New and looking for advice on hardware

SchaakaKon

Nov 29, 2017
I really need to upgrade my gpu, I've been reading through a ton of forums posts here about it.
I have a couple of questions if anyone wants to reassure me or add advice:
I think for my level a sub 300$ video card is the way to go (if i have to spend more, then so be it). Taking from the advice's given here and a hierarchy list i saw online a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 TI with 11gb of ram seems like the solid choice. For what ive gathered the cuda cores and gpu ram are the important parts. The 2080 seems like a better choice but the pricing i see online is around 750 or so whereas i see a lot of 1080s at below 300. Is there that much of a difference in performance? For context I do game a lot but I hardly ever play graphic intensive games, the gpu would be mostly for rendering.
Is buying a used card really bad or is it ok?
What websites do you guys buy from? I havnt bought pc parts in ages and the last time i went to newegg. I see that ebay has the cards cheap, but i have to wait on the bids.

Any advice is always helpful, thanks!

DbatRT

Apr 8, 2018
The 20 series is not relevant in light of the release of the 30 series, especially if we are talking about the price, you can see how the RTX 3070 sent to the dustbin of history the entire RTX 20 line, including the 2080 Ti, and all this at the recommended price of $ 500. You need to choose between 10 series or 30 series based on the tasks.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Damn, 1080ti at 300, I would totally go for it... if you nee it now. but I'd also wait for the 30 hundred series, prices will continue to drop as those come out, you could probably go for a 20 series (maybe 12% gains I think in render), something like a 3070 may actually be what you need.

I have a 1080ti and it is pretty nice. When I got it 2 or more years ago, it cost 4x more back then, but the jump to the 20 series was never worth it.

DbatRT

Apr 8, 2018
There are so many reasons for this, and it doesn't matter.
You need to learn the new 30 series, it has a lot of delicious new technologies that may or may not be useful to you as a player, Creator, programmer.
The situation is not completely clear to us, what is your urgency, financial situation, do you play with neural networks, what calculations do you make, 3D, Video? That's why there are so many criteria, you better judge.

Also, if you decide to take the 20 series, then wait until the prices do not collapse even more, after the start of sales of the 30 series. Current owners of the 20 series are actively getting rid of these cards, but their prices are still not low enough, while they hope to recapture at least some part of their investments, hoping for people who do not know about the 30 series, but after the start of sales, their prices will collapse even more.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Why is the 2080 so expensive when the newer 30## are not?

stores don't change as fast as ebay, the stores will change once the 30 hundred series is out. idk when (was it late September? the 17 or am i crazy? to lazy to do a quick google search.)