Need help with 3Delight Assets

tempzedd

May 29, 2017
I don't have a Nvidia gpu, so Iray rendering is a pain for me and most of the assets i saw had iray surfaces.

I tried an Irayto3Delight script for converting surfaces but it wasnt useful, prolly i didnt do it right.
And i wanted to know if you guys render in Iray or 3Delight, and if i use 3delight are there assets/figures that aren't iray (3delight only like Genesis 2?).Since i heard rendering iray mats in 3delight is still gonna take alot of time.

If in fact you use 3delight and have a number of assets that are 3delight only, please mention how can i look for 3delight only assets.

P.S - I am a newbie and just started testing, so am not aware of alot of tricks and tips. Guidance is appreciated.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I'm the one who pops around and yells at everyone to use Blender. You could export some of your assets and load them into Blender. Blender uses Cycles, a type of ray tracing engine, and it works without a GPU. I find that the default shader set up is not the best looking, so you could use my for Blender for better-looking skin. In the future, I will be updating this to be more friendly with newer users. Other than that, it will be a few more hours before the Daz guru's come around.

Reactions: tempzedd

tempzedd

May 29, 2017
I'm the one who pops around and yells at everyone to use Blender. You could export some of your assets and load them into Blender. Blender uses Cycles, a type of ray tracing engine, and it works without a GPU. I find that the default shader set up is not the best looking, so you could use my for Blender for better-looking skin. In the future, I will be updating this to be more friendly with newer users. Other than that, it will be a few more hours before the Daz guru's come around.
Thank you for your reply, i do have a gpu its AMD tho so no help in iray, maybe it can be useful with blender i dont know yet, but ill check this out.

I'd like to know tho that are you suggesting that i export the iray assets into blender and then render the heavy stuff there and basic in daz and just photoshop it?

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
export the iray assets into blender and then render the heavy stuff there and basic in daz and just photoshop it?
Yep, so long as you are not giving away the files, then it should be perfectly fine if you are worried about any legal concerns. And if you want to render a bunch of SFW stuff, you can use Sheep-it, a free render farm to help you render a lot faster. It has to be SFW because the render farm is free do to people like me who basically leave their computer on, and when somebody wants something render, my computer renders it, it also shows a preview of what was worked on, so as a result, it has to be SFW. If you need to do NSFW stuff, you can find private groups in sheep-it which will help render that stuff, so far I have not found such a group though.

Reactions: tempzedd

MrBree

Jun 9, 2017
@Saki_Sliz Just an FYI -- any time you suggest that someone use a different software when they ask a question related to a specific one, you run the risk of triggering fans of that specific software. So it is usually considered rude due to the consequences. This is a very very old fact. There is a document from *1980* asking for an end to ... yet..

Emacs vs vi! The ! (They seriously have their own .. really) So let's try not to piss the faithful with your heretical talk.

It is usually wise to wait until you know nothing else works, and then your 'workaround' sounds more reasonable.
I do believe that Daz pretty much only works with Nvidia cards. So you might have a decent solution. But I understand there are trade-offs in porting the assets which makes it problematic.
I'm rather interested in hearing more on this, but let's not hijack the thread and let OP get a Daz related answer. Would you mind posting up a new thread with more info on your suggestions?

Reactions: Saki_Sliz

tempzedd

May 29, 2017
Yep, so long as you are not giving away the files, then it should be perfectly fine if you are worried about any legal concerns. And if you want to render a bunch of SFW stuff, you can use Sheep-it, a free render farm to help you render a lot faster. It has to be SFW because the render farm is free do to people like me who basically leave their computer on, and when somebody wants something render, my computer renders it, it also shows a preview of what was worked on, so as a result, it has to be SFW. If you need to do NSFW stuff, you can find private groups in sheep-it which will help render that stuff, so far I have not found such a group though.
Thanks that solves the issue partly, definitely gonna try it

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
@MrBree The Chaos Gods Command Me! You Follow The False Emperor! :p

Since I don't use Daz or have it, I fail to be to even be able to fully recommend this 'workaround' since I can not verify for myself whether it is even feasible myself. It may be up to @tempzedd to invent the technique. If the situation was perfect, and I could convert a user to use Blender, even if it is just for the rendering; I would not only like to be able to show it is possible, with maybe a guide written where I can link to it to show the steps (I haven't found a fully written out guide yet), at best it would be visual, I would also like to practice the technique it so that I know any quarks and I can give a warning ahead of time. Hopefully, the process doesn't have too many gotchas. Right now my budget is pretty tight, and I haven't looked too deep into Daz, so I wouldn't know how much it would cost to get started, just to test the idea. If I could say more, then I would start a separate thread about the topic.

MrBree

Jun 9, 2017
@MrBree The Chaos Gods Command Me! You Follow The False Emperor! :p
:ROFLMAO:
I'm a software atheist. I use whatever works. Begone foul zealot! :p

Given that, I'd like to try an address @tempzedd's question. I don't honestly know enough to give a real answer, but there are tools to make using 3delight easier. There's a on the at the Daz site, with information about shaders, etc; and a thread dedicated to . That is a good place to start.
Another option is to try using an alternative renderer, but I am unaware of any for Daz that work with AMD GPUs (I would like to know myself).

As for exporting to blender, I found a . No idea if it is any good, or if it would be helpful at all in the process. Especially considering that using two different bits of software requires even more work to learn both. From the outside (I know nothing!) it appears that Daz3d trumps Blender in the range of existing character models, and its comparative ease of use. It is probably wise to stick with Daz in this specific type of use case.
Blender is much much more generic in this regard. Good at lots of things. But not necessarily the best at this specific subject. Rendering and animation is much better in Blender though. So like I said, stick with the specific software until we know the outside solution is a better idea (aka, worth the extra hassle).