HTML Need Help With My First Game!

Taturis

Aug 28, 2017
Hello

I am currently making a html game using twine v1.4.2 I have a few problems/questions.
First I am having trouble with making a back to previous page option. Can anyone give me the different ways of doing that? I also would like to be able to give players the option of saving their progress. Can anyone please tell me how to go about doing that? My last question is can anyone help me to be able to give players the ability to see a profile of their character?

CobraPL

NTR PALADIN
Donor
Sep 3, 2016
Hello. There are many great Twine dev on this forum:
I hope that also here, on F95 someone could help you.

Taturis

Aug 28, 2017
Hello. There are many great Twine dev on this forum:
I hope that also here, on F95 someone could help you.
Thank you. I will register there and see if I can get some help. I really appreciate you replying to my thread. I also hope some people on here can help as well.

Taturis

Aug 28, 2017
I am no longer using it I am using twine 2.2.1, and sugarcube is the format I am using

CobraPL

NTR PALADIN
Donor
Sep 3, 2016
AFAIK Twine 2.0 lacks anything like menu, savegame, etc. assets. While for 1.4.x + sugarcube there are such assets somewhere. It is much better to use REN'PY than TWINE IMO.

CeLezte

Sep 10, 2017
It is much better to use REN'PY than TWINE IMO.
... and I assume you are proficient with both frameworks and have used both extensively for making games?

Let's unpack your statements:
"AFAIK Twine 2.0 lacks anythinglike menu, savegame, etc. assets."

Twine 2 supports all of these, but instead of offering something that doesn't work for corner case designs (which is what Twine 1 does), it gives you the tools to fine tune and create your own menus, save game logic and asset pipeline. You just need to know how to customize/program these things correctly and wire them up to Twine 2 over the exposed APIs of your chosen Story Format (such as SugarCube's UI and UIBar API).

"It is much better to use REN'PY than TWINE"
Well sure, if there's a nail, I'll grab a hammer. Unless I'm dealing with a screw, cause in that case I'll need a screwdriver.

Same applies for game engines and frameworks. Renpy is great for visual novels that doesn't require you to interact with text too much and you are not targetting the browser as the execution environment, on the other hand you want access to the file system and have a bunch of asset pipelines ready for you to use out of the box.

What Twine does well is creating text based games for the web, while Renpy is a better choice for visual novels. So that we stay clear from missunderstandings: I am not stating that any one of these game frameworks are better than the other, nor I am saying that with a bit of thinkering a certain type of game cannot be done in the other.

Reactions: LatZaiN and HiEv