Need Help On Deciding My Game Platform

asnaz

Feb 6, 2018
Hello everyone. I m seriously thinking on creating a game which will have my own likes but i m really nervous about tthe platform that i should do it in. Back in the time i had some experince with rpg maker and still some left. But there is a increase in popularity of VNDB games. So which platform you guys like to see a game in VN or RPG.

=For me rpg is way harder to impelent things and it would be hard to spend some time on game storyline whereas i want to spend most of my time trying to make a slow corruption based game. Personally i prefer rpg ones but some VNDB s are killing it/

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Really depends on what mechanics you want to implement. If traveling and combat is important to the story then it's RPGM probably. If it's light interaction with a visual/story focus then renpy is a great choice.

Reactions: asnaz

asnaz

Feb 6, 2018
Really depends on what mechanics you want to implement. If traveling and combat is important to the story then it's RPGM probably. If it's light interaction with a visual/story focus then renpy is a great choice.
well i m planning on making lots of status tab i guess i will give vn a try and see how it works

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
well i m planning on making lots of status tab i guess i will give vn a try and see how it works
Status tab isn't difficult to implement in renpy. Once you learn how screens work, you can essentially make any window in renpy from status to quest tracker, replay gallery, etc.

Best of luck to you, hope we get to see something soon!

Epadder

Programmer
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2016
Your number one priority when deciding to create anything is that you enjoy what you're making.

If making something in Ren'py or other VN focused engine isn't going to make the kind of game you want, then don't do it.

I will say that for a decent demographic, letting the story suffer for mechanical complexity will cause them to lose interest in your project.

There is another demographic of users (the ones that probably never post), who are just looking for erotic entertainment and don't really care about the 'story'. Those users are more likely to be attracted to the visuals, the frequency of sexual content, and the gameplay elements.

If traditional JPRG mechanics are the most important part of your project then RPGM will help you out a lot.

If the VN style of telling a story is more important and with a lot of convenience features for users then Ren'py will help with that.

Kthulian

www.kthuliangames.com
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
Your number one priority when deciding to create anything is that you enjoy what you're making.

If making something in Ren'py or other VN focused engine isn't going to make the kind of game you want, then don't do it.

I will say that for a decent demographic, letting the story suffer for mechanical complexity will cause them to lose interest in your project.

There is another demographic of users (the ones that probably never post), who are just looking for erotic entertainment and don't really care about the 'story'. Those users are more likely to be attracted to the visuals, the frequency of sexual content, and the gameplay elements.

If traditional JPRG mechanics are the most important part of your project then RPGM will help you out a lot.

If the VN style of telling a story is more important and with a lot of convenience features for users then Ren'py will help with that.
@asnaz the one up there is a great advice.

Do you know/played a game similar to what you want to do with yours? Does it work for you? Then do the same (y)

Reactions: papsuken and asnaz

asnaz

Feb 6, 2018
Thank you all for your advices since ı m free for a month or two ı will give both a try :D All ı need to do is lower the time ı spend on overwatch and path of exile lol :)

FlipTopBin

Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
One thing worth mentioning if you have a choice between rpgm and renpy is that I have seen a lot of hate for rpgm but I don't think I have even seen hate for renpy.

Reactions: Jack_Sparrow_Pirate

asnaz

Feb 6, 2018
One thing worth mentioning if you have a choice between rpgm and renpy is that I have seen a lot of hate for rpgm but I don't think I have even seen hate for renpy.
Actually what you mentioned was the thing that made me create a thread like this ı just wanted to know but without giving any of them a try ı can't decide

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
More than hate RPG Maker I think people hate unnecessary features.

If I were to do a Top-down RPG in which you need to walk 8 gigantic maps with the pace of a snail, people would hate it too regardless of the engine used.

If you can reproduce the same game but rather than walking by holding a key you can just click the place (Picture or text) and jump right into it, then making a Visual Novel with Ren'Py is the one you are looking for.

-edit-
Likewise having a rpg in which you walk at the speed of a rocket is meh

FlipTopBin

Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
Don't get me wrong, good games can be written in RPGM such as the excellent Cohabitation but a lot of people will see the RPGM tag and just not download it. Its also getting a bit dated now in its look and feel. Too 8 bit if you like.

@Winterfire is right though, it is the unnecesary features/clicks which put people off. Cohabitation doesn't use the little figures pootling around maps at all however the whole interface is a little more clunky that Renpy. Unity has great room to do anything you want on the other hand but is missing stuff which you get by default in Renpy (e.g. skip).

On the whole I find Renpy to be very easy to use, has good features and nothing which pisses people off, as well as having the ability to implement virtually anything you might want in a simple game or VN (complex games should use Unity).