Need some PC help please.

krakr

Resident Drunk
Donor
Jun 25, 2017
Look, I'm a retired IT guy, so I usually have an answer, but I just re-built my PC yesterday & ran into all kind of issues revolving mostly around my USB host controllers.

Full disclosure on new rig:

CPU: Intel core i7 8700K
MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus Hero X (Wi-Fi AC) (wifi disabled)
16gb RAM
Vid: Gigabyte Radeon RX 570
updated all driver's/Bios thru Asus EZ update & Win update

Now I know win 7 doesn't like my CPU, been through that all last night & used WUFUC to bypass that shit, but the actual problem I'm having is that 2 of my USB host controllers are installed fine & shit, but 1 isn't. I assume it's a 3.0 since the 3.1's are fine. Long story short, my mouse is only half working. I'm using a Logitech Trackman (i have the wired & wireless & both have same symptoms). Scroll wheel is disabled EXCEPT if you press it rather than roll it, you can scroll with mouse movement. Thank satan I got the keyboard working right, had odd behavior where the caps lock would turn itself on & num lock would do same.
Device mgr shows 1 USB host controller screwed & 1 network controller screwed (I'm assuming the wi-fi disabled in BIOS) Bios shows all USB active, but have to use "emulation" for win 7 to see devices. As you can imagine, I'm loath to go win 10 route. Not a fan of M$ despite making a career out of fixing that turd sandwich. May just go Linux since I've barely begun re-installing my essential software, but I like my DX dependant games too.

I realize this is no world ending crisis, but having my mouse behave as though it's the 90's is frustrating. Any help would be appreciated, and even if there is no help to be found here, at least I can copy/paste this post somewhere else, like the ROG forums & shit. Just amazing how tech support has turned into a steaming pile of shit over the last 20 years.

Thanks in advance for any incite.

Krakr

Symbolsz

Mar 21, 2017
Could it not just be a problem with the mousewheel not being registered by the mouse itself? Currently have that with my Ultralight Finalmouse and sent that back to get a replacement.

meinarmy

May 31, 2018
Hmm, I used to have some weird problem with my mouse that was caused by different drivers somehow getting installed over it, could just need a driver wipe and reinstall. Or even being put in a different port

Quina

Sep 1, 2018
i guess you already did cross testing hardware for driver compatibility?

Somehow it looks to me you want to forcefully achieve sth that you already know is likely to not work... because you already need to add a layer of modification to make it "somehow" work.

You don't want to hear my story about a powervr v3 graphics card to work with any~ linux getting the gpu to render basic stuff like the gui...

krakr

Resident Drunk
Donor
Jun 25, 2017
thx for your input ppl. I'm starting to narrow this down a bit. Device mgr shows no "HID compliant devices" and only drivers I can get to work for kb/mouse are standard MS generic crap. Still no USB 3.0 or lower drivers released which is most likely my issue, I tried using Intel 3.0's & everything stopped responding. As for mice, I've swapped out already receiving identical results. Put a trouble ticket in with the manufacturer, so I'll see how that goes. Otherwise shit works incredibly well. The win 7 spam "your hardware is unsupported" shit still is in the back of my head as well. I wouldn't put it passed them to have locked out driver recognition for USB devices, but I'm pretty sure that's just my hate of MS nagging at me.

krakr

Resident Drunk
Donor
Jun 25, 2017
OK case closed.

Once win 7 gets to a certain set of updates that have the kill switch implemented, it stops searching for driver updates. Since ASUS fucked up & left out the USB drivers, I was shit out of luck.

Shelled out for a year license of Avast Driver update & *poof* 10 minutes later all my shit works.
HID compliant devices are there now. The missing USB controller was indeed the 3.0 drivers.
Bonus, I got drivers for my Samsung SSD.

After 20 years of having a mouse wheel, it's odd to NOT have one. perfomance is increased 100% & the actual device by name is in device mgr. And doing a device by device chase by chipset would have taken forever. Software just read the device specs straight from the devices & that was it. At least it's all documented here if anyone has a similar issue.

Reactions: wx448