VN - Ren'Py - My Dorm [v0.20.1 S2 Ch.8] [Trope95]

1. 2.00 star(s)

ed anger

The writing in this game... make me want to punch myself in the head. Mediocre verging on moronic. Decent renders of a bunch of different types of women. Bad actual animations, they're stilted and jerky. If you don't care about the writing then enjoy the harem collecting, I guess, I couldn't keep playing.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

uberbomb

Great rendors and harem game. Who needs to reads too in depth into a f95 game plot. So much content and great slow burn that ramps up fast. Keep pumping out content and will be following. All characters are well written bimbos, so its great. Clones are interesting too and the clothes and outfits ar etoo.
  3. 3.00 star(s)

SteelyDan14

Well... I have to give it the developer for giving us a crap ton of content. Doing all of this is a lot of hard work and we should, at the very least, thank them for their efforts.

Unfortunately, despite all the love and hard work they have put into this, I can't really give this better than an average rating. I will admit I may be influenced a bit by the harem approach as I am not really a fan of it in these games, but I think I am being pretty fair in my review.

To begin with, it's way too easy. I mean, there is no effort necessary for the MC to land a LI. Sure, there is some implied resistance when the "sister" who is not really his sister struggles with the idea of having the hots for her "brother" who she doesn't know is not really her brother. This is the only barrier preventing these LI from being with the MC. They all admit they want him, but they struggle with the morality of it. Okay... fine... but my point is, they already all like the MC so there is no work the MC has to do to win them. They all just line up and wait for the chance.

Of course, the "sister", "cousins" and childhood friend are all virgins... bleh... whatever. The whole "kissing lessons" scene was just silly. I mean, the MC was actually giving them pointers on how to kiss... erm... okay... like that even happens and yet it turned out to be "the best day ever" for Scarlet. Right.

And while the MC is not a complete Gary Stu, he does say all the right things to all the women. After awhile, it just gets tiring as an MC to always say and do the right things. He is always sweet and caring and in love with all the girls. It just gets old to never wonder what is going to happen and to never worry about how a LI is going to react.

I don't know, it's just a combinations of it's too sweet, all the LIs just fall in line whenever he walks into visual range. For me, the game alternates between boring and silly.

There are some good things about it. The humor is okay and I liked the way the MC deals with his feelings about everything with the little dream sequences, but that's about it. All the women are attractive and each are unique and there does seem to be some kind of underlying mystery going on regarding his father, but I am sure it will be "Oh no... MC! Please save us. We know you always take charge and always protect us as we are just helpless LIs who are so enamored with you we act like a bunch of pre-teens. How did we ever function without you!!!" Or something like that.

Again, the dev is talented and I really appreciate all of the hard work it has taken to get to this point. It is too late to go back and change anything so we will have to see where it goes.

Good luck to the developer!

UPDATE: I have learned all LIs are avoidable, but the routes for some of them are not obvious and are choice based, so I removed that comment from my review. It still does not change my overall rating.
  4. 2.00 star(s)

labul7

Test version 0.12

I tried to give this story a go, but I had to stop... the MC is really not to my taste... The scene where Emma wants her first time, fulfilling her fantasy with her maid costume, the MC's reaction at this moment is just stupid... Not to mention that just before, after giving Erika oral, she falls asleep, and our hero kindly covers her with a towel before leaving ... Except it happens in a fucking sauna!
    Nonsense all the time.
    Plus the protagonist's face is just not to my taste. Moreover, stop the attacks against French people... A hairdresser would never do such a horror...
    The lewds scenes are meh, unnatural animations.

On the good side we have the hotties, some of them are quite pretty.

But that's not enough, and sorry, I really would have liked to get to the 2nd part, but it's beyond my best efforts.

(By google translate)
  5. 5.00 star(s)

Brannon

The english is good if not even great.
    The girls are top notch and dare I say it diverse. You see girls with extraordinary features but no copy & paste cutouts.

