Daz Need help with daz render

maverick555

Dec 10, 2019
I am using the Lucas 8 bundle.

The problem is that there are 2 black spots on his forehead and I don't know how to remove them. If anyone knows how to do it please help.

Also, I am not able to remove the pubic hair so if anyone can suggest how to do that as well would be a huge favor!

Thank you

aass.png

Phanex

under a black flag we shall sail
Mar 16, 2020
increase the forehead depth by 5% and it should disappear

Reactions: ozbozoz

n3wg0d

Nov 2, 2020
Did my first render with no lighting and have tanlines. The girl came out way darker than her tan was and had specs of tiny white dots, some in groups, some by themselves on the face and chest. Any insight into pre render adjustments to make the skin lighter and avoid the micro dots? I'm a crafty noob, but need a bit of wisdom. Thank you in advance.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Did my first render with no lighting and have tanlines. The girl came out way darker than her tan was and had specs of tiny white dots, some in groups, some by themselves on the face and chest. Any insight into pre render adjustments to make the skin lighter and avoid the micro dots? I'm a crafty noob, but need a bit of wisdom. Thank you in advance.
Making the skin lighter - there's a very good chance that's lighting related. Skins, in particular, tend to be sensitive to lighting. (They are in the real world, too.)

The random dots (usually referred to as "fireflies") are almost always a sign that iRay hasn't converged - it's basically noise. Solutions:
  • Run the render longer. Use the Progressive Render tab to allow the render to run longer, or for more iterations, or both.
  • Some people swear by making the render larger, and then shrinking it in post-production. (Personally, I've had better luck with running the render longer.)
  • Again, lighting. iRay has much more trouble getting dim areas to converge than well-lit areas.

Reactions: n3wg0d

n3wg0d

Nov 2, 2020
Making the skin lighter - there's a very good chance that's lighting related. Skins, in particular, tend to be sensitive to lighting. (They are in the real world, too.)

The random dots (usually referred to as "fireflies") are almost always a sign that iRay hasn't converged - it's basically noise. Solutions:
  • Run the render longer. Use the Progressive Render tab to allow the render to run longer, or for more iterations, or both.
  • Some people swear by making the render larger, and then shrinking it in post-production. (Personally, I've had better luck with running the render longer.)
  • Again, lighting. iRay has much more trouble getting dim areas to converge than well-lit areas.
Thanks a billion Rich, just finished building another character, trying that now.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Thanks a billion Rich, just finished building another character, trying that now.
You're welcome. As you're probably finding out, lighting is key to good renders. That's true in photography, of course - it's the subtle shadows that tell our eyes that a 2-D image is of a 3-D object. So, if you're going for "photoreal," studying lighting is important.

Now, any scene, no matter how poorly lit, will eventually converge with iRay. But iRay's algorithms don't work nearly as well in dimly lit areas. So, areas that have direct lighting (i.e. a spotlight pointing at them, or lit by an HDRI) are the first to converge, and areas that aren't (deep shadows, etc.) are the last to converge. Some of that has to do with the fact that areas that are indirectly lit require iRay to calculate a lot of "light bounces" to figure out how much light is actually getting there. So, within limits, having a scene brightly and directly lit will help iRay finish up more quickly. (You can overdo that, of course, but that's the very simple rule of thumb.)

Fireflies are the result of iRay not having figured out a particular pixel yet. So, it may have made a first-order approximation, and "guessed wrong" (sort of) in terms of how one pixel relates to adjacent pixels. Thus, until iRay has had a chance to work on that pixel longer, it's out of kilter with respect to its neighbors. That's what the "convergence" setting is in the Render Settings is about - what percent of the pixels have to have gotten "fully converged" (based on iRay's algorithms) before iRay will decide the render is complete. It defaults to 95% - cranking it up above that will cause iRay to spend longer trying to make sure more pixels are "perfect."

