Need some advice with game engine

Dec 22, 2021
Hello there, i am planning on creating a game using HS2 but i am facing a problem. I am not sure which game engine should i use. I looked at the guide and narrowed down Renpy and RPGMZ as more suitable options but i needed some advice from you all, which game engine do you think is suitable in the long run, in terms of how easy is it to add content, community support, adding extra features, etc.

voronkov

Aug 27, 2018
Смотря что планируешь делать. Если визуальная новелла то даже с дополнениями это Renpy. Если же надо много бегать и бои то легче RPGMZ. Хотя и то и то возможно делать и наоборот. Правда будет сложнее. Я сам использую HS2 и Renpy.

See what you plan to do. If it's a visual novel, then even with additions, it's Renpy. If you have to run and fight a lot, then RPGMZ is easier. Although it is possible to do both and vice versa. The truth will be more difficult. I myself use HS2 and Renpy.

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
I use Ren'py for my game and it's relatively easy to use. It allows you to do simple things easily so it's great for beginners. More complex stuff is basically based on Python, and god knows there's plenty on information on that online.

Dec 22, 2021
See what you plan to do. If it's a visual novel, then even with additions, it's Renpy. If you have to run and fight a lot, then RPGMZ is easier. Although it is possible to do both and vice versa. The truth will be more difficult. I myself use HS2 and Renpy.
Yes, it's a VN. I myself like Renpy a lot, and it would also sharpen my python skills and i dont think the game needs any battle system. But i am also a fan of rpg genre. Like i love interacting with npc and the whole world, grinding levels, etc. it just adds a bit of life in the game.

I use Ren'py for my game and it's relatively easy to use. It allows you to do simple things easily so it's great for beginners. More complex stuff is basically based on Python, and god knows there's plenty on information on that online.
Yes i also found renpy easy to use but i wanted to know how big is the community support for renpy, because i feel like i will be making a lot of errors throughout the game development, so it would be helpful if there's someone to guide me in such cases. That's my biggest concern. Also what guide/tutorial would you personally suggest for those new to renpy ?

Reactions: cisco_donovan

cnwolf

Jan 1, 2018
Personally i avoid any kind of game that uses rpgm. They are mostly just time consuming for no reason (Go from a to b, repeat etc) & it's kind of weird when it switches all the time from 3d to 2d when the "scene" ends. So do the world a favor and use Renpy :D
But i am also a fan of rpg genre. Like i love interacting with npc and the whole world, grinding levels, etc. it just adds a bit of life in the game.
You can do that in renpy too if you don't want simple storyline with 2-3 options each interaction.
For example there are some good more complex games from lopgold:
- Living with Temptation
- Eleanor

Dec 22, 2021
They are mostly just time consuming for no reason (Go from a to b, repeat etc)
I guess I'm one of those minorities :)

You can do that in renpy too if you don't want simple storyline with 2-3 options each interaction.
For example there are some good more complex games from lopgold:
- Living with Temptation
- Eleanor
That makes sense. Tbh i really loved Eleanor, although the ui was quite terrible but yeah, it makes sense to focus more on story than the grinding part

Reactions: cnwolf

Pinnacle_Games

Game Developer
Jul 12, 2022
When I started making my game, I explored both options. I found Renpy being the more versatile option, however you need some good programming knowledge in Python to really get your worth out of it. Using HS2 will give you great graphics but that in itself is a learning curve to get the best possible images for your game.

There is a TON of resources on how to get the most from Renpy. You just need some imagination and patience till you get it down.