Need Advice on choosing Tags for my Game

Mikethe3DGuy

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2019
Reading through comments here, it seems that tags are a contentious issue. I'm working on a VN that is now in coding. I've read through everything I could find on tags, including the official thread. Several are quite clear to me, and I won't bother asking about them. But a few I'm not sure whether to include. So, each of these are YEA or NAY questions, and arguments/comments about these issues are also more than welcome:

TAG

Animated - Is this just used when animations are simply present? This will have 4 animations in release 1, plus an animated intro video prior to game start, but everything else is static images. YEA or NAY?

Rape - In this story, women have all the power, and while there's no actual rape in the first release, there's an attempted one, and conditions are such that men have to worry about it happening. Clothes are ripped open, and the guy escapes, running away. I notice there's a closed thread with a mod saying that "Reverse Rape" (among other tags) WILL be added, and there will be no more discussion about it... but almost 3 years later there is no reverse rape tag. Much as I hate the phrase, this would be at least an attempted "reverse rape". YEA or NAY?

Sci-Fi - Story is set in 2030 and revolves around an epigenetic change to females. Sure it's in the future, but not too far, and takes place in Los Angeles, not like Venus or the Orion Nebula. Not a whole lot of super high-tech stuff happening, but the whole premise is based on a biological change that happens in the future. First release is focused on introducing the change and how it affects society. Future releases will have scenes that question more how and why it occurred. I've always thought of it as "Sci-Fi Lite". YEA or NAY?

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
You don't really get to choose, if it matches the tag description then the tag is valid.

The situation you descibed is non-consensual sex, therefore rape tag is required once that stuff is in the game.
Animated tag is also valid even if only a few cgs are animated.

The only tag that could be up for debate is sci-fi because it explicitly states "when scifi elements are heavily present", so it will depend on how heavy your game is going to tackle those elements, but by your short description they seem to be very light so probably the tag won't apply.

Reactions: Mikethe3DGuy

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
Reading through comments here, it seems that tags are a contentious issue. I'm working on a VN that is now in coding. I've read through everything I could find on tags, including the official thread. Several are quite clear to me, and I won't bother asking about them. But a few I'm not sure whether to include. So, each of these are YEA or NAY questions, and arguments/comments about these issues are also more than welcome:

TAG

Animated - Is this just used when animations are simply present? This will have 4 animations in release 1, plus an animated intro video prior to game start, but everything else is static images. YEA or NAY?

Rape - In this story, women have all the power, and while there's no actual rape in the first release, there's an attempted one, and conditions are such that men have to worry about it happening. Clothes are ripped open, and the guy escapes, running away. I notice there's a closed thread with a mod saying that "Reverse Rape" (among other tags) WILL be added, and there will be no more discussion about it... but almost 3 years later there is no reverse rape tag. Much as I hate the phrase, this would be at least an attempted "reverse rape". YEA or NAY?

Sci-Fi - Story is set in 2030 and revolves around an epigenetic change to females. Sure it's in the future, but not too far, and takes place in Los Angeles, not like Venus or the Orion Nebula. Not a whole lot of super high-tech stuff happening, but the whole premise is based on a biological change that happens in the future. First release is focused on introducing the change and how it affects society. Future releases will have scenes that question more how and why it occurred. I've always thought of it as "Sci-Fi Lite". YEA or NAY?

Animated - If your game has animations in it, go for it. It's a popular tag. You're not gonna get called out for having relatively few animations, and even if you do, who cares. You fit the requirements. Honestly, any game without the animated tag I usually assume to basically be a powerpoint. I'd advise anyone to add this tag unless they straight up don't have anything that could be considered an animation.

Rape - You said it yourself, there's no actual rape in the first release. You can add tags over time, so don't add this one until there is actual rape. Generally, if your game includes a thing, you can tag it with that. People who are looking only for that one specific thing might find that annoying, but unless you're making a game to cater to a super specific audience, this shouldn't matter to you.

Sci-Fi - Tough one honestly, because different people have different definitions of sci fi. Generally, I doubt there are many people specifically filtering out sci fi games when it comes to their search. At the same time, what is and is not sci fi isn't really something I expect to be heavily moderated. The tags people get hung up on aren't usually the theme ones. They get hung up on fetish tags usually. A lot of people like hot stuff, regardless of setting. If you think your game is a sci-fi, apply the tag. You'll be fine.

In general, don't worry so much about the tags. Unless your argument for why you should have a tag is absolutely laughable, you're probably fine. There will always be people the get hung up on tags, and at some point you'll have to deal with them. You will not be able to avoid this forever. For example, you may encounter people who think it's only rape if it happens in an alleyway or some shit. Don't worry about the tags. Just make the game you wanna make, and add the tags when you technically fit the requirements. Worst case scenario is your game gets reported for inaccurate tags, and a mod edits your tags. Worry about backlash after you've released your thing.

Good luck with your project.

Mikethe3DGuy

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2019
Animated - If your game has animations in it, go for it. It's a popular tag. You're not gonna get called out for having relatively few animations, and even if you do, who cares. You fit the requirements. Honestly, any game without the animated tag I usually assume to basically be a powerpoint. I'd advise anyone to add this tag unless they straight up don't have anything that could be considered an animation.

