Need help with my render

FapForYourLife

Game Developer
Jul 26, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Don't know why or how to fix this but somehow I can't feel this character "alive", it look like a doll to me . How should I do? I don't know what I lack of .
Also what do you think about my render? Is it good or bad? What point do I need to fix?

Reactions: jolann

nillamello

Game Developer
Oct 11, 2018
My initial though before I clicked on the spoiler tag was that you probably didn't have an appropriate SSS level dialed in for a realistic skintone. After looking, that doesn't seem to be 100% the case, but you can certainly play with that setting to see how you like the results.

Have you played with lighting? There are some good studio light tutorials available for Daz that can give a portrait a boost and HDR environment lighting is a simple way to get realistic global lights (the exception being inside of rooms... Daz and rooms, man, such a mess).

As far as quality goes, the pose is good and the face is a little stiff, but not unrealistic. You have some troubles with clipping on the hair (going through the breast and the arm), and it looks her left breast may be clipping through the left arm as well. Some breast morphs should be able to sold that problem.

Reactions: FapForYourLife

Elementario

Game Developer
Nov 11, 2017
Well, I am still new to rendering comparatively to most people here, but here's my thoughts
First thing that came to my mind is lighting, believe I made a lot of mistakes in my renders by keeping the light stale white.
Add some yellows/oranges, it will make the render look really alive

I think it already looks much more alive.

Second, the hair, maybe the hair seems a bit too stiff/doll like.
Try changing the hairstyle?

And lastly maybe its the face, but I think it kinda suits well. Maybe not for a main character but a really good Love interest/mom/teacher.

Rest is really pretty good actually, the thing that many people (including me) fail at is showing a character's personality through the render, I think you have done a pretty good job at that.

Overall, a really good render.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Whats your lightning set-up? There's a lack of shadows/tints in the picture which makes it seems like a doll.

A very common used lightning set-up you could try out is a 3-point lightning system. I created a quick scheme how they should be set-up. All 3 should be on a 15-45 angle up from your camera (so the light comes from above)

A key light from where the light comes from. This is your main frontal lightning and should be high enough to light up your model.

A fill light at the opposite side of your key light to lightning up the shadows up a bit. This should be half the strength of your key light at most. Around a 1/4th or a 1/5th is more often used

The back light is to give your character a glow from the back, and is often your strongest light. Just increase it till you get a nice glow around your hair.

For the rest there are some minor anatomy adjustments you could make, which might make her look more realistic. Her shoulders are a bit to narrow, the curve from her middle torso to the hips seems a bit to sharp (I would say it should start a bit higher up), and she misses the line between her belly button going up between her breasts (that one might be there but isnt shown because of the lightning issue).

Its a good render overall though. Did you made it from scratch?

Last edited:
Reactions: Elementario

FapForYourLife

Game Developer
Jul 26, 2017
Whats your lightning set-up? There's a lack of shadows/tints in the picture which makes it seems like a doll.

A very common used lightning set-up you could try out is a 3-point lightning system. I created a quick scheme how they should be set-up. All 3 should be on a 15-45 angle up from your camera (so the light comes from above)

A key light from where the light comes from. This is your main frontal lightning and should be high enough to light up your model.

A fill light at the opposite side of your key light to lightning up the shadows up a bit. This should be half the strength of your key light at most. Around a 1/4th or a 1/5th is more often used

The back light is to give your character a glow from the back, and is often your strongest light. Just increase it till you get a nice glow around your hair.

For the rest there are some minor anatomy adjustments you could make, which might make her look more realistic. Her shoulders are a bit to narrow, the curve from her middle torso to the hips seems a bit to sharp (I would say it should start a bit higher up), and she misses the line between her belly button going up between her breasts (that one might be there but isnt shown because of the lightning issue).

Its a good render overall though. Did you made it from scratch?
I use HDRI for lighting and for character I just combine this and that. thank you very much for lighting technique

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I use HDRI for lighting and for character I just combine this and that. thank you very much for lighting technique
As Synx points out, shadows are actually one of the keys to making things look more real, as they are part of what our eyes use as clues to the shaps of something being viewed. A key mistake that newbies sometimes make is to point lights directly at a figure, which means that you see very little of the shape. The classic 3-point light scheme uses lights from either side of the camera, so that the path from each light is at an angle to the figure (as seen from the camera) which creates shadows across the face, giving you a much better look at the figure's shape based on shading. HDRI's do something of the same, since all the light doesn't come from a single direction. Note that you can change the orientation of an HDRI in the Render Properties > Environment section - sometimes this can help you get more pleasing lighting.

Another important thing about lighting is that Daz spotlights default to being point lights, which cast incredibly sharp shadows, which are completely unrealistic. Thus, when you DO use spotlights, you almost always want to change them to have area. I typically use rectangles. The default, when you do that, is a 10cm square - if I'm trying to simulate something really spot-light-ish, I'll use that, but if I'm trying to simulate a window or something similar, I may make it much bigger. This creates much softer edges on shadows, which is also much more real-worldy.

There's this tug-of-war on lighting, unfortunately. iRay wants lots of light everywhere in order to converge quickly, but shadows (sometimes fairly dark ones) create much more realistic-looking scenes. I see some games with renders that make heavy use of ghost lights everywhere to speed things up, but they always end up looking flat to me.

Anyway, there's more information for you. Note that I'm not saying that shadows are the ONLY thing relating to whether your model looks "real" or "doll-like," but as you start to render more than just an isolated figure, hopefully some of this will come in handy.

Reactions: FapForYourLife