• We will be performing maintenance to upgrade some of our forum tools. During this time, the site will remain online, but you may encounter some errors until the maintenance is complete. The report and search functions will be unavailable until the maintenance is complete.

Maintenance is expected to last up to 9 hours.

The maintenance window will start on Thursday, 2024/07/04, at: 1:00 PM GMT / 3:00 PM CEST / 9:00 AM EDT / 6:00 AM PDT / 12:00 AM AEDT

Thank you for your patience.

New Renpy version doesn't run

Goku14

Nov 28, 2018
Hi!
My Windows 7 PC doesn't run renpy games since last week, with new renpy version (7.4.2). I've tried renpy 7.3 perfectly. I think this is the problem (form my log.txt ):
The following gl functions are missing:
- glBindFramebuffer
I hope to find a solution cause right now I can't play new games.
Thank you and sorry about my English, it's not my first language.

Reactions: Nitro125

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
This release also raises the minimum requirements to run a Ren'Py game. It is now required that a user's computer have OpenGL 2, DirectX 9, OpenGL ES 2, or WebGL to run Ren'Py. The model-based renderer requires OpenGL ES 3 or WebGL 2.

Reactions: redsling and Goku14

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Ren'py's requirements went up with the latest one so it won;t run on older systems.

Besides that, Windows 7 is an obsolete operating system.

AAA devs have already phased it out with Indie devs following as such so are makers of certain engines.

Not saying that to be a bitch but sooner or later you will need to upgrade or you won't be able to run any new stuff coming out. Give it another year or so and Windows 7 will have been phased out by near enough everything.

• Angry
Reactions: Fessups and Goku14

Fessups

Nov 4, 2017
Ren'py's requirements went up with the latest one so it won;t run on older systems.

Besides that, Windows 7 is an obsolete operating system.

AAA devs have already phased it out with Indie devs following as such so are makers of certain engines.

Not saying that to be a bitch but sooner or later you will need to upgrade or you won't be able to run any new stuff coming out. Give it another year or so and Windows 7 will have been phased out by near enough everything.
IMAO IT IS YOU who are obsolete my man... no hard feelings.

Renpy 7.4.2 games (now) run perfectly on my "obslete" win 7 even 32bit system, moreover with generic intel HD graphics. Problem was in the graphics driver itself (e.g my old i3-550 cpu, HP PC did not let me update graphics driver from intel site from 2010 version to 2013-last version for my cpu, I had to do that manually, but it CAN BE DONE), that needed to be updated to completely solve the problem mentioned with OGL version by GOKU14 above. Peace mate. ;)

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
IMAO IT IS YOU who are obsolete my man... no hard feelings.

Renpy 7.4.2 games (now) run perfectly on my "obslete" win 7 even 32bit system, moreover with generic intel HD graphics. Problem was in the graphics driver itself (e.g my old i3-550 cpu, HP PC did not let me update graphics driver from intel site from 2010 version to 2013-last version for my cpu, I had to do that manually, but it CAN BE DONE), that needed to be updated to completely solve the problem mentioned with OGL version by GOKU14 above. Peace mate. ;)
Firstly, not a man secondly you're bragging about running a toaster.....

Also, if you bothered reading, I said within the year and it's Microsoft that made Windows 7 obsolete not me, I aint Bill Gates.

Windows 7 is no longer being supported and companies are phasing it out.

Your whole post just reminded me of someone bragging to a Porsche driver that they have a skateboard. Well done, you have a barely functioning piece of tech that wasn't even worth bragging about when it was cobbled together. I'm so pleased you can barely run Ren'py, the most basic of engines, i'm sure you must be so proud.....

Fessups

Nov 4, 2017
Firstly, not a man secondly you're bragging about running a toaster.....

Also, if you bothered reading, I said within the year and it's Microsoft that made Windows 7 obsolete not me, I aint Bill Gates.

Windows 7 is no longer being supported and companies are phasing it out.

Your whole post just reminded me of someone bragging to a Porsche driver that they have a skateboard. Well done, you have a barely functioning piece of tech that wasn't even worth bragging about when it was cobbled together. I'm so pleased you can barely run Ren'py, the most basic of engines, i'm sure you must be so proud.....
I am really sorry that I have misjudged you for a man, that I did not know, I am not in that kind of a country where avaron is a name, moreover a girls name.

Now as for your highly subjective opinion, well we agree to disagree. Just w8 & see, then try to run some older nostalgic favourite games on your brand new PC, lol or by your words, try to use your "porsche" in a "skatepark".

Btw I did not said that mentioned PC/system is my only PC/system, I am one of those dicks, that can afford anything anytime & now I am actually running a Porsche, Volvo & Lexus, but I also have the "porsche" & that "skateboard/toaster" you mentioned, I even have a "garage" in a form of my own powerful proxy linux server. I just tried to solve the problem mentioned by the Goku above by discrediting such opinions on the win 7, because there are (and always will) be people who cannot have (and will not be able to afford) a Porsche, moreover the "porsche". I actually try to solve problems not run from them by buying something new.

Again, I mean no harm. There always will be people with different opinions. My mistake was letting my emotions run wild, cause "useful" opinions like "reinstall windows, buy new hardware, get new iPhone, etc. are getting on my nerves because they help nobody, except those mentioned companies, and there are so many of such "pseudoproblemsolving" opinions in the web nowadays.

