New Developer Here Just asking A question

Synergy

Aug 7, 2016
Whats better the more cartoon look to the game or more real look to it?
A comparison the Milfy city the games made by icstor or the summer time saga game?
Just wondering what this community enjoys looking at, and i get its personal preference.
Wondering if i need to draw the characters by hand straight up and scan it and photoshop it with other scenes. or design it on my computer
Because this game is gonna take a couple more months to do until its 0.01 release, planning to have it have just over an hour of content first release but before i start working on it kinda wanna know thats all boys and girls lmao
this is legit the only thing i need to do
story done all the way, good story tho parody of a lil show that ppl watch ;)
the coding is ready for the juicy art
and boom first release so thank you for reading and hope someone replies with answer to it <3

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
I really adore 2D art when it looks good. I also greatly appreciate the freedom it gives the creator.

That said, I'm unlikely to play any 2D game without a considerable recommendation.

I'm a visual person, I want there to be as much "in scene" as possible. 2D games all, at least as far as I've played, choose to either go with stills that don't change at all for a page's worth of dialogue or sprites that show changes in expressions for the people supposedly in scene.

Even with 3D games, I only play if the art is all rendered in scene or I've been given a reason to overlook that it isn't. The thing with this is, 2D art takes a lot of time, and even if you manage to make it easier on yourself with as many different interactive poses as you can create to layer over preset backgrounds which you have from multiple angles, you'd be looking at many months of hard work just to get all the art for a release done.

It's not impossible, comic artists are able to do this, but it's a full time job and they do have a lot of shortcuts. So, unless you're really confident in your art skill and could guarantee that, I'd be the type to just immediately overlook your game.

Synergy

Aug 7, 2016
jesus
I really adore 2D art when it looks good. I also greatly appreciate the freedom it gives the creator.

That said, I'm unlikely to play any 2D game without a considerable recommendation.

I'm a visual person, I want there to be as much "in scene" as possible. 2D games all, at least as far as I've played, choose to either go with stills that don't change at all for a page's worth of dialogue or sprites that show changes in expressions for the people supposedly in scene.

Even with 3D games, I only play if the art is all rendered in scene or I've been given a reason to overlook that it isn't. The thing with this is, 2D art takes a lot of time, and even if you manage to make it easier on yourself with as many different interactive poses as you can create to layer over preset backgrounds which you have from multiple angles, you'd be looking at many months of hard work just to get all the art for a release done.

It's not impossible, comic artists are able to do this, but it's a full time job and they do have a lot of shortcuts. So, unless you're really confident in your art skill and could guarantee that, I'd be the type to just immediately overlook your game.
i didnt expect this level of feedback for this thank you for explaining it in detail seriously thanks for that <3 im just on the fence on doing it 2d or 3d, 3d opens up a whole lot more that gives my story meaning i guess i should say than 2d yet 2d has that more cartoon look to make it a nice lil playable comic while 3d has more of a real life look, i guess i need to have week to think before or test a scene with 2d and 3d, while getting feedback from people like you <3 have a good night bro

Reactions: DarthSeduction

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
3D doesn't have to be too realistic. Take a look at Offcuts. It's one of the few sprite based 3D projects I really enjoy, but they gave it a very cartoony aesthetic. You could absolutely do something like that, though it will take a little work to get there.

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Do the art style that you're comfortable with and that YOU enjoy. As long as your art is of high quality, there will be plenty of people who play your game. Most people who play Summertime Saga also play Milfy City.

It's important you do what you enjoy, rather than what you think people will like. For the next 1-3 years you will spend countless hours a day creating art for your game. Make sure you're enjoying this process or at the very least not completely resenting it.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
There is no room for small new projects based on personal skill. There are animes all around, on TV no less, they look stunning and never go near comics value, but look real. Tri g un is fantastic, being old anime ... Bl ea ch is newer, still stunning, mostly bland, black and white and gold - they look astounding. That said, M ass eff e ct is a whole different beast, layers upon layers of visual mastery. A ss as sin cr ee d games are also a good example of fantastic layered visual effects you could implement. I see no mid way after such great succe sses - either sculptor, michel angelic sculpting skills for drawn - crisp, bold, yummy corporeal lines - or just code in un re al or un i ti and stick d az renders to stockpile on cheap thrills. I can even understand modding a sk y rim base game and using those mods as inspiration - a lot of v logs use recordings from modded games and make great impact. Good Luck to you out there, but for 2018 after those fantastic animes and games, you should respect yourself enough to aim for the stars!

Last edited:
Reactions: Synergy

kimoo

Jun 6, 2017
personally ...
i prefer 3D render because i want the game to be realistic

one of the things that made me hate 2D games that all of the 2D games based on text more than images .. just like Japanese games one image every 5 minute

so i stick with 3D render i like it really much more :giggle:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Whats better the more cartoon look to the game or more real look to it?
The story...
and, no, I don't answered outside of the question.

It's the story and its tone that define what you'll use as CG. A game like would have less success if the CG weren't 2D. It give a childish look at the game that is needed by the story and its writing. It's not a game to take too much seriously, but still it's not a parody. Same for , that need its high quality 3D CG. @HopesGaming would have used anything else as CG, that his game wouldn't be this great. Here, the CG act as counter part of the perkiness of its dialogs, putting the serious touch needed by the solemnity of the story.
In some way, the same can be said of the Mysterful's games. They were a success because of the models he used, which provide the "parody" side needed by what are lame stories ; the combination of the two making his games enjoyable to play.
At the opposite, a game like have CG with too much quality for the writing. The game could have been better, perhaps being perceived as a parody, if the badly wrote mother evolved in less real life looking CG. But the CG being great, you expect the same serious in the writing and/or the story, and the flaws of the character writing become more than visible.

What is probably the best example of the importance of the CG according to the story is . The writing isn't really good, but the game reached a higher step when the author restarted it with quality 2D CG instead of his previous childish 3D ones. The original game was more perceived like a parody than anything else. And now, despite the flaws of the writing, the game carry some seriousness that are more in touch with the darkness of the story.

Reactions: HiEv