Ren'Py Neon Skies [Development Thread]

illoph

Mar 6, 2020
Hello, I'm Illoph. some time lurker, first time poster.
I'm mainly a 2d artist that is also interested to start dabbling in a bit of game development. My experience with coding is pretty limited, have some css/html knowledge and some rudimentary data management/analysis skills in R. I'm making the Dev thread here as to have a place to formulate my thoughts in some sort of log and to make the project real in a sense so I don't procrastinate too much for the time I set aside doing this.

The Pitch:
The elevator pitch for my upcoming project is to make a cyberpunk themed sandbox game. (Cyberpunk as in the genre, not especially the game from CDPR).

I know a sandbox game will be way more work if my game would be story driven, so instead the game will be a player driven interaction game, limited "story", with the game driven by player-lead interaction. My explanation is probably a bit stilted as it is hard for me to formulate it (2nd language and all that), but think more like Rogue Like, which has quite a limited story, but the mechanics with the girls and doing simple chores creates the player interaction, compared to a more VN-like approach where the story drives player choice. Also making a game where writing is not in the forefront seems to me to be quite economical with my skillset as visuals will be most of the appeal. After looking around there seems to be hundreds upon hundreds of VN games in development, while there's maybe a handful of player driven sandbox games comparatively.

The start of the development I will be creating the concept art, finding an appealing style that works well , is easy enough to reproduce in good quality in a good timely manner, and is animation friendly. Then make the assets based on the concepts and cobble it together to a game. Hopefully I can simplify the process to a point where I can manage to do it. Easy right?

Concepting locations/BGs/world building:
Paintstorm_m36YadJaLr.png Paintstorm_kO1f8DPJC7.png Paintstorm_4cG3tPK7J5.png

Character Design Concepts:
Paintstorm_qwHMb3p8bv.png Paintstorm_AQmlJ1ExNx.png
1615998581759.png Paintstorm_MomFr8JC1O.png

Tags:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I will try to update this at least weekly if not more, with progress notes, art dumps and hopefully test builds when the time comes.