My god you guys need a thesaurus

joryh

Nov 8, 2021
I am getting so sick of "whilst". FFS, get a thesaurus and discover the world of while, or meanwhile, or any other friggin simile. Especially when it appears half a dozen times in a paragraph or two. My god, it's bloody pretentious already. And tiresomely repetitive.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
I am getting so sick of "whilst". FFS, get a thesaurus and discover the world of while, or meanwhile, or any other friggin simile. Especially when it appears half a dozen times in a paragraph or two. My god, it's bloody pretentious already. And tiresomely repetitive.
The word "whilst" has been used in 8,900 messages on this forum during the entire lifespan of this site --- or a little over 3 times per day, on average. That's about 1 post out of very 1,500 which includes the word.

By way of comparison, the word "while" can be seen in more than 11,000 posts just this past month. In that same time, "whilst" is found in about 150 comments.

When considering the expected occurrence for each word to be about 23 uses of "while" for every one "whilst," - here on F95, at least in the preceding month, users have uttered "whilst" once for every 73 mentions of "while."

As such, whilst you may have some kind of personal issue with the word, it is far less used (about a third as much) on F95 than one would expect to see in the wild.

EDIT: I should also add, those who lean toward the version of English found in the United States will tend to use "while" whilst those who favor the King's English (and those who may learn English as their second language outside of the United States) are more apt to use "whilst." The world does not revolve around United Statesians, no matter what its citizens may think.

Last edited:

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
EDIT: I should also add, those who lean toward the version of English found in the United States will tend to use "while" whilst those who favor the King's English (and those who may learn English as their second language outside of the United States) are more apt to use "whilst." The world does not revolve around United Statesians, no matter what its citizens may think.
As I fit into this category, I don't really use "whilst".
And to add to what our local count already pointed out:

Icarus Media

F95 Comedian
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2019
Brit here, 'Whilst' is perfectly correct if using English (Traditional), whereas 'While' is apt for those that speak English (Simplified).

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
I'm going to prepare, finished, carry on:
View attachment 3747517
You two are so selfish. Eating all that popcorn whilst I sit here without a buttery, salty kernel.
Awwwwww shit. This wasn't an off-topic thread, was it? While it should have been from the start, I had no control over where it was posted. Meanwhile, here we are. What does my future hold, oh luminescent one?