3D-Daz New Game: Character Art

chasni

Jun 2, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I have been an avid reader and user of this forum for a few years. I have always been excited to see the gorgeous renders in different games posted here and dreamed of making my own.

Recently, I have been able to take my time out and have started learning Daz Studio. I have created a new character from scratch (with some inspiration of course). Below are the few renders which I have created and I am looking for your inputs, in terms of lighting, design, posing and camera angle.

The main idea is to create a game. It will be a coming-of-age story with more emphasis on plot than H-scenes. There will be H-scenes wherever relevant.

Any feedback from the veterans and experienced users of this forum will be highly appreciated.

Art 3.jpg

Art 1.jpg Art 2.jpg Art 4.jpg

Last edited:

QuietLion1973

Oct 18, 2019
She looks fantastic. If she was real I'd be all over that.

I like the first 3 best, but that might just be because the freckles are more obvious in that lighting.

One tip:
When you're posing, don't be afraid to move the eyes side-side or up-down. Makes it look more alive. (Example, if she needs to look at something, turn the head part or most, but then turn the eyes the rest of the way.) She could be looking straight into the camera for a couple of these, and they would be way hotter.

slider

Jul 14, 2017
You are off to a good start! It's refreshing to see a realistic middle aged woman; I specially like her skin.

As for criticism:

Aside from the frontal stare, something else in the eyes looks a little odd to me. I'd try playing with the reflection settings and color.

While it's hard to judge from these angles, I think she has a narrow jaw and receding chin. It's not unrealistic, but she'd be more attractive otherwise. The head might be somewhat little too.

The upper and lower part of her face are not quite harmonious. If I hide with a finger the part of her face above her cheekbones and try to imagine the rest and afterwards I do the opposite (hide what's below them), she looks like two different people in my mind.

I like her skin, but in order to make it look even more realistic I'd add some light stretch marks and cellulite in her butt and some darker coloration or even stubble in her armpits.

QuietLion1973

Oct 18, 2019
I would actually disagree with a lot of that. She looks great, and those little "imperfections" will make her stand out among all the other games. She'll be more memorable. for example: Dee, from DMD, is much shorter than most characters, and she is uniquely identifiable with that game.
Your character's look actually reminds me of a couple women I know, and that adds to it for me personally.

But, here's another tip that might help you with a faster workflow:
If you're creating a sequence of renders all in one location, with the same set, characters, and wardrobe, you can use the timeline in Daz to have multiple poses/shots in the same file. I've been doing that with a small sequence I'm playing with. I pose them for one shot, then move a couple frames on the timeline, reset and re-pose them for the next shot. And so on.
If you need more frames for more shots, just change the "Total" value at the far left.
That way, if you decide you want to change somebody's hair, for example, you just change it at the start and it will be there for every shot. You might have to adjust for it, but the poses should all be preserved. You go to each pose frame and render it.
Extra tip: In "frame 0" leave all the characters in their base pose. Makes it easier to add or remove clothing, such as wedding rings or piercings.

chasni

Jun 2, 2018
QuietLion1973 Thanks for the appreciation and tips. I believe these will be very helpful in long term.

slider Thanks for the criticism. I agree that there is a scope for improvement in her eyes. Re the face, I was trying to create a face that is attractive and reminds you of someone you know, may a good looking neighbor or a friend or a school teacher from your high school. When I was creating her, I was thinking about my school teacher. She had a different face but the skin and freckles were very similar.

I have a couple of question:
  • Wet Skin: I have used the skin doctor utulity for the 4th render but the results don't look good. Any suggestion to improve it.
  • Transparent cloth: I want to create a render where I can make normal (not bikini) clothes look a bit transparent. Something like when someone is sweat, you can see their undergarments

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
They look quit nice. For the first character I think the proportions are a bit off. The arms feel to small compared to the rest of the body qua mass (she has skinny arms while the rest is a bit more voluptuous), especially in the last picture. And her head looks wierdly small in the last picture. I dont know what you did in the last picture but she scares me lol. Her whole backbody looks wierd.

As for the eyes they feel more like glass eyes then real eyes. Something is missing but I can't put my hand on it.

Your second character looks better. I would say the grey hair feels a bit wierd on her, as the rest of her seems still quite young (not much wrinkles going on in the face for example). You could go for a more silverish tone if you want it to be dyed to silver and/or some outgrow at the base. Or try to age the skins character a bit.

VDM_Games

Sep 2, 2020
Love the renders, they look great, the main improvement I would recommend would be the eyes, in a lot of the renders the eyes look blank and dead, I think it may be a light thing, try to get a spot light to reflect in the eyes more and give the character something to look at (it doesn't have to be real just give them something to point at off screen or at the camera) that usual helps make the eyes look more alive