Need some onpinions on some character renders

Aug 6, 2016
Hi Guys, would you guys be so kind to give me some of your opinions on my characters. I would like to see what you guys think of them and please comment which one is your favourite and why. I would like to choose a mc female protag model for my game. iomenasddfsd.png iomenasd.png ewsrfsdfve.png asdcaczx cwewsef.png sdcxcdfsdfsef.png aszdcfaszefdsaedfc.png wqedasdqwd.png dxcfvxcdvxv.png dxcfvxcdvxvqwedasdasddsrfgvsdfxcfvsdfc.png

Reactions: Kay45

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Stylized character shape - tends to make 3D art very decisive.

I find that for stylized characters, they work best when used on a smaller scale (full body, smaller image), because the stylized body can help with readability (when compared to normal human proportions), however, the more intimate you try to make a stylized character (by making them 3D or making close up or large images) the more the uncanny effect starts to kick in. For me, I like style. Sure, different people have different preferences and different styles, and it can be challenging to judge art because of a difference in preferred style. So I won't comment to much on your style since I assume it is what ever you like, and that's more important than what I like.

If I had to pick any, I would pick image #6, and here's why:

1 and 2 look to be the same character in two different poses, it looks like this character is the closest do being 'normal' but still with a hint of your 'style'

3 and 4, as well as 8 and 9 look to be the same character in two different poses, with your style being most aggressive or more dominant in the character's design (I am judging this based the more extreme waist to hip ratio.

I'm not sure if 5 6 and 7 are all the same character due to the hair change

Now, comparing 6 to 4, 6 does look like to still be heavily influenced by your style, and I can't really tell if they are the same body type or not. However, 6 does look a bit different to me, and the main difference I see is due to the hip curvature. Rather than the aggressive hip to waist ratio of 4, it seems 6 starts of a bit more gently by starting higher up, and the hip to waist ratio isn't as extreme because the maximum the hip curve goes out is at a lower point that is more along the thigh area, while with image 4 the maiximum happened pretty quick at the mid to upper hip area.

Now why do I point out these features and what do they signify? For me, with my art, I am so desensitized I can't tell what looks good or bad anymore, I can't judge my own artwork. However, I do like exploring toon and stylized character designs, and i'm trying to get better at still good looking but not obviously cartoony designs as well. I focus mostly on 2D, but I have a hybrid workflow of both 2D and 3D. recently, trying to get away from something too toony, I've been working on my ratios. I have found for a lot of art pieces I like, which look more realistic and less cartoony, having the hips start a bit higher up, but then gradually come out and maximize at the thigh area tends to be a pattern I see with more realistic art styles, and there are lost of artist that combine this with an exaggerated stylized design to get the best of both worlds. The reason I pick 6 isn't because I think it looks best or its more realistic without loosing your style, I picked it because you are doing 3D renders, and if you do lean more realistic (thicker waist, less agressive hip to waist ratio, more gradual hip curvature) the better you can avoid the uncanny effect of stylized 3D characters, so I think 6 may work best for you, however, as I said, I can't really confirm if 6 is all that different from 6.

Details like the arms, shoulders, I really like the style, I also like the more lean cold agressive style of the face of 4 and 6 that make the character seem more like a comic book hero or model, where as 1 and 2 it's a bit too much like a real persons face. where as the body looks a bit better more realistic, the face looks better more stylized I think, because it seems like 1 and 2 it starts to fall into the eerily familiar territory, but 4 and 6 both look good while also not looking like anyone specific, so I think it works great.

Reactions: Deleted member 487
Aug 6, 2016
Stylized character shape - tends to make 3D art very decisive.

I find that for stylized characters, they work best when used on a smaller scale (full body, smaller image), because the stylized body can help with readability (when compared to normal human proportions), however, the more intimate you try to make a stylized character (by making them 3D or making close up or large images) the more the uncanny effect starts to kick in. For me, I like style. Sure, different people have different preferences and different styles, and it can be challenging to judge art because of a difference in preferred style. So I won't comment to much on your style since I assume it is what ever you like, and that's more important than what I like.

If I had to pick any, I would pick image #6, and here's why:

1 and 2 look to be the same character in two different poses, it looks like this character is the closest do being 'normal' but still with a hint of your 'style'

3 and 4, as well as 8 and 9 look to be the same character in two different poses, with your style being most aggressive or more dominant in the character's design (I am judging this based the more extreme waist to hip ratio.

I'm not sure if 5 6 and 7 are all the same character due to the hair change

Now, comparing 6 to 4, 6 does look like to still be heavily influenced by your style, and I can't really tell if they are the same body type or not. However, 6 does look a bit different to me, and the main difference I see is due to the hip curvature. Rather than the aggressive hip to waist ratio of 4, it seems 6 starts of a bit more gently by starting higher up, and the hip to waist ratio isn't as extreme because the maximum the hip curve goes out is at a lower point that is more along the thigh area, while with image 4 the maiximum happened pretty quick at the mid to upper hip area.

Now why do I point out these features and what do they signify? For me, with my art, I am so desensitized I can't tell what looks good or bad anymore, I can't judge my own artwork. However, I do like exploring toon and stylized character designs, and i'm trying to get better at still good looking but not obviously cartoony designs as well. I focus mostly on 2D, but I have a hybrid workflow of both 2D and 3D. recently, trying to get away from something too toony, I've been working on my ratios. I have found for a lot of art pieces I like, which look more realistic and less cartoony, having the hips start a bit higher up, but then gradually come out and maximize at the thigh area tends to be a pattern I see with more realistic art styles, and there are lost of artist that combine this with an exaggerated stylized design to get the best of both worlds. The reason I pick 6 isn't because I think it looks best or its more realistic without loosing your style, I picked it because you are doing 3D renders, and if you do lean more realistic (thicker waist, less agressive hip to waist ratio, more gradual hip curvature) the better you can avoid the uncanny effect of stylized 3D characters, so I think 6 may work best for you, however, as I said, I can't really confirm if 6 is all that different from 6.

Details like the arms, shoulders, I really like the style, I also like the more lean cold agressive style of the face of 4 and 6 that make the character seem more like a comic book hero or model, where as 1 and 2 it's a bit too much like a real persons face. where as the body looks a bit better more realistic, the face looks better more stylized I think, because it seems like 1 and 2 it starts to fall into the eerily familiar territory, but 4 and 6 both look good while also not looking like anyone specific, so I think it works great.
Thank you for the good analysis.