Rape - You said it yourself, there's no actual rape in the first release. You can add tags over time, so don't add this one until there is actual rape. Generally, if your game includes a thing, you can tag it with that. People who are looking only for that one specific thing might find that annoying, but unless you're making a game to cater to a super specific audience, this shouldn't matter to you.

Sci-Fi - Tough one honestly, because different people have different definitions of sci fi. Generally, I doubt there are many people specifically filtering out sci fi games when it comes to their search. At the same time, what is and is not sci fi isn't really something I expect to be heavily moderated. The tags people get hung up on aren't usually the theme ones. They get hung up on fetish tags usually. A lot of people like hot stuff, regardless of setting. If you think your game is a sci-fi, apply the tag. You'll be fine.

In general, don't worry so much about the tags. Unless your argument for why you should have a tag is absolutely laughable, you're probably fine. There will always be people the get hung up on tags, and at some point you'll have to deal with them. You will not be able to avoid this forever. For example, you may encounter people who think it's only rape if it happens in an alleyway or some shit. Don't worry about the tags. Just make the game you wanna make, and add the tags when you technically fit the requirements. Worst case scenario is your game gets reported for inaccurate tags, and a mod edits your tags. Worry about backlash after you've released your thing.

Good luck with your project.
Thanks so much for your detailed reply. Those answers fit my thoughts pretty well. I'd like to add the Sci-fi tag partially because the story is literally defined by fictional science even though there aren't a lot of traditionally "sci-fi" elements in it. Though there will be more as the story progresses. Plus as you say: as a vanilla tag it's not one people would tend to get worked up over.

Regarding rape, I don't want to lead anyone on who might be looking for it, but I was primarily worried about anyone who might draw a hard line about any non-consensuality being present.

Mikethe3DGuy

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2019
You don't really get to choose, if it matches the tag description then the tag is valid.

The situation you descibed is non-consensual sex, therefore rape tag is required once that stuff is in the game.
Animated tag is also valid even if only a few cgs are animated.

The only tag that could be up for debate is sci-fi because it explicitly states "when scifi elements are heavily present", so it will depend on how heavy your game is going to tackle those elements, but by your short description they seem to be very light so probably the tag won't apply.
Sounds like I literally get to choose, unless a moderator later takes issue with a tag that doesn't seem to fit, and removes it. Seems like you feel there there are no gray areas left by the tag descriptions. That might be the case for some tags, but certainly not all. I don't want to mislead anyone, but provide tags that describe the content most... usefully, and accurately, although that's where some areas are gray, in my opinion.

From my perspective, the story is not actually possible without made-up or fictional science... it's based on it.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
From my perspective, the story is not actually possible without made-up or fictional science... it's based on it.
Well you are the developer so you are the one who knows how heavy it actually is. It was more your first description that made it sound like a biological virus is to blame and everything else would be normal, which doesn't sound scifi enough to me but again I haven't played the game.
(if a single virus was all you needed to call something scifi then every zombie game would be sci-fi)

Mikethe3DGuy

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2019
Well you are the developer so you are the one who knows how heavy it actually is. It was more your first description that made it sound like a biological virus is to blame and everything else would be normal, which doesn't sound scifi enough to me but again I haven't played the game.
(if a single virus was all you needed to call something scifi then every zombie game would be sci-fi)
Fair enough, but it's a little more involved than just a virus. Involves dormant genes getting activated, after contribution from virus and/or vaccines...

TheMagicalGurl

God of Pregnancy
Game Developer
Feb 19, 2023
Fair enough, but it's a little more involved than just a virus. Involves dormant genes getting activated, after contribution from virus and/or vaccines...
Be honest with those you want to attract. Tell the truth and users will appreciate it and you gain respect and that wins hearts and minds. Sounds like all three apply. That's also why I sat there and did the same, even hinting at a likely NTR/Netori path so people are aware of that in my game...

Mikethe3DGuy

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2019
Be honest with those you want to attract. Tell the truth and users will appreciate it and you gain respect and that wins hearts and minds. Sounds like all three apply. That's also why I sat there and did the same, even hinting at a likely NTR/Netori path so people are aware of that in my game...
Thanks! Yeah I plan to directly engage with any questions from members on release thread, and answer questions about tagging, etc. My biggest concern is the Rape thing. Maybe no tag but a caution in the introduction post? Not sure. Don't want to tag "rape" when there isn't actually one.

TheMagicalGurl

God of Pregnancy
Game Developer
Feb 19, 2023
Thanks! Yeah I plan to directly engage with any questions from members on release thread, and answer questions about tagging, etc. My biggest concern is the Rape thing. Maybe no tag but a caution in the introduction post? Not sure. Don't want to tag "rape" when there isn't actually one.
"Dubious consent" is close enough for some. If you arent sure, tag it and explain in the devlog or notes.

Also, for every 5-10 people that likes the honesty, 1 person is an ass about just about everything. Don't take people too seriously. Learn, improve, be nice, treat people how you want to be treated as a fellow gamer and let people see you for who you are. That's gonna be my MO. Everyone is different though.