need help with graininess

lordshimra

Mar 30, 2017
so i am trying out lighting in a room coming through the windows. i have tried using various hdri images to do this but i still get this grainy result. not sure if there is something in the render settings that i am not selecting or changing to fix this.

this image is using the tropical beach from this site and a light prob kit to try to make it a bit brighter in there. elliebedroom1.png

this is all new to me and if there are any tutorials that i can be pointed out to that would be great. thanks

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
so i am trying out lighting in a room coming through the windows. i have tried using various hdri images to do this but i still get this grainy result. not sure if there is something in the render settings that i am not selecting or changing to fix this.

this image is using the tropical beach from this site and a light prob kit to try to make it a bit brighter in there. View attachment 316804

this is all new to me and if there are any tutorials that i can be pointed out to that would be great. thanks
You would get more help asking in this thread: 3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018

this image is using the tropical beach from this site and a light prob kit to try to make it a bit brighter in there. View attachment 316804

From my experience HDRI lightening don't work well on interior setup without the help of a HDRI camera. And even, with mixed results.

If you've not installed it yet, I strongly suggest you to use Iray Light Manager PRO. It makes all you lightning source accessible in one panel (should be in My Library/Scripts/V3Digitimes Iray Light Manager Pro). Right click -> create a custom action to have it in your toolbar for easy access.

From your render I don't see the point of using a HDRI image, a simple white dome should be way better. Remove your all your light probe, and run ILMP.

In the environment tab, set environment mode on "Dome only", draw style in "NVidia Iray", and set the map to none. Now rotate the dome with the dome rotation setting to have the light coming in the correct direction/angle (if you have trouble, start at zero and add 30....0/30/60/90/120 etc to 330).

Once your dome is correct, you can play with Exposure Value (in the upper left corner). The less exposure the more light. You can also play with Environment/Map Intensity. And you can now your add light probes to adjust your scene if you want.

Note that "dome only" render dome and emissive light (such as light probe/ghost light) and you need to switch "Dome and Scene" if you use pointlight and spotlight (which are really great to use).

lcp

May 1, 2017
you want to use Daz 4.11 BETA, which has the Post Denoiser. Set start iteration high (at the end of the render), and you get all grain killed. The lower you set the start iteration, the more detail on textures get lost.

screenshot.116.jpg

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Why install unnecessary stuff? Go to render settings and increase the environment intensity, then go to tone mapping and increase the exposure value to compensate the intensity.

To explain: Grainy render come from not having enough light in the scene. By incresing the environment intensity, you increase the amount of light the hdri produces and therefore reduce the grain. The tone mapping tab affects only the camera, so when you reduce the light in this tab (or increase it) with the shutter speed it won't change the amount of grain in your render, but the light the camera captures. So this way you increase the light for the render, and decrease it for the camera.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Why install unnecessary stuff?
Might be one of the most useful DAZ script at least for me, or you're some kind of masochist :D
Daz is terrible with lights management, having only one tab for all your source of lightning a is huge improvement/time saving (imagine modifing your ~10 surfaces lights one by one with the scene/surface tab when you can get all of them in one list, I can't even...).

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Might be one of the most useful DAZ script at least for me, or you're some kind of masochist :D
Daz is terrible with lights management, having only one tab for all your source of lightning a is huge improvement/time saving (imagine modifing your ~10 surfaces lights one by one with the scene/surface tab when you can get all of them in one list, I can't even...).
I usually don't have more then 2 lights, often just 1, and barely 3. It's also better to use fewer light sources, because every light source adds to the render time.
In the few cases I added more than just 3 lights I use instances, so when I change one, every other will change automatically.
There are a lot of tricks you can do in Daz that make life easier without installing scripts.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Oh yeah I do agree, for a close shot/simple scene, generaly the more simple the better, imo.

But when you work on more complex one and you got that model with a cell phone... with a TV turned on... In a large room where you put those 5 lights probes... and its two bedside lamps & so on... The back & forth is quite insane.

Even with a simple dome, a spotlight and a filler, modifynig the three on the fly while still in preview feel good. I don't know why Daz didn't have this natively (or I missed something).

Last edited:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Oh yeah I do agree, for a close shot/simple scene, generaly the more simple the better, imo.

But when you work on more complex one and you got that model with a cell phone... with a TV turned on... In a large room where you put those 5 lights probes... and its two bedside lamps & so on... The back & forth is quite insane.

Even with a simple dome, a spotlight and a filler, modifynig the three on the fly while still in preview feel good. I don't know why Daz didn't have this natively (or I missed something).
No there is nothing like this natively and yes, I agree that many different light sources can be a pain in the ass^^

lordshimra

Mar 30, 2017
hey thanks for the info. i have been messing around with it when i get the chance. man that iray manager is really neat. thought it did scare the crap out of me cause i did not know it would render preview and i thought i did something i was not suppose to do

lordshimra

Mar 30, 2017
with using that iray light manager is there a way to see how long it will take to render the preview? just curious cause if it is near completion and still grainy i can try something else

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Nope, it's not always true, but generally you can have a hint at how fast your Iray preview "pixellate"/update. You can abort your render at any time tho.