My journey learning 3D modeling

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
So yeah i know My lightning is terrible, I used way too little samples on the render and the hair as you can see the has some parts dont properly fit together, since i want to wait to polish the finer details till after im happy with the final hair model. But overall what does everyone think of this hair? she is supposed to be a harem member of a game I'm planning.
mildred_1st_test.gif

Reactions: mickydoo

error229

Jan 30, 2018
Looks good! In my (very) limited experience, hair is tough to do well. You did some good work.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
spending a day to sit down and focus on hair (to learn) is on my todo list.
Looks pretty good, assuming you were trying to make stylistic hair.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Really good for someone who learned themselves in 4 days, Ive been using 3ds max and blender for years and never had the patients to learn make hair.

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
Thanks for your nice comments!! I guess its back to the workbench to start refining those details

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
So yeah i know My lightning is terrible, I used way too little samples on the render and the hair as you can see the has some parts dont properly fit together, since i want to wait to polish the finer details till after im happy with the final hair model. But overall what does everyone think of this hair? she is supposed to be a harem member of a game I'm planning.
View attachment 186658
That type of ribbon hair isn't my cup of tea but I think you did a fantastic job. Learning to do hair is one of my nightmares

And please continue I swear finding hair is one of the biggest pains out there. I'm cheap but I'd fork out for some megapacks of non fantasy based hair/clothing

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Here are a few tutorials on making stylized hair in Blender with bezier curves:

If you want to go the texture card route, here's a pretty good tutorial on that:

I never really cared for working with Blender's particle hair, so I never put any time into finding good tutorials about that, so got nothing for that. But that is another option, particularly if you are just looking to produce renders instead of something to use in real-time. It can potentially offer the most realistic results if you got the hardware and patience for it.

Oh, also, Blender 2.8 reached it's first beta release yesterday. You should consider giving it a look, could be interesting to see how this looks in Eevee.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bip

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
New update:
Had to simplify the hair a lot cause it was like 600k tris and was pretty much unusable. also made her thiccer.
mildred_2nd_test.gif

here's a closeup in case anyone was wondering:
mildred_headshot.png
Also: daaamn blender 2.8 is soo good.

Reactions: uradamus

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Heh, ya, I've really enjoyed most of the changes I've seen with 2.8, there are only a couple of nagging little issues I have with it, mostly them hiding way too much away in drop downs just so they can do away with the old tool panel which I really miss having. Can't wait for this weekend when I can finally give it a proper go! I'm waiting for some new hardware to arrive on sat. that should finally cure my system of it's constant rebooting issues any time I try to do any serious work with it. :mad:

As to your model, I'm not a big fan of over-exaggerated curves. But at least you are going for a more stylized/cartoony look, which makes it a lot more tolerable. I'd be a bit interested to see how it looks in the LookDev viewport mode (the one just to the left of the rendered option you have it on there). It's basically a simplified version of Eevee that ignores light sources in your scene and just uses one of the included HDRI maps to give you a quick preview of what your materials would look like in a naturally lit environment. It's the best mode to use when messing around with material settings and for showing off WIP previews. The rendered mode expects you to set up your own HDRI and/or lighting, which is why things are a bit on the dim and flat side in those pics you posted. Anyhow, keep at it, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Oh, also, another Blender hair tutorial started showing up in my recommendations the past few days. Though I haven't had a chance to check it out myself yet, the thumbnail looks promising:

There was also this one, that I also haven't checked out yet, but it just showed up while searching for the one above. Looks like it is a two parter and probably covers particle hair by the looks of it:

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
lol I had seen all those tutorials :p as for the 2 new ones the first one is the one I use, the second is too realistic for my taste, but i love nazar models, check his braid tutoril is awesome.
Here's lookdev:
mildred_lookdev.png