New Gens Victori 8 issues

lydcreations

Game Developer
May 6, 2019
I'm trying to use New Gens for Victoria 8 but I keep having issues with the layer and the color. I'm using the New_Gens_For_Victoria_8_-_20190308 version which I believe is the latest. I'm also using Daz 4.15. The character is a G8 female so it should work. I'd appreciate your help in figuring out how to correct this.

gen.png

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Last time I tried 4.15 I had the same issue, went back to 4.14. I have not looked for an update of the gens yet.

Reactions: lydcreations

lydcreations

Game Developer
May 6, 2019
Don't have that issue but from the look of it, it seems you have geometry editor or mesh grabber selected.
As you suggested, I had been working with mesh grabber prior to trying out new gens for a test render. I had no idea that having it selected would create this issue. Thanks.

On the topic of mesh grabber, I've tried it on an oversized sweater and to adjust a dress. After making the adjustments, I've discovered that the characters body has been distorted in the process. Is there something I need to be doing differently in order to have mesh grabber only adjust the clothing and not the character?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
On the topic of mesh grabber, I've tried it on an oversized sweater and to adjust a dress. After making the adjustments, I've discovered that the characters body has been distorted in the process. Is there something I need to be doing differently in order to have mesh grabber only adjust the clothing and not the character?
The tricky part is making sure exactly what surface is selected, and making sure that all other surfaces aren't. That's always been a challenge with some of Daz's weight painting stuff - you try to select an area on the belly, and the corresponding area on the back always gets selected.

Worst come to worst, once you've finished, you could re-apply the character to the underlying character, which should undo any changes made to it.

lydcreations

Game Developer
May 6, 2019
The tricky part is making sure exactly what surface is selected, and making sure that all other surfaces aren't. That's always been a challenge with some of Daz's weight painting stuff - you try to select an area on the belly, and the corresponding area on the back always gets selected.

Worst come to worst, once you've finished, you could re-apply the character to the underlying character, which should undo any changes made to it.
Thanks for the reply. I click on say the sweater and mesh grabber does adjust the sweater. It's only when I removed the sweater that I saw that the models arm was bent out of shape. Sounds like it may be a matter of practice. And, like you say, I could reload the character if it happens again. I tried to reapply the character, but it remained out of shape.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I tried to reapply the character, but it remained out of shape.
I probably should have been more specific - I should have said "re-apply the character morph". Obviously, just re-applying the materials won't help. What I had in mind was that if you have a character selected in the scene and then double-click on the character in the content, it asks (or used to) whether you want to apply the double-clicked-on-character to the selected-in-scene-character, or create a new one. But, of course, this doesn't do a speck of good if you've customized your character. So, yeah, "reload" is probably the better route...

Le Pew

Game Developer
Dec 22, 2018
Thanks for the reply. I click on say the sweater and mesh grabber does adjust the sweater. It's only when I removed the sweater that I saw that the models arm was bent out of shape. Sounds like it may be a matter of practice. And, like you say, I could reload the character if it happens again. I tried to reapply the character, but it remained out of shape.
Hi,

The surface selection is sometimes tricky with mesh grabber, but there is an easy fix. Hide the object for which you actually want to modify the surface, and using the surface selection tool, select the surface of the model that was distorted. The activate the meshgrabber tool and display the tool settings pane. You should see a "reset" button on it. If it is not active, then there was no modification done on that surface and you may need to find another surface to fix. If it is active, just click on it and validate the confirmation dialog.
You can show your other object/prop again.

My workflow with Mesh Grabber is this: always have the scene AND surface editor panes active while using it. If either of the active item changes in either pane while i'm working with mesh grabber, I go back to the surface selection tool and reselect the surface to modify, and back to mesh grabber.

lydcreations

Game Developer
May 6, 2019
Hi,

The surface selection is sometimes tricky with mesh grabber, but there is an easy fix. Hide the object for which you actually want to modify the surface, and using the surface selection tool, select the surface of the model that was distorted. The activate the meshgrabber tool and display the tool settings pane. You should see a "reset" button on it. If it is not active, then there was no modification done on that surface and you may need to find another surface to fix. If it is active, just click on it and validate the confirmation dialog.
You can show your other object/prop again.

My workflow with Mesh Grabber is this: always have the scene AND surface editor panes active while using it. If either of the active item changes in either pane while i'm working with mesh grabber, I go back to the surface selection tool and reselect the surface to modify, and back to mesh grabber.
Thanks for the suggestions. It was only recently that I got mesh grabber to work as I couldn't get it to work in Daz 4.10. The videos I could find for mesh grabber didn't use a person, but I figured I was probably missing something.