Need Help with Ren'Py

BiggeboyRon

Apr 30, 2018
Hello, I am new to development, I have an idea that I want to make to increase my skill, could someone help me or just point me in the right direction to find guides/tutorials on how to create a character stat system like strength or intelligence, a day system 6am-9pm, day 1 day 2..., x% chance to successfully do action based on stats.

Morgan42

Oct 9, 2019
Honestly, your best bet is just googling stuff. Ren'py's forums have a lot of good templates but code is interesting becuase it's like handwriting, it's unique to the person. Google "renpy day cycle" and the first post should be a nice template for advancing days.

Ninox

Jan 28, 2020
As another new developer, I agree that learning to google specifically what you need at the time is probably the best route to take. There are some tutorial series out there, but they often end before covering any of the deeper stuff or just aren't that great in the first place.

What there ARE a lot of, though, are guides and tutorials on the programming language itself. For Renpy, that would be Python. I feel like a basic understanding of that would be the biggest help, but I also get that it can be a motivation killer if you're just wanting to dive in and actually make some semblance of a game and have fun.

Again though, I'm pretty new myself, so there might be a bunch of great options I just don't know about. If anyone out there does have any easy zero-to-hero-in-a-week guides or anything sign me up dude

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
You don't actually have to know much (or any) Python to get started with Ren'py - while Ren'py is implemented in Python and can allow you to use Python in your projects to do things that Ren'py can't do, you can create a perfectly good visual novel without using any. (Or, at least, nothing past $ variable = value, which technically is Python.

The only thing I would caution you wrt Googling tutorials is to watch out for the date of the tutorial. Many of them are old, and will teach you techniques that have been superceded by newer approaches. For example, "image buttons" have largely replaced "image maps." So, where possible, look for tutorials that use Ren'py 7, as opposed to 6, or which are later than, say, mid-2018 (which is when 7.0 was released).[/icode]