Need some advices

Aromabish

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2017
Hello, straight to the point.
I'm programmer(yeah, all this time I was only coding). But now I want to study 3D modeling for adult games. I've used Zbrush and it appeared to be more sculpting rather than "create models fast, then create animation".
What tool do you recommend learning to make models and animations for adult games? Write not only the title, but also the arguments.
Thanks.

BrainWaves

May 6, 2020
Hi, Zbrush is a good software for detailled models, but it only does sculpting (or texturing but not recommanded).

The thing about the 3d workflow is that it has a lot of steps to create either a cool render or a good asset, and sculpting is only one of those.

Basically, you want a "main" software that you'll use for most of the work, and some specific steps would be done in other, more specialized softwares (like Zbrush).

Examples of what I call "main", or generalist 3D softwares are Blender, Maya and 3dsMax. There are probably others but these are the most common ones (and best according to my knowledge).

You can use a generalist 3D software for everything from modelling the basis of the character to animating and exporting, and most of them even have sculpting tools but if you want to aim for realistic of very detailled, Zbrush is a good choice.
(of course once you made your model with millions of polygons in it you want to do a retopology in the generalist software or using Zbrush tools, then bake maps like normals to have the details on a lighter version of the model).

As for which software I'd recommand, I can't speak for the three I've mentionned above, but I know Maya and Blender fairly well I think.

They both are pretty powerfull really, and they have their own pros and cons, for example Maya has everything in menus so when you don't know the shortcuts it's more beginner friendly.
But it's not free, and the student license only lasts a year so you'll want to look into getting it the unofficial way.

Blender, on the other hand has more of a learning curve. The shortcuts are very important so the start is a bit rough, but once you get to know them you'll increase your working speed a lot.
It's the one I use these days so I'd recommand it for a bunch of reasons. One of them is how much it keeps improving. They just keep adding new stuff and improving so much and so fast, it's already full of great features and it keeps on going.
Also some of the features make the workflow more flexible and less of a headacke. You can correct mistakes you made early on without redoing everything.
One of those features is the "action editor" which allows in the software to create the animations on different "files" which works in the export to game engines. Sounds simple but it makes life a lot simpler when working on video games animations.
It's open source, too, so the community is very active and there's a bunch of very usefull addons out there.
Another good thing about the active community is how easy it is to find information on Blender. If you want to learn something, chances are you'll find it on youtube or one of the dedicated forums.
Also it's free, so getting it is a lot simpler.

Well that's what I think anyway. The other two softwares (Maya and 3dsMax) are also very powerfull but I feel like comparing them is pretty hard, so it kind of comes down to personnal liking in the end.

Does it answer your question ? I may have overexplained things but I don't know what you know about 3d and all that so better be safe.

Aromabish

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2017
Hi, Zbrush is a good software for detailled models, but it only does sculpting (or texturing but not recommanded).

The thing about the 3d workflow is that it has a lot of steps to create either a cool render or a good asset, and sculpting is only one of those.

Basically, you want a "main" software that you'll use for most of the work, and some specific steps would be done in other, more specialized softwares (like Zbrush).

Examples of what I call "main", or generalist 3D softwares are Blender, Maya and 3dsMax. There are probably others but these are the most common ones (and best according to my knowledge).

You can use a generalist 3D software for everything from modelling the basis of the character to animating and exporting, and most of them even have sculpting tools but if you want to aim for realistic of very detailled, Zbrush is a good choice.
(of course once you made your model with millions of polygons in it you want to do a retopology in the generalist software or using Zbrush tools, then bake maps like normals to have the details on a lighter version of the model).

As for which software I'd recommand, I can't speak for the three I've mentionned above, but I know Maya and Blender fairly well I think.

They both are pretty powerfull really, and they have their own pros and cons, for example Maya has everything in menus so when you don't know the shortcuts it's more beginner friendly.
But it's not free, and the student license only lasts a year so you'll want to look into getting it the unofficial way.

Blender, on the other hand has more of a learning curve. The shortcuts are very important so the start is a bit rough, but once you get to know them you'll increase your working speed a lot.
It's the one I use these days so I'd recommand it for a bunch of reasons. One of them is how much it keeps improving. They just keep adding new stuff and improving so much and so fast, it's already full of great features and it keeps on going.
Also some of the features make the workflow more flexible and less of a headacke. You can correct mistakes you made early on without redoing everything.
One of those features is the "action editor" which allows in the software to create the animations on different "files" which works in the export to game engines. Sounds simple but it makes life a lot simpler when working on video games animations.
It's open source, too, so the community is very active and there's a bunch of very usefull addons out there.
Another good thing about the active community is how easy it is to find information on Blender. If you want to learn something, chances are you'll find it on youtube or one of the dedicated forums.

Well that's what I think anyway. The other two softwares (Maya and 3dsMax) are also very powerfull but I feel like comparing them is pretty hard, so it kind of comes down to personnal liking in the end.

Does it answer your question ? I may have overexplained things but I don't know what you know about 3d and all that so better be safe.
Thank you for your answer. I was thinking about blender cuz I know this tool from my university years. We even created games with physics. Maybe this is a time to come back.

Reactions: BrainWaves

Aromabish

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2017

Where can I find free rigged models? For sure I'll need default human models and others.

BrainWaves

May 6, 2020
Where can I find free rigged models? For sure I'll need default human models and others.
Well as someone who is trying to specialize in rigging I'd say you can make rigs from scratch, it's not too hard.
But if you want to have a great basis for humans I'd recommand you go in preferences, addon and activate "rigify" addon (is in Blender by default but desactivated). It gives you a full human rig that's pretty great.
Places like Blender swap should have base models I think ?

If you want to learn to make humans, there a bunch of great tutorials, the channel of Blender Guru, DanPro and Royal Skies LLC are great starts ! Also search for the playlist "modelling for animation", great tips for modelling humans with good deformations.

I'm not really used to searching for assets, so apart from Blender Swap, I'd say the unity assez store looks pretty good. Also there's this thread

Reactions: Madmanator99