VN - Ren'Py - Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

1. 4.00 star(s)

ThorsHamster

(Review is as of Chapter 3. Disclosure: Thor's Hamster is a beta tester for Mythos.)

Mythos is a murder mystery adventure with a healthy dose of ancient lore and the supernatural tossed in to present a fresh, fun and sometimes hilarious take on the genre. When you accidentally find out that your ex-girlfriend — with whom you haven't spoken in over a year — just died, something doesn't feel right. As you start to pick at the circumstances surrounding her death, you discover things about her — and yourself — that challenge everything you thought you knew about the world. What really happened to your ex-girlfriend? And who among your expanding circle of friends and acquaintances can you really trust?

STORY AND CHARACTERS ★★★★☆ (4/5)

Mythos bills itself as a murder mystery, but there's a lot of unconventional elements here that make the story stand out. Elements of lore — drawn from such influences as Judaism, Greek mythology, and ancient Egypt — are re-imagined to weave a much larger fictional world than the premise would initially suggest. The murder is really just the tip of a very large iceberg, and the fun of the game is discovering just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

The first feature that distinguishes Mythos from most of its peers is that the player can select the gender for the main character. Both a female and male version of the MC are offered; the female version is considered "canon", but both versions are handled very well — particularly in the sexual encounters, where the difference will obviously be the most pronounced. Separate versions of each encounter have been designed for both genders, with the same level of care afforded to each version. Consequently, the game has something to offer for players who prefer to play a female MC as well as those who prefer a male MC.

(Note: regardless of which gender you choose for your MC, the cast of available love interests are all female. In other words, you will play as either a straight male MC or a lesbian female MC.)

The cast of characters is varied and quite interesting. You start the story with several existing friends, and as you begin your investigation, your list of acquaintances steadily grows. Each core character has unique personality quirks that makes them fun to interact with, and they are all memorable. The extended cast of characters includes a number of visual novel crossover cameos and some additional characters that show promise of becoming more central to the plot later on. Some of these are at times a bit more forgettable, but often only because their place in the story is not yet obvious.

The story pacing seems to be spot on, though with only three chapters out so far, it's difficult to say for certain. So far, clues and reveals have been doled out at a healthy rate — not too quickly, but just often enough to keep things interesting and keep the story moving forward.

The world-building behind Mythos is showcased in the supplemental stories that have been written about the characters and their backstory. Dubbed "Tales from Mythos", the stories were originally offered as standalone reading but are now available to read directly within the game. These are text stories only — no visuals — but they offer exciting peeks into the broader Mythos world and some of the elements that seem to be converging on the present-day story.

GRAPHICS AND ANIMATION ★★★★☆ (4/5)

Mythos visuals are Daz Studio renders, and they look wonderful. The 3D scenes are all interesting to look at; and although the lighting is, at times, a bit one-dimensional, the shots never look flat or difficult to parse. The character design is superb, and the facial expressions are lively but not overdone. Mythos incorporates a lot of fun visual effects to liven up the presentation, including original animated scene transitions, dramatic and often humorous character introduction sequences, cartoon-style visual depictions of key sound effects, and other dynamic moments to really bring the story to life.

Animations were employed in Chapters 1 and 2; these were simple but all well done. Chapter 3 did not include animations, and this trend may continue for future Mythos chapters. If you are dead set on having animated sexual encounters, this might come as a disappointment. Nonetheless, the detailed narrative and the quality of the still shots combine to make the sex suitably titillating, even if not a perfect replacement for a fully animated experience.

SOUND AND MUSIC ★★★★☆ (4/5)

Mythos boasts an almost completely original soundtrack composed by the author. An original soundtrack is something of a rarity in the visual novel space, and an author-composed soundtrack more so. The music is well done and never takes itself too seriously, which is an appropriate reflection of the overall tone of the game itself. Each character and location has a unique musical theme, which adds an additional layer of personality to both people and places.

Sound effects are used throughout, and critical sound effects are accompanied by visual cues (often animated and stylized). The sound effects are good quality and are leveraged appropriately.

