My first render attempts using lighting. I need your comments (:

Derezz

Game Developer
Feb 24, 2019
Hi, im pretty new to daz and these are my first renders using lighting. Please write your thoughts( positive / negative ) so i can be better.

georgiaFHD2.png

Georgia 3.png

PervyHeadDD

Aug 16, 2019
Lighting is good and very appealing but if you will use some mood lighting like color it will make her feel more sexy

Reactions: Derezz

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
First render - not bad. Second and third, your spotlights are too tight, or too close, causing drastic differences in how different parts of the figure are lit. Possibly back the lights out a ways and increase their intensity, or else increase their spread angle.

You might also benefit from a bit of rim lighting. Have you Googled "three point lighting?" The "back light" in 3-point can make a very interesting and subtle improvement. Even if you don't go with that, having lights from both sides of the camera produces what, at least to me, is more pleasing than a single spotlight.

Also, your shadows are pretty sharp. Look at the shadow line across the belly in the third render, for example. Are you spotlights set to "point" or "rectangle?" Using a rectangular light of reasonable size (30x30cm or 50x50cm) can produce somewhat smoother shadows and a bit more realistic look. No "real" light is a point - there's always some area involved. Basically, avoid "point" spotlights.

rev2020

Oct 16, 2019
since the majority seems scared of using lighting ;) this looks better than 90% of the renderers i see here also better than most games.
without lighting or just dull dome light characters looks flat
your character has depth and contrast
i guess you have an eye for how good lighting looks.

great work.
to soften the lights and shadows increase the size of the light.
you can also try to scale the lights Y to get more light to the lower body (Renderer 3)

you can also add emissive planes and make them ghost lights to fill parts that needs to have some extra light.
only problem with ghost lights is that they are bad for rendering highlights and reflections on the skin.
but you can place them anywhere without being seen.

to turn an emissive plane into ghost light set cutout opacity to 0.0001 in the surface tab

Last edited:

Derezz

Game Developer
Feb 24, 2019
Thanks for your advice to everyone! These will help me improve my renders :)

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
the light is too intense and fades out too fast with no "light source" in the image, say if it was a full scene if some one is shining a flash light in her face for image 3 sure, but for a natural scene or standing around in any room or out doors no.

scene 2 there is too many intense light sources. do a search on 3 point lighting tutorials also making objects emit light, then after beating yourn head ona wall for days and hours like I did, try some hdri. then try to recreate the light effect of teh HDRI with your own lights. it takes a fuck ton of trial and error but 99%^ of the time HDRI are way easier than self lighting a scene unless you have a particular effect you are shooting for.

for example

WBWB

Jul 8, 2017
A long time ago I posted a basic overview of 3 point lighting in the Big Brother fan art thread here.