The story is believable. Not realistic, but it can be believed since it is an alternate reality.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

lordnova

My Dorm is an incredible avn.
    Lots of content, a great story, and some of the hottest LI's I've seen.

This is an AVN I'm happy to back, and look forward to getting on steam if/when Trop releases it there.

One of the best parts is, everything is entirely optional. Don't like a certain LI? You dont have to start anything with her. Not into getting them pregnant? You don't have to. Lactation not your thing? Turn it off. Same goes for anal, plug play, etc.

There is also a realistic variety of body shapes and sizes, and breast sizes. Sure, there are some with lovely large breasts, but other than one character who is very well endowed, no one really has beach balls. I'd say most are c-d cup, and a few smaller than that. Shorter girls, tall girls, fit girls, girls who will demolish a cake with you.

This truly is *your* dorm. You decide which girls you want in your harem. You decide if they get pregnant, or if anyone gets pregnant at all.
    There is a lot of content already, and a lot more to come.

Oh, and Trop releases quality updates quickly and regularly. Most AVN's, I need to do a full playthrough each time an update comes out because it's been so long I don't remember what has happened or who is who.
    My Dorm, I just play the new content, then every 2-3 updates, I do a fresh playthrough because it's just that good.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

acidrain82

Loved it.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

KnightOwlSC

Story: Enjoyable and brings something different to the table. Proper English and good grammar makes it a nice read. Lots of content means you'll be enjoying this one for a bit.

Renders: Great Quality. The models are all well done and attractive (excluding the two GILFs).

HScenes: Well done and a good amount of them.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

dd1776

At first i didnt like it very much but damn did it grow on me fast. Well done dev cant wait for the next update. The story was interesting and kept you on your feet, the character models are gorgeous, and the animations are pretty good. They need a lil work in my opinion but that could just be me
  10. 4.00 star(s)

Macky009

I just started playing the game not so long ago i'm not wve finish playing part 1 yet but so far the game is quite good. There arebdiverse of female lead character that most are remarkable but some are forgetable. The story so far is quite good but the dialogue are too long which take most of the game. Truth be told I don't mind having long dialogue in a game because it can give depth in the story. But here well it's like they make the dialogue long just for the sake of having a dialogue. Some of the dialogue can be summarized without taking the essence in the story. Another one is at the beginning of the story is about cloning Daphne, Erika and Emma are bunch of clones, what with that. Guys you don't need to make it in to some sci-fi to make a good game. Overall the game is good the character design is good some are ok but the story telling is kinda mediocre. Still I recommend this game to those who loves harem game.

4/5 stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
  11. 2.00 star(s)

Beduin123

This game has started quite strong: Beautiful models, proper tags (incest+harem are always winning combination), standard but still quite strong story, good English. Well...it lost me half way.

With the whole lot of hot girls already available to the MC it become obvious when the first bunch of students arrived that they are too many. Also they were made "different" for the sake of diversity: a fat and short girl, a very tall girl without tits, a girl with vitiligo, a bitchy girl. It is well over 20 girls in the game now and clearly the MC the Dev has difficult time to balance the relationships with them.

Also the Dev have imagined themselves to be a Leo Tolstoy and gone to lengthy descriptions and dialogues. As a result, starting from the last quarter of the Part 1 the game is a lot of dialogues and very little sex. These dialogues are also very similar to one another, basically about persuading a next girl to join the harem and tolerate the others in it. First time it may be fun, the tenth time it's irritating as hell. What is the purpose of that? To make the harem believable? Well, it still isn't.

As the result, the game lost its pacing and become tedious and repetitive. It takes ages to get to a scene with this or that favorite girl between the walls of text and visits to secondary characters. Successful attempt to kill a good game. Bravo.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

TonyMurray

My Dorm is a delightful, wholesome-feeling harem game. That sentence does not sound like it goes together at all, but I think it fits the game perfectly. It’s a game that doesn’t take itself too seriously. It’s fun, it’s sexy, it’s jam-packed with a diverse cast of lovely ladies and you can literally pick and choose which of them you want to join your harem. Some are “easy” to add, some more slow-burn, but every single one of them is the player’s choice.