GAMEPLAY AND EXPERIENCE ★★★★☆ (4/5)

Mythos is powered by the Ren'py visual novel engine, and the core of the gameplay is the standard choice-based visual novel experience. However, Mythos adds a number of creative elements to breath more life into the user experience. A "heist" encounter empowers the player to customize who will handle what job during the operation, resulting in a plethora of different ways that the heist might play out. An in-game achievements system rewards the player with custom artwork for different characters (generally nude) in response to unusual circumstances in how they play the game. Easter eggs in various places provide humorous reactions to player interactions. As the investigation gets under way in full force, the player can click on bits of conversations that seem particularly noteworthy, often being rewarded with additional clues to ponder. And the aforementioned "Tales from Mythos", consisting of additional stories that are unlocked at key points throughout the main story, offer players the opportunity to delve into the world of Mythos more deeply.

While all of these features exist with the aim to make the experience more varied and entertaining, some of them work better than others. Many of the achievements are based on such specific and niche conditions that they might never be achieved without prior knowledge of what those conditions are. (Until they are unlocked, they offer no clues as to what they might be.) The Easter eggs are similarly oblique, with nothing resembling clear hints to the player that a particular scene might have a hidden gem. Finally, dialogue that hides additional clues has no distinguishing characteristics, so players may not even be aware that an additional clue is available.

The difficult-to-find extras are purely optional, but completionists may nevertheless find their presence vexing. These days, the standard formula for extras like these is to provide adequate hints to players who specifically want to pursue the extras, while still ensuring that they are sufficiently challenged in their pursuit. This is fairly difficult to do in the visual novel format, in which the gamut of interactions that a player can have with the game is limited.

The dialogue of Mythos is funny and witty, with some really hilarious moments and a few instances of brilliant fourth wall breaking. The author has a wonderful sense of humor that really shines in the storytelling and keeps things from ever getting too somber or heavy.

OVERALL ★★★★☆ (4/5)

Mythos has a solid story with a lot of interesting lore behind it, and the story is told in a fun and engaging way. The pacing is on point, and the cast of characters is diverse and distinct. The visuals are well done and include some animation elements that go beyond the basic visual novel experience, and the original musical soundtrack complements the storytelling beautifully. While not the focus of the story, there are a number of sexual encounters to keep things spicy. The "Tales from Mythos" stories expand the world-building and make the main story even more interesting. Mythos is definitely worth a play!
  2. 5.00 star(s)

XanderSeegson

Nine of Swords is a fantastic dev. Mythos has a strong and unique story, interesting characters and nicely done rendering. I am very much looking forward to this next installment. Mythos hooked me early on and has kept my attention. Can't wait to see what happens next.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

NoMansMind

this is just a beautiful game!
    and I use the term "beautiful" mainly for the whole package: lots of charm (for example, the individual indroductions for every charakter; the lore), witty writting (the RIGHT amount of funny remarks and situations - what was the name of the waitress again?;)), lots of individuality for the characters - and their own speech-pattern (! that typicall kind of extra-work you will find here on every corner)

and, last but not least, the absence of the "stare at her *insert body part here*" routine, the lack of "spy at her in shower" or "nude accident" standards (which makes it very well possible, that a woman wrote this)

its just pure fun playing and reading this, without the usuall facepalm reflex (y)
    if you are not alergic to fantasy elements, you owe it to yourself to play this game!
  4. 5.00 star(s)

Éama

If you are looking for a VN with a female protagonist and lesbian content, look no further. Mythos is one of the best VNs on this topic. The dialogue is well written, the characters diverse and deep. The plot has secrets that only slowly unravel. The renders are good, the character designs not off the shelf. Mythos is just a really well done fantasy VN, with and without the sex.

My only problem is that the updates take a while and I'm not known for my patience.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

lastcraft

The humor is the selling point of this game, I laughed out loud several times while playing through its content

Characters are great too, diverse in both physical appearance and personality, that's always welcome.

Highly recommended
  6. 5.00 star(s)

iamnotaspy

It's hard to be short and concise with a review of Mythos: Book One, but here goes:

Humor as a selling point: The game is hilarious. The dialog is well-written, either by a native English speaker, or involving someone with an excellent grasp of English (worth mentioning as many games in these genres are sub-par from a language perspective).

Presentation as a selling point: From the transitions, to the introduction of characters, this game has so many things going for it. The renders are solid, the animations do the job and are smooth. There is humor in the presentation itself, beyond the dialog. The addition of the lore book is great for remembering, and very welcome in that it doesn't restate, but rather rewrites with alternative descriptions, what you may have discovered about a character.

