Need help with character lighting

Puppeteer_dns

Apr 2, 2023
I'm playing Being a DIK right now and he really does a great job with his character lighting, I've tried to recreate it but have been unsuccessful.

I'm new to Daz and I've realized that lighting is a huge learning curve, so I was hoping I could get some help.

I would like to achieve the effect shown in the picture :
screenshot0005 5.png

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I'm playing Being a DIK right now and he really does a great job with his character lighting,
Unpopular opinion, but he really doesn't. At all. I've said it before, but I'd really urge anyone new to Daz to avoid lighting the way he does. You'll thank yourself later.

I'm new to Daz and I've realized that lighting is a huge learning curve, so I was hoping I could get some help.

I would like to achieve the effect shown in the picture :
There's no magic pill for learning lighting. The single most important concept of learning lighting early on is understanding how it works and why it acts the way it does in a multitude of scenarios. Then how to manipulate the light into acting how you want it to. The size of the lights, the colors of the room and how it changes the bouncing of colors, how to block and bounce/reflect the light, etc. And even if I say DPC's lighting rides the line of below average, it's not like it happened overnight. He found what worked for him and does it.

That being said, start with some tutorials. Namely, Dreamlight. While rendering techniques and other content is hit or miss, his lighting advice in on point. At the very least, it'll lay a good fundamental base to learn from. After that, keep practicing. Try new things. Try to copy the lighting you see in photos or movies. There's plenty of videography/photography lighting tutorials on YouTube that'll apply to Daz, among all the other Daz tutorials out there on the platform.

But to answer your question:

screenshot0005_5.png

Traditionally, in this style of composition, you want your lighting coming from above to create shadow. Shadow, used in the right amounts, creates a more interesting dynamic in renders (note the lack of natural shadow in the example render. A rather common issue in BaD and all of its clones.). It's as if there's a flashlight being pointed at her, or someone's taking a picture. Which obviously doesn't fit the context of the render. Shadows aren't always needed, but they should exist naturally if your aim is realistic lighting.

I'm not going to make a completely new render just to show you, but here's some similar renders in concept:

mce6_touch.png mce18.png

It's fine if you want to do something similar to DPC, to be clear. But knowing how to light scenes fundamentally will make your life a lot easier. Especially when you start running into things like size constraints, camera angles, etc.

Reactions: rebirth3rd