Need help Learning Renpy so I can make a game someday

goenji

Jul 6, 2017
Hey there,

So I am hopefully trying to in future make some content and in my free time trying to learn little bit of what I can but I want to make a post to get help learning specific stuff that I want to integrate in my game. I am complete amateur when it comes to coding so if possible, it will be great if you can add an example of the code.

It goes like this

Intro > Wake up next Day

It gives2-3 options and you can select it. Something like, go about your day, work, sleep. Select first option and randomly generates a scene from many many scenes but if some scenes are locked then it won't appear. For example, If your strength stat is 0 to 50, you will get gym scene where you are wimpy but if its 51 to 100, it will give something else and so on. If within gym scene, you select option to increase strength or speed and then it will give +1 to that stat. Now the stat is 51 so next day or next time you get gym scene, you will get the other scene.

Next Day

some start scenes for Next Day

And again similar, with same 2-3 options. Sleep to go to next day.

And keeps going. some scenes will repeat, but that is how the game is. An endless game with stats determining what scenes you will get.

for now I have just this plan, maybe it will change in future maybe not.

Scenes can go like this Date under tree(stats needed Love >+10, Planning >+20), gym scene 1(strength>+1 but <+50), Gym scene 2 ( strength>+51 but <+100) So every time you click go about your day, it will generate scenes depending on what stat you have. So if one doesnt want bdsm, he can just his stat below 20 but you will have normal scenes that might increase the bdsm stat if one wants.

I also want to integrate where you can customize character that will change in different scenes but I feel like that will be too much of a challenge but if you have insights or tutorials or anything, its better to learn than not at all.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
the ^Elaine tutorials are a great place to begin.

random routes will lead into a combinatorial explosion of complexity and it will soon become unmanageable. you won't be able to remember what you did where and how you meant it to work. in 6 or 18 months you'll have no idea what it was supposed to be. not impossible if you REALLY want it, but loaaaads of unnecessary work.

renpy really fits best for telling linear or rarely diverging storylines. like maybe have three main routes to which all choices lead eventually. you might think you need 5 or 9, but the truth is the best movie you ever saw only had one. 3 is not 'too few'.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
the ^Elaine tutorials are a great place to begin.

random routes will lead into a combinatorial explosion of complexity and it will soon become unmanageable. you won't be able to remember what you did where and how you meant it to work. in 6 or 18 months you'll have no idea what it was supposed to be. not impossible if you REALLY want it, but loaaaads of unnecessary work.

renpy really fits best for telling linear or rarely diverging storylines. like maybe have three main routes to which all choices lead eventually. you might think you need 5 or 9, but the truth is the best movie you ever saw only had one. 3 is not 'too few'.
Not quite true.
To avoid that problem, and many others during Game Development, devs create a Game Design Document to have a complete overview of the project, way before the actual development (assets, code, and so on).

However, I'd suggest making very simple games at the beginning, especially if you still need to learn everything involving Game Development.

Reactions: F4C430