Usually, a game with this many LIs would mean a whole bunch of saves for all the different paths, but here there’s no picking one girl at the expense of another – it’s an individual “yes or no” to each of them. Unlike most other games of this type, you never have to miss a scene with your second favourite girl because you’re with your favourite one, so there is no need for those additional saves.

I really like how this game progresses, and how you don’t have to think too hard to play it – it’s refreshingly straightforward. There are plenty of funny moments, and plenty of sexy moments. On the one hand, it can be a shame to have such a large group of LIs because, inevitably, you might find a bit of a wait before you get back to a favourite, but on the plus side, there are plenty of favourites available, so there’s never a dull moment!
  13. 3.00 star(s)

Fantabulous

This is an harem game that unfortunately lost me since the very beginning with all those thoughts from the MC that were taking forever. From that point I skipped most of the story. The bland renders I kept seeing in part 1 and the fact that I'm mostly a MILF lover also helped, as teens comprise 80% of the LIs and to make it worse most of them look quite generic and unappealing to me anyway.

I like the kinks. The scenes with mom, grandma and the other MILFs are obviously my favourites, I hope grandma eventually gets to have the "full treatment" as the other LIs, she looks like a teen except for her face anyway... Animations range from average to excellent. The effect with the camera automatically switching angles while having sex is interesting and more than welcome, but it could have been used better.

On the negative side, first and foremost I'd have to say there's far too many girls. Personal thought here but in a way I think adult harem games are becoming as old hat as those open world games we all know -- you can play a few but eventually the concept becomes boring, especially when the girls are so easy to get and you can have dozens of them. Way to kill inmersion.

Then there's the fact that some "girls" look quite younger than they should, making the whole thing feel like a bad joke. (Oh, and the threesome with mom and Emma left me cold, only the "cleaning" part at the end felt hot for me. The main part looked quite disjointed and generic.)
  14. 5.00 star(s)

Nadira

This is one of the best harem games I've ever played.
    Good story, likeable characters and tons of sex.

If you like harem, incest, romance and breeding the fam then this is for you.

Highly recommended.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

DickJensen

One of the best avn I have ever played. Dev is consistent with his works and updates at the same time he is not milking his supporters by giving us good meat in the game.
    Renders are top notch
    Models are pretty and realistic
    Story line is good.
    And the best part is the sex scenes are not boring and are more passionate than most of the avn which gives it a realistic approach to the game. Thanks you dev for your time and efforts. Good luck
  16. 2.00 star(s)

Scriboergosum

I really wanted to like this game because it has a bunch of interesting aspects and fun kinks, but a combination of tedious tropes and frustratingly clumsy writing made the game too much of a chore.

It's a quite straightforward game. There are some choices, but they mostly consist of "Do you want to see this content? Yes - No". This is not a bad thing in itself, but a game like that has to rely on good writing instead of variation and mechanics and the writing isn't this game's strong suit at all.
    The visuals are a bit dated, but decent enough.

The characters you meet are mostly interesting, but the game relies heavily on the virgin trope, so every single woman is either a young and shy virgin or a more mature, but terribly insecure woman, who hasn't had sex for more than a decade. Any personality the characters have is quickly replaced with either insane lust for the MC or conflicted feelings of guilt and shame, sometimes switching from one to the other in the same scene. Consistency is nonexistent. In addition, the writing isn't great when it comes to distinguishing the different personalities. All the characters feel like the same person talking, i.e. same style, same vocabulary, same humour, same verbose way of speaking etc.
    As the game progresses more and more characters are added and while some later characters have a bit more personality, that bonus is almost entirely countered by how crowded the game becomes and how little time is spent on each individual character.