As a render nears completion, usually the pixels that haven't converged are close enough to those around it that you don't see the bright spots. But that's not always the case - it's kind of a crap shoot. Daz Studio does have a "denoiser" that you can instruct to kick in to help with this kind of thing. It helps get rid of fireflies, but if you turn it on too soon in the rendering process, it can make things look less realistic. Skin, in particular, because skin involves a lot of tricky computations to end up looking correct. So, expect renders that are showing a lot of skin as a percentage of the whole picture (e.g. closeups, etc.) to take longer, because of the extra computations on those pixels. ("Sub-Surface Scattering," if you want to read up on it.)

n3wg0d

Nov 2, 2020
You're welcome. As you're probably finding out, lighting is key to good renders. That's true in photography, of course - it's the subtle shadows that tell our eyes that a 2-D image is of a 3-D object. So, if you're going for "photoreal," studying lighting is important.

Now, any scene, no matter how poorly lit, will eventually converge with iRay. But iRay's algorithms don't work nearly as well in dimly lit areas. So, areas that have direct lighting (i.e. a spotlight pointing at them, or lit by an HDRI) are the first to converge, and areas that aren't (deep shadows, etc.) are the last to converge. Some of that has to do with the fact that areas that are indirectly lit require iRay to calculate a lot of "light bounces" to figure out how much light is actually getting there. So, within limits, having a scene brightly and directly lit will help iRay finish up more quickly. (You can overdo that, of course, but that's the very simple rule of thumb.)

Fireflies are the result of iRay not having figured out a particular pixel yet. So, it may have made a first-order approximation, and "guessed wrong" (sort of) in terms of how one pixel relates to adjacent pixels. Thus, until iRay has had a chance to work on that pixel longer, it's out of kilter with respect to its neighbors. That's what the "convergence" setting is in the Render Settings is about - what percent of the pixels have to have gotten "fully converged" (based on iRay's algorithms) before iRay will decide the render is complete. It defaults to 95% - cranking it up above that will cause iRay to spend longer trying to make sure more pixels are "perfect."

As a render nears completion, usually the pixels that haven't converged are close enough to those around it that you don't see the bright spots. But that's not always the case - it's kind of a crap shoot. Daz Studio does have a "denoiser" that you can instruct to kick in to help with this kind of thing. It helps get rid of fireflies, but if you turn it on too soon in the rendering process, it can make things look less realistic. Skin, in particular, because skin involves a lot of tricky computations to end up looking correct. So, expect renders that are showing a lot of skin as a percentage of the whole picture (e.g. closeups, etc.) to take longer, because of the extra computations on those pixels. ("Sub-Surface Scattering," if you want to read up on it.)
That was an awesome in depth explanation, I literally did not know how the rendering process worked, now I do. Thanks again. Will be researching denoiser as well, but just starting out I was kinda like defaults should do for initial renders. Not the case, lol. Thanks for waking me up.

n3wg0d

Nov 2, 2020
I need help! I followed advice about parameters settings, setting it to 255 from 254, and it set all of my character morphs to have the same morphs as this single character I had loaded at the time. So when I load in any actor, etc, their morphs are set to this setting as a baseline. How can I reset it? I have tried:
Uninstalling/ reinstalling (daz, IM, etc.)
Reset to defaults-
Changing parameters settings back to 254-
Edit-figure-morphs to zero-
Nothing works.

It started with a fix for heavy actor loading times so I checked logs and found recently installed expression smoother or whatever by D.Master was the problem creating a lot of errors. So I deleted it, but before I did I found a forum on Daz about setting parameters settings to 255 using the gear in the parameters tab. When I changed it it asked was I sure, the guy in the forum said to click yes.
**The one thing I am doing is not deleting everything when I uninstall Daz, my library is full af and I do not want to have to reinstall all of that, it's like 1200 installs. Maybe thinking parameters settings are in my library folder in data or presets or something.
If someone could help I would be extremely grateful, seriously. Thanks for listening to my f up, please help a newb.