Narration and Storytelling as a selling point: A good mystery is presented early on, and the developers do a great job of dropping enticing cookie crumbs as you progress at an inviting pace, keeping me interested in the story itself, certainly in addition to, and either in lieu of lewd scenes, or simply bridging them. As other reviewers have stated, this is a good story that has lewd scenes. Not every AVN pulls that off, but Mythos has so far, for me.

Perhaps the best single thing I can say about Mythos: Book One, is that I have chuckled, or snorted, out loud more than once from legitimate, intended humor. That alone is enough to keep me clicking.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

tobias_knight

Reasons this got 5 stars from me.

• Story – This is very much a story that has lewd moments more than a lewd after lewd fap fest. I really like good stories that keep you interested in continuing to play. If this were just a fap fest AVN I would have probably skipped it after the first release. But it is an intriguing murder mystery wrapped in a supernatural setting
    • Choice of male or female MC – I know for a lot of people this is a drawback, I understand wanting to play as a male but as I have the great fortune to play these games with my wife this was a change of pace for us as a couple to play a game from a female protagonist perspective. We had only tried a couple of other female protagonist games and picked the wrongs ones to try as they seemed more like slut fest AVN. As of this review we have only played Mythos as a female protagonist.
    • Diversity of love interests – Mythos has a great diversity of love interests and though we don’t like picking favorites both the wife and I each have favorites. No, they are not the same lol
  8. 5.00 star(s)

striker.js

A game that doesn't take itself too seriously and is a lot of fun. Dev has a great sense of humour as seen in the playful and witty dialogue and player thoughts. I like the story so far, quite enjoyable.

I appreciated that the dev mixes in references from D&D (table top game). Model renders look good and animations are less jarring than many other games.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

Purple Lagoon

This game is just top quality.
    The writing, the humor, the presentation... wow, I can't believe I've only discovered this now [Ch2.0.4]. Already one of my favorites!

Some random thoughts to end this review:
    - Introduction of characters is superb (age: aquarius)
    - They might be giants?
    - While the sex scenes might not be the hottest (still pretty hot imho), they make up with excellent writing.
    I'm so tired of the juvenile "Give me your cock, fill me with your cum"
    This game handles the sexy times way better.
    - Also: murder mysteries, investigations, choosing paths...
    I'm in!
  10. 5.00 star(s)

faradhii

So this one sat on my "to play" list for quite a while and I'm glad I tried it!

The renders are stellar with a variety of body types, skin colors, and personalities.

The writing is excellent with enough subtle (and not so subtle) humor thrown in.

The pacing is nice, on my one (so far) playthrough I think I had 3 lewd scenes which was nice for a .2. There's enough mystery to keep you guessing and I already find myself trying to find clues in the background and in throwaway lines that will hint on the LI's role in the story. Dev will be doing away with the "stat" system, which I am happy for as the stats are not explained as far as relevance to the story.

My one complaint is the first LI's hair! OMG, the HAIR!! (Play the game and she has a really nice hairdo both mid game and end of .2)

Looking forward to more!
  11. 5.00 star(s)

Haapy

You can choose the MC's gender, which is as rare as it is awesome!
    Also, the writing is good and I love the dry humor. The characters are likable and interesting (and hot).
    I love it and I'm looking forward to more.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

thanks for the demos

Imagine if Pratchett's and Gaiman's collab (a discworld novel set on earth, i.e. Good Omens) had also loosely been based on American Gods.

That should give you a pretty good idea about the tone and feel this story is going for. And so far they are doing a darn fine job.

5/5 (as of ch 2.04)
  13. 5.00 star(s)

The1andonly

Well this game was funny as fuck.
    Do not play this game for the h-scenes or the renders in general. However it is quite obvious just how much energy and effort is put into this game at a glance.
    Great story, actually funny humour, batshit characters. What more could you ask for?
  14. 5.00 star(s)

RedRicker

Very promising so far! Good soundtrack, excellent worldbuilding, unique characters that are not one dimensional. Choices seem to matter so far. You can go celibate, pursue a romance, or go for harem with male or female protagonist. Sex scenes are rendered well (though not the best on the site), but not very long

This is one of my most watched games atm, so best of luck dev :)
  15. 5.00 star(s)

EarlTrjegul

What a delightful surprise this game is!
    I'm not that good at writing long and exhaustive review so i will make a quick take on all the point:
    Renders: Good, seen better, but we're on the high medium level and more than enough to not like them
    Animation: Good enough, not a bunch and the one there is show promise.
    Story: That what really hook me in, sure there always people that throw random review in saying "i dont like the story" and you wonder what the F their taste are, but the story here is fun and witty, good ol detective story which remind me of old tv show in debut 2000, and i like that.
    NSFW: A bunch of scene here and there, could use more render on them coz they re short but at least there is some, which is not the case for some game on this forum even after much more content.

