New Laptop with graphics card

DonStark

May 4, 2017
Hi everyone, i have a little question for you ... My laptop recently died so i must buy a new one, so why not try DAZ3D finally

My question is simple, I buy one with a Nvidia GTX1060 6GB right now or i'm waiting 1 more week for one with a RTX2060 6Gb ??? I ask this question because i don't know if everything is correctly upgrade for Daz3D and also because there is a little difference in the price xD ( but i can afford one with a RTX2060 but if i can win some money nobody say no LoL )

Edit : I want a laptop because i can't place a desktop for the moment and also because i need a laptop ... I'm a newbie in daz3d so i want something wich allows me to discover daz3d, test daz3d and of course for maybe start a game if i can finally do some renders ( i already have an story but everything was on hold because i cannot do renders with my last laptop )

Thanks for your help guys

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
While i agree that Daz on a laptop is a bad idea these GPU's are about right. I've been using a GTX1060 for a while now, it's not as fast as i'd like but it does the job, good for dipping your toe into the Daz pool IMO, RTX doesn't give any benefit since real time ray tracing currently isn't supported as far as i remember, however the extra Cuda cores are always welcome, just don't expect an exponential leap due to RTX kicking in.

If you can, use a desktop, the extra ram is a big deal,8GB isn't enough, 16 will often be exceeded too, i use 24 and occasionally cut it close, a pro dev would want 32+, on top of that a good Nvidia GPU with plenty of Vram is the way to go, it's the reason i went for a GTX 1060 6GB rather than the 4GB and it's been well worth it.

Reactions: Naidrang

DonStark

May 4, 2017
While i agree that Daz on a laptop is a bad idea these GPU's are about right. I've been using a GTX1060 for a while now, it's not as fast as i'd like but it does the job, good for dipping your toe into the Daz pool IMO, RTX doesn't give any benefit since real time ray tracing currently isn't supported as far as i remember, however the extra Cuda cores are always welcome, just don't expect an exponential leap due to RTX kicking in.

If you can, use a desktop, the extra ram is a big deal,8GB isn't enough, 16 will often be exceeded too, i use 24 and occasionally cut it close, a pro dev would want 32+, on top of that a good Nvidia GPU with plenty of Vram is the way to go, it's the reason i went for a GTX 1060 6GB rather than the 4GB and it's been well worth it.
thanks for your answer ... the two laptop have 16GB DDR4 with a possibility to upgrade to 32GB, the only difference is the GPU ( one is GTX1060 and the other RTX2060 ) and the CPU ( i7 8750H for the GTX and i7 9750H for the RTX )

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
thanks for your answer ... the two laptop have 16GB DDR4 with a possibility to upgrade to 32GB, the only difference is the GPU ( one is GTX1060 and the other RTX2060 ) and the CPU ( i7 8750H for the GTX and i7 9750H for the RTX )
The RTX will give you better performance, you'll also want as much GPU RAM as you can get if you want to do complex scenes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Naidrang

Naidrang

Forgotten Fruit
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 11, 2019
I sometimes use daz on a laptop with a GTX1060 6GB and it works fine. Since you've got 16GB RAM, you'll be good there and able to do some multi-tasking while rendering as well. Of course the RTX is more powerful, but as stated above me I doubt you'd see much improvement other than slightly faster render times so depending on the price increase you may want to save yourself a little money.

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
32GB and the RTX is actually pretty decent for Daz with that CPU in the mix, i can't recommend it though, for the money you'd be getting more bang for buck with a desktop by a good margin but as far as laptops for Daz go it sounds like it would be able to do the job quite well.

If you're set on a laptop then this would be a good option if you're intending to dabble in Daz, considering this laptop would be more than capable of doing other things like games to a very respectable standard i can't tell you that it's a bad laptop, far from it, but purely as a Daz machine, well, do a price comparison of a system build on something like PC part picker or newegg and see what the price gap is.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Get a job in an office that has lots of computers.
Setup your network renderer to run in the background on every machine in the building.

DonStark

May 4, 2017
Get a job in an office that has lots of computers.
Setup your network renderer to run in the background on every machine in the building.

Hmmm why speak about getting a job in an office when i want some information about a laptop with a GTX or RTX ???

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Hmmm why speak about getting a job in an office when i want some information about a laptop with a GTX or RTX ???
because laptops can't do rendering by themselves, and you don't have a place for a desktop.

So you get a job as the mild mannered janitor at EvilCorp and use their network to fulfill your fantasies.

Reactions: Winterfire