Need infos about Daz 3D and UE4 - I'm a lazy fuck so please spoonfeed me

colascage

Nov 24, 2017
It always bugged me that the amount of h-games made with UE4 using the DAZ 3D models are quite rare. After doing some research I got to know why. You need to get a licence if you want to use those models in a 3D engine. However if you just use them as 2D images there is no need for it which explains the absurd amount of renpy games which make use of those models...
Still there are some questions open and the important one being: If i make a free UE4 game using those models do I still have to pay? Does anyone here have experience with UE4 + DAZ3D? Any information is welcome.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 9thCrux

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
yes, you still have to pay. Not really negotiable. But I haven't used the 3D models in any game engine, but I have explored the option. I mean, you could try to sneak the model in, but if the daz people find out, it will not be good. I have also thought about just retopologizing a custom mesh based on a Daz model (since it is the mesh you must pay for), this way one could user their own model but still mimic daz quality. But I would also probably make the mesh at a lower resolution and even if me or others did it ta the same or higher resolution, the final product still probably wouldn't be as good. And that is still kinda gray zoning in what is ok.

Reactions: colascage

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017

When you buy an asset in the Daz store you have the right to use in your renders not to distribute the 3D model in any way or form.

You can use the models to make renders; renders that you can sell... or include in a visual novel, manga, comic or other medium that you can sell for profit.

The only way to distribute the 3D asset in a game is if you buy the interactive license.

Better look for 3D models clearly labeled "free for commercial and non-commercial use", Daz assets are not freeware, royalty free, or shareware...

Try
Or similar opensource models.

Last edited:

WishyWashWosh

Apr 20, 2019
You also need to go through some intermediate DCC, such as blender, and clean stuff up. The bone hierarchy doesn't suit UE4, the model use unnecessarily many material slots. Worst of all is that DAZ use dual quaternion, while UE4 use classic linear for smooth skinning . So either you have go through the pain and repaint, live with it or . I tested the last one and it works fine.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
You also need to go through some intermediate DCC, such as blender, and clean stuff up. The bone hierarchy doesn't suit UE4, the model use unnecessarily many material slots. Worst of all is that DAZ use dual quaternion, while UE4 use classic linear for smooth skinning . So either you have go through the pain and repaint, live with it or . I tested the last one and it works fine.
Bloody Hell! Thank you for that! I had noticed some issues with this in Blender and thought I was not as good as I thought I was, or just crazy!