New ends per update or plotlines that develop slowly through updates?

pogse

Feb 17, 2020
I am a little interested in making my own game and I was wondering how other people feel about this,

I have come across two kind of games largely:

- Ones that introduce end states , plot lines that start and finish in a single update. These tend to be shorter and the events move quite fast. (Games like Giggle Night: Trixies Trial)

- Ones that may have multiple end states but they are slowly developed with each game update and usually don't come to their conclusions until the end of the larger game. (Games like Autumn Boulevard, Star Knightess Aura)

Would be great to hear peoples thoughts? :)

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Since I prefer long corruption arcs, gameplay and regular updates at least monthly, the episodic format seems like the only viable option, though it's not ideal to actively follow with each update. You get blueballed early in development and burnt out later.

pogse

Feb 17, 2020
Since I prefer long corruption arcs, gameplay and regular updates at least monthly, the episodic format seems like the only viable option, though it's not ideal to actively follow with each update. You get blueballed early in development and burnt out later.
Same with me then. I like the long slow transformatios, but I get burned out easily or in some cases when the climax finally comes out it isn’t how I wanted:cry:

obibobi

May 10, 2017
If you're a good writer, as in your writing can hold attention without sex scenes as a lure, then long development can work.

But in most cases you do both, you have the main girl or girls, the one's you play the long game with for the slow tease and then you have the more outgoing girl that is much quicker to do sexual things.

Also try to avoid formulaic sex game progression, that is not teasing, that's robotic.

HarveyD

Oct 15, 2017
I think the most important thing is interesting and well structured updates.

If you're game is short then yeah short updates are fine. Maybe you do one route to the end and then go back to add in a few more that either branch off earlier on or later. But no one route is longer than the others.

If you have more of a story to tell then you're going to need updates that build off of each other. Preferably these should be structered well so that each one can be enjoyed on it's own.

There are good games in both groups, but I think it's important to work to a scale that suits you as a developer, especially if it's you're first game.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
nobody has updates big enough to finish plots in one go. not even when they take 1+ years between updates. it's not a realistic goal.

whizwart

Apr 11, 2022
I think its a good idea to ask yourself which you feel you're more capable with. Different writing styles are needed, and it may be easier to develop yours if your worried about how longer arcs will go.

Last edited:

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
You do you and what works best for your endeavors and vision. Someone will always think you're doing it wrong. Someone will always think you're doing it right. You can't win either way you attempt it, so you just gotta be true to you and don't let the screws get you down. Creating by committee will (almost?) always drag you under.