Need some help ; corrupted external hard drive

YaBoiDeath

Sep 20, 2021
I am currently dealing with a corrupted hard drive, and have no idea how to fix or extract the data from it. And this is where all of my games from here and hentai I've collected is stored. Does anyone here have any suggestions or tips they know that will fix the hard drive?

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Happened to me before, that's why i stopped stashing all of my stuff on just one external. I spread it equally between several now.

There are basically 2 options:
1. Seek professional help at the cost of money and privacy.
2. Destroy it completely and throw it away.

Then buy several new externals and spread your stuff between them like i do.
Then if you lose your stuff again in the future, you won't lose all of it.

Externals tend to be unreliable so it's important who makes them.
If it's some company you never heard of, don't buy their externals.
I am using Toshiba-made externals now, been having 0 troubles with those for many years now. :whistle::coffee:

Last edited:

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
First thing to do is try to run chkdsk. Years ago I had some issues with an external that were related to a bad connection or cable (edit: well, maybe first thing is to check connections and replace cables lol). IIRC even after replacing the cable I still had issues, but chkdsk was able to fix things and most of the data was intact.

More recently I had some intermittent issues with an internal drive. Turned out to be a few bad sectors, which can often mean the disk is dying. But with a chkdsk run and SMART test to re-allocate the bad sectors I haven't had any further issues with it.

Last edited:

YaBoiDeath

Sep 20, 2021
First thing to do is try to run chkdsk. Years ago I had some issues with an external that were related to a bad connection or cable (edit: well, maybe first thing is to check connections and replace cables lol). IIRC even after replacing the cable I still had issues, but chkdsk was able to fix things and most of the data was intact.

More recently I had some intermittent issues with an internal drive. Turned out to be a few bad sectors, which can often mean the disk is dying. But with a chkdsk run and SMART test to re-allocate the bad sectors I haven't had any further issues with it.
Can you go through the steps for that? I tried doing commands on my end, but after I pressed enter I was unable to type anything else

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Can you go through the steps for that? I tried doing commands on my end, but after I pressed enter I was unable to type anything else
Don't remember exactly what I did for the external drive issue, that was over 10y ago. For the recent issue I think I used the /X and /B switches
Code:
chkdsk <drive letter>: /X /B
because I expected bad sectors were the problem. It sounds like your issue is more than a few bad sectors though, so /F may be enough:
Code:
chkdsk <drive letter>: /F
Or use /X which takes the drive offline so you can't access it until chkdsk finishes. Not necessary but good practice IMO. If you use that you don't need the /F because it's 'implied':
Code:
chkdsk <drive letter>: /X
In any case on a large disk it can take a while and you have to wait for it to finish before you try to type anything again.

KriticalBow

Nov 18, 2019
I can't help you with such info you've gave, but you should def try "Hetman Partition Recovery"
It's a very powerful prog that could (and should) help you to:
1. repair the hard drive
2. save mostly all the files even if hard drive is dead