The MC is another trope for harem games: Bland, unfunny, very little charm to him and yet every single woman falls madly in love with him in a matter of minutes. At 21 years of age he's able to impress all the ladies, young and old, with his wisdom (mostly painful cliches along the lines of "you should just be yourself") whenever they tell him about a problem they're having. He's basically the lewd version of a superhero that has ALL super powers, ever, and no weaknesses! Impressive, but mind-numbingly boring.

The writing is the real issue, though. It's almost entirely stiff, formal and much too wordy. Characters will describe at length what just happened in the last scene or what is happening right now, they'll narrate their own feelings and thoughts in a very stilted and artificial way. This includes the sex scenes and gives us quotes like this:
    "And the vibrations you produce when you hit the forbidden zone... they're increasing the pleasure... to levels that... I've never felt before..."
    To my mind that is neither believable nor sexy. No one talks like that, especially when getting fucked, much less when getting fucked well.
    To my mind the dev really needs to consider the "show, don't tell" approach, i.e. show us what the characters are feeling, don't have them tell us. Nothing is ever left ambiguous or unsaid, instead you'll get a dozen lines of dialogue about even the most minor thought.

The plot is another weird thing. The whole dorm situation, moving back to the home town and reconnecting etc. is a completely self-contained and sufficient story, but for some reason the dev decided that the game needed secret agents, guns and goddamn clones! This is all introduced mostly straight-faced, the game takes itself quite seriously here and there are long, dull and meandering scenes filled with absurd and uninteresting dialogue to explain this insane plot, when it does nothing for the game and just isn't an interesting story on its own. It feels entirely tacked on for no good reason and I honestly don't feel the quality of the writing is good enough to remotely justify how much time is spent on this. Writing a fun lewd game is one thing, writing an interesting sci-fi thriller requires much greater quality and this ain't it.

Sex scenes are quite hot and decently kinky, but as mentioned the clumsy dialogue haunts the lewd scenes too. They're also quickly very spread out.
    A lot of characters are introduced and, while the variety in body types and ages is great compared to other games, the sheer amount of characters and the tendency for one droning conversational scene to be followed by 3 or 4 more, means that not only are sex scenes in general quite rare, but scenes with any specific girl in the game are extremely spaced out. The fact that some characters are literal clones of others only makes this worse. Instead of developing the story and relationship between the MC and girl X, you get to see the MC "charm" X's clone instead...

So yeah, this review ended up being as long-winded as most of the game's dialogue, sorry about that. The tl,dr is that there's a great game in here, but it's tripped up by a boring MC, a bloated and bland cast of characters, horribly verbose dialogue and an unnessary and convoluted plot that takes itself much too seriously.
  17. 3.00 star(s)

kameohawk

The game's overall good but it feels a bit clunky. I'm still incredibly early into the game so perhaps it's teething problems that will resolve but so far it's ok without being spectacular.

The premise for the game is ok but at the same time it seems a bit implausible. " The main character will have to help turn the family home into a college dorm " but at the same time it seems like a secondary point, almost like a hassle. It's there because a reason is needed but with so much focus on characters who aren't impacted by the idea of needing a dorm, it feels redundant.

As I mention it also feels a bit clunky at times. It's not a game cause everyone wants the MC's dick. It's a wish fulfilment simulator. Each and everyone wants to go for a ride and that's fine and all but there's no real explanation to why. It's like everyone knows you're the MC and that's just how these things work. And at times it feels even the Dev can't be bothered establishing the why. I think the first.....4? girls you speak to end up seeing you in the shower and it's like "OMGZ look at the size of that" and that's it. Like the Dev put his hand in, picked out the old "caught in the shower" trope and went "good enough, copy and paste".