Overall, very fun game that i will follow, hope each chapter with be as good as the 2 i just played.
  16. 4.00 star(s)

L3z1l3

Nice visuals, hot girls, hot sex scenes.
    The story starts to shape up to be interesting. I love the urban fantasy genre.

There were some disturbing things however, so I can't give it 5 stars. If I rated it based on the first half of the first chapter I'd have given it 3 stars at max!
    The first 3 LI-s were introduced in such an annoying way. The lots of unnecessary narration describing them made the beginning of the game boring in my opinion. This narration might be intentional to go with the setting at the very start of the game in which the MC tells what happened to some agent at some undisclosed location but it's still annoying in the long run.
    MC's character was also lame and irritating early in the game.

After the story starts to gain momentum both of these become much better, or maybe I just cared less because I was hooked by the story. Anyhow, at the end of the second chapter I was thoroughly enjoying the game. So if you find the start boring try to keep up with it a bit any you might find he later parts much better.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

I_Only_Support_Real_Onez

this is for 2.0.2 5/5 The main character models are gorgeous especially Rain and Sophia. I havent seen them used in any other game before which is a big plus. The story is well written and filled with humor which is right up my alley. It is not confusing in the least bit and is a fun ride for the two chapters that are done so far. Keep it up dev.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

Wafflewaffuru

Werewolves: Don't exist, apparently. :KEK:

Where to begin. This update was SOOOOOO good.
    The graphics were top notch. Nine put so much effort into this update it was easy to see. The renders and animations were super over the top, especially with Sophia. Ho mama she was spicy. My FAVORITE renders though were the gala, god they were gorgeous. The best I've seen as a matter of fact.

The music is ALWAYS SOOOOOOOO GOOD holy fuck. It always fits the atmosphere and the transitions aren't jarring, which is a +++++ to me.

The story is so well wrote out also. Honestly this update was phenomenal and the writing was well toned too. There were comedic instances, wholesome instances, dramatic and tense moments as well. 9OS has weaved a beautiful story, and I look forward to more too as it comes.

If you haven't play this yet, please give it a chance, give the story a chance. If you love a good story, good lewd scenes that really tie into the story, and an actually competent main character, this is one of the best games I could recommend.

Eagerly looking forward to more! <3
  19. 5.00 star(s)

scooterb852

Review through Chapter 2

Been following Nine of Swords for a while now and with Chapter 2, they have really upped their game.

From a story perspective, you can tell the passion and effort that has gone into this one. The character dialog is great, the humor is excellent, and the meta content is the icing on the cake. Nine has put together a great modern, mystical "who dun it" with a very large cast of suspects. One of the biggest pitfalls of a harem game is of course getting enough time with everyone but Nine is doing a fantastic job on that front and I’m excited to see it continue.

Enjoyed the female\male protag option just to see Nine's additional renders which are very good. You don't often see the option given the huge impact it has on production effort and timeline, but very much appreciate all the extra effort and I think others will as well. The others characters and LIs are excellent not only characters-wise but also art-wise. Nine's skills continue to get better and better; loving the improvements in render quality from Nine's first DAZ work in Ch 1 to this Chapter.

Beyond the traditional elements (e.g., music, story, and art), Nine has added a lot of unique storytelling elements that just make this AVN that much better (e.g., transitions, achievements, hidden items that you can interact with, etc.). All of this gives Mythos its own unique style.

Highly recommend giving it a go!
  20. 5.00 star(s)

Frim der Wel

Truly excellent! Really great writing, interesting and likeable MC and LIs, and so far interesting story (of course it is easier to start a supernatural mystery story well than to end it well, but so far there seems to be hope). Renders and models are good, music very atmospheric.