Things go awry and you teleport yourself to the 90s, basically the year of your birth, and your parents' generation is in high school.

The tl;dr is, Mia, your crush's mother, is pregnant from your father. So the girl you confessed to is your half sister. Mia is frankly unstable and suicidal. If you talk to her and reject her, she commits suicide.

There's also Haruka, your mom's best friend. She's currently Mia's best friend, while only acquaintances with your mom. That's pretty much her role here but she also takes an oversized role in the endings.

There's a number of endings. 5 to be exact.
    1. Mia and Me - You fall in love with Mia and you take the long way back to the present. Your other self, grows up and confesses to Rei and Rei reciprocates. Weird ending.
    2. Rei - You convince Mia to get together with your father and you take the short way back to the present. This is fucked up future where your dad leaves Mia and Mia kills herself. Since your dad was a shitty father to Rei, she turns out kinda like a loser as well. So you pick up the broken pieces and bang her and live out your life with her. Oh yeah you convince Rei you're genetically her half sibling but she doesn't care.
    3. Playtoy - You get to know Haruka but also Mia, then reject Mia, bang her, and she kills herself. You take the shortway back to the future and you meet the present Haruka, who's always had a crush on you anyhow. Well, since now you're a clone of your present self, she takes advantage of that and you become her plaything.
    4. Forever Haruka - You get together with Haruka and take the long way back. Mia's offed herself for no reason so it's just you and Mia. The end.
    5. True End - You get together with Haruka but also know Mia and convince her to get together with your dad then take the long way back. You're close family friends with Mia and Rei. Your dad ditches Mia and Rei but it's okay since you're one big happy family.
    The endings were not very satisfying. There needs to be a harem ending with both Mia and Haruka as otherwise every other ending ends with someone dissatisfied.

The story itself was not too great. Mia is kind of crazy and "falls in love with you" within a single conversation. Haruka falls in love with you on first sight. Rei falls for you over the course of a single day. The entire reason you went back in time is because you have zero game and now you suddenly have the ability to make chicks fall for you left and right?

Gameplay 3/10

Standard-ish visual novel. Or as standard as a time loop VN can be.

The controls are not explained at all so it took me trial and error to figure out there was even a fast forward button and a hide-UI-so-you-can-see-the-goods button.

The story loops, sure, but if the story repeats the same lines in a different location (forest vs. house) you can't fast forward through it even though the text is the same.

Art 2/10

The art's pretty trash. It's the 90s, I got it. The visuals tried to follow 90s VNs like "True Love" but the 90s 16-bit graphics sucked.

Overall 3/10

Interesting premise but poor execution.

The story needs to be longer and better written. The characters need to make sense. There needs to be a "best" ending. And the art needs to be good.
  2. 4.00 star(s)

Jack Beauregard

-------- (o˘◡˘o) --------

A short and good time travel story. For me, it's the exception that proves the rule.

In general, I always find these time travel stories ridiculous and incoherent (yes, I'm thinking of you Tokyo Revengers) but I found this, cute, touching and seductive.

The game offers us several endings, some good and some bad, of course, but I won't say any more because I don't want to spoil anything.

Visually, it's interesting and rather well done. The mix of 2D and pixel art distinguishes it from other VNs. And it's animated, which is always a plus.

It's rare, so I'll mention it, but the music is very good. It accompanies us perfectly.

As a weak point, I can't think of anything other than the duration, but maybe that's for the best.

In short, I give it a solid 4,5*(4* on the site) I highly recommend it, especially given the time involved. And since criticism is easier than practice, I would like to say thank you and congratulations to Osjey Games for their work.

Signed Jack Beauregard
  3. 5.00 star(s)

dietmountaindew

A short, trippy and moving game. With a beautiful, retro art style and a really fun storyline.

I really enjoyed playing this.

The lewd content is decent enough, but the plot is what I stayed for. One of the few VNs that does time travel well.

This is highly slept on and underappreciated.

5*
  4. 5.00 star(s)

E$DRHUIJ:

It was a pleasant game, the Art was average-- enough to make me hard. The story was brilliant, the first game I've played every ending to see what the Author spent their effort on. I really did spend an hour just to achieve the Alabama ending. All in all, I think if you need emotional fulfillment, you'll find it with loved ones or in this game.

Make no mistake, I love this game-- but if I had any advice to give, if at all, the art could improve, there could be more animations. In every sector of sense this game was Amazing and I will be finding this development team and donating.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

starmaster29

Wow, excellent game! I enjoyed the time travel plot and the various endings. Also love the change in art style and music between the 90s and the present. H scenes were great and served the story quite well.

Definitely worth playing through until the end.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

-FibaG-

Not bad game at all it remind me of steins gate bcs have time travel theme.
    Switch between pixel to 2d graphic is interesting concept but I don't like pixel graphic it hurt me eyes, but I don't mind it bcs I want to see the story where will be going. I think I only can complain is in all routes mc don't have chance to have hes own children with heroines.

Some endings ar good and some ar bad but I like Blond Haruka is the best ending in my opinion.
    I can tell is a safe decent game to spend time if you like time travel theme...the story is okay it's not mind blowing like masterpiece steins gate but it's okay for short game. I think is first game for this dev, I can't complain.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

Fxfalls

This game really takes a new outlook on time travel. Due to one heartbreak, the mc gains varies paths that he can tread down and some just break your heart. i really enjoyed this game and I hope you do too!
  8. 5.00 star(s)

Ialdabaoth

My Darling in the 90s - Steins;Gate but with more pooning

This game is a short but fantastic romp of teen angst, deeper seated issues and why it's important to not be a dumbass parent.

Leaving the nutty leaps of logic aside, this game is a fantastic blend of nostalgia for those old JAST 95 games like True Love or Season of the Sakura along with some of the more modern stuff using Live2D.

Wish there were more paths to take (or more scenes with the adult characters) but eh, I find it funny this game was banned from Steam, like what the fuck XD

I give this game a 4.8/5
  9. 5.00 star(s)

Melterino

Really decent little visual novel! I love the shift from replicated 90's anime art to modern day style. Could definitely be developed further or just make a full on 90's style art game. I have a soft spot after playing all the classics on Asenheim website.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

Zeinhold

Good story. I was able to finish it 100% in 2-3 hours, but I'm a speed reader. Had a couple of tear-jerker moments however. Be absolutely certain you don't mind reading some heart-rending stuff if you're going for the full completion.

9/10- Needs more MILF Haruka and MILF Mia.
  11. 5.00 star(s)

Ozzymandias

Unexpected journey, wont really make you cry, but enough to tug at my heartstrings. Definitely worth your time.
    Sex scenes are quite good, tho i expected a sex scene for the Rei path.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

HueyFreeman32

I don't know much on how reviews should go or anything really, but I will try to explain as best as i can. Simply, this Novel was excellent . the concept, dual art style of retro and current mixing with the story, characters. the themes, the scenes, the dark and light tones and imagery that was subtle or overt enough . This is definitely a must play. the replicability great too. i suggest anyone , give this a chance and u will love it. i hope this creator makes more projects in the future. hell i would love a sequel of this. but i plan on trying to keep an eye on their future endeavors on novels in the future.