Possibly being harsh, it's interesting, it's worth playing, it just feels a bit... raw. Like it needs some polish in terms of plot and dialogue. The fact it seems most of the girls are virgins just means you're not even getting any variety in terms of relationship. They're all super shy, meek etc. There's a few assertive women in there and to be honest the interactions with them are so much more engaging.
  18. 3.00 star(s)

gpsywolf

So, after playing through v.12 I have gotten an overall feeling for this game.

First of all, the original girls and the animations are hot and i have no complaints about that. Where the game drags down for me is in the dialogue. It is repetitive and boring. There are quite a few girls in this game and the recurring theme is that the MC has to lay down the "harem rules" every single time with each and every one. So much of this game is the MC trying to wrangle all his relationships into a working, logical functioning harem, and it shouldnt really work but of course it does because plot.

Later, a group of diversity girls are introduced and you are put into a "relationship points" system with them, which is rather confusing because now you have to wonder if you're going to have enough points with the ones you like or what the consequences are for having negative points with the ones you dont like.

One other point i would like to make is that the writing has no breaks for the mc. What i mean by that, is that he moves from girl scene to girl scene without ever really doing anything that a normal guy would do. He is supposed to be the CFO of this family business and yet he does no actual work that i can tell, aside from one scene in which he tears down a wall. Even in that scene we have all the women watching and commenting like lovestruck teenagers. All the girls have the same questions about the situation they are in, and he always gives the same answers, and the dialogue moves so slowly its sometimes painful. As of v12 the "harem" is only partially public, and with every passing scene one wishes they would just out the whole thing all at once so we could just get it over with and move on already.

Pregnancy options are nice if you are into that, and later a couple of GILFS show up, if thats your thing.
  19. 3.00 star(s)

Noid42

Version: [v0.18.2 P2]
    A promising VA that unfortunately falls for a common pitfall - way too many LI's.

There's a lot to like here, the renders are nice, the scenes are hot, and there are a bunch of really heartwarming moments.
    The story is... well, its there, and it starts out interesting enough, and overall I was pretty excited to see what is coming for 'My Dorm'.

Unfortunately, the amount of LI's got so unnecessarily, annoyingly high 'My Dorm' became, for me at least, impossible to enjoy.
    It made the story drag on, the beautiful moments to feel much less special as they just kept repeating with different girls that got less and less screen time, it just became a wordy, confusing wholesome moments and sex scenes manufacturing machine working at 110% capacity.
    I'll also be honest and say that after adding the 10th or 11th LI things got very confusing for me, coming back to play the new updates left me wondering who's who and what was their story. I decided to drop it.

I like the developer, I really liked most of the first part, and I firmly believe this could have been a very strong 4* VN if the amount of LI's was cut in half.
    I do recommend giving it a shot, because as I said - there's plenty to like and the first part is very good, it's just not for me anymore.
  20. 5.00 star(s)

Jaga Telesin

I don't normally give out 5-star ratings, but My Dorm definitely deserves one. I've played only a few AVNs that were better.

+ Excellent models, scenes, renders, and lighting
    + Different body types and great personalities matching them
    + Loads of content, and while the story isn't too deep, it's very engaging and well-written
    + Lots of sex scenes, though with this many possible partners each one's time diminishes accordingly
    + Built-in guide, clearly showing results, and pregnancy options clearly
    + Interactions between characters is frequent and believable
    + Most regular renders have animated blinking, or waving hands, or other expressions. Brings life to the models and story.
    + Great implementation of the harem and "incest" (no spoilers here for the surprises)
    + A likable and honest/up-front MC (despite having a large member) makes it easy to play him

- Sex scene animations/length could be smoother, better, and longer
    - Few kinks overall (I think anal only happened once through 0.17.0). Most sex is vaginal/oral for the entire game. Absolutely NEEDS more kinks, to expand the experience.

The two minuses above didn't detract enough from the overall experience to merit taking anything away from the 5-star rating. It'd end up a 4.7 or 4.8 either way.