Sorry for my grammar mistakes, I am not a native speaker. Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: oceanbobo4

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I am really sorry that I have misjudged you for a man, that I did not know, I am not in that kind of a country where avaron is a name, moreover a girls name.
Only half is my name, Ava. It's part of my name with part of my girlfriends name. Should be Avarona but I missed the a off, i'd been on the wine when I joined.

The only thing I keep up to date is my PC, she's my baby.

If Pc's came with a tongue and knew how to cook i'd leave my girl and shack up with my rig.

Reactions: Fessups

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[...] I am not in that kind of a country where avaron is a name, moreover a girls name.
I wonder in which country "fessups" is a male (?) name.

Now as for your highly subjective opinion, well we agree to disagree. Just w8 & see, then try to run some older nostalgic favourite games on your brand new PC, lol or by your words, try to use your "porsche" in a "skatepark".
I don't see the problem here... I can still play late 80's games on my 3 years old computer. There's really few games, all badly done ones, that you can't still play with a recent computer. And for the dably done ones, there's still virtualbox and CPU slowers.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Fessups

Fessups

Nov 4, 2017
I wonder in which country "fessups" is a male (?) name.

I don't see the problem here... I can still play late 80's games on my 3 years old computer. There's really few games, all badly done ones, that you can't still play with a recent computer. And for the dably done ones, there's still virtualbox and CPU slowers.
It seems another "expert in the field" joined this "highly philosophical" discussion. :) Welcome. But imao this is a thread for solving the problem mentioned in the first post, not for explaining how the life works nor the revaluation of ones thinking process...

Nonetheless, respect for your logic, really, buying the good stuff - only to restrict it. Perfect thinking. Congratulations. :D

Btw try to play e.g. Max Payne, or Starcraft, or SWKOTOR on the new system win 10, or you are going to say they are badly made (/done?) ones? Try some of the MSDOS ones too.

Moreover, I reckon, in Avas opinion (as she presented herself as "Computerophile", which is nice, and rare for a girl) even yours 3 year old system is going to be evaluated as archaic toaster too :D

Btw Fessups is not a name at all, is just an nickname fantasy creation of mine derived from the "fess up" (just in plural).

I do not need to carry on with this further. I prefer real life converations. May thy Wisdom be with y'all, always.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
But imao this is a thread for solving the problem mentioned in the first post, not for explaining how the life works nor the revaluation of ones thinking process...
Then, why have you joined the discussion to explain to Avaron1974 how life works, when she gave a perfectly valid answer to the problem ?
With the port to Python 3.x started in the version 7.4.0, Ren'py is slowly, but surely, dropping support for older architectures. Therefore, yes, it's time to think about an upgrade of your computer, at least if it's a really old one and you like to play games made with Ren'py.

Nonetheless, respect for your logic, really, buying the good stuff - only to restrict it. Perfect thinking. Congratulations. :D
"only to restrict it", what kind of none sense is this ?
I replayed System Shock (1994) two months ago, but I obviously haven't bought my computer for this sole reason. There's no man (nor girl, sorry Ava) behind your back forcing you to use your computer for a single purpose ; you can perfectly use it to play oldies, then to use the most advanced technology one hour later.

Btw try to play e.g. Max Payne, or Starcraft, or SWKOTOR on the new system win 10, or you are going to say they are badly made (/done?) ones?
Wait, is this what you call "older nostalgic favorites games" ? And you think that they can't be played on a modern computer ?
As for the "badly done" part, I was referring to well known issues. Like by example those DOS games that were never bound to a regular cycle, what lead to games way to fast now that computers aren't anymore powered by CPU that have a speed expressed in two digits Mhz. Or those telling you that you need a better GPU, because the leading "1" coming from the 16 millions colors it support is lower than the leading "2" from the 256 colors support they need ; fucking never achieved to add SVGA support to a Win98 on VirtualBox :(
Because yes, those games exists, and it's effectively nearly impossible to play them on a modern computer.

Try some of the MSDOS ones too.
Is Doom, the original from 1993, old enough for you ? It, and even older games, works perfectly in a DosBox. I admit that I haven't played it recently, but it still worked fine on my previous computer and this have no reason to have changed.

Moreover, I reckon, in Avas opinion (as she presented herself as "Computerophile", which is nice, and rare for a girl) even yours 3 year old system is going to be evaluated as archaic toaster too :D
And so ? Lets say that she's saying it, and that I don't know that, Ava being Ava, she talk without filters, why should I care ?

I do not need to carry on with this further. I prefer real life converations. May thy Wisdom be with y'all, always.
Unlike you, I haven't jumped on the discussion because I felt offended (don't deny it, it's way too obvious), but to give a valid information (you can play older games on modern computer), give a start of the answer (virtualization), and wonder about one stupid point. So, I'll pass on your wisdom, it clearly lack of common sense.

• Love
Reactions: Avaron1974

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
It's not a matter of being "experts" but generally when people are interested in a subject they learn about it.

I'm a gamer so I like to stay up to date on news of hardware and software regarding PC's and consoles to a lesser extent.

Anne has made a lot of posts on subjects about this so has quite a bit more knowledge on it than I do.

Microsoft dropped support of older operating systems a while back including Windows 7. Since then developers have started phasing it out to the point where AAA developers no longer support Windows 7 at all. Indie devs aren't far behind with most already having dropped it.

Since Microsoft have set their focus on Windows 10 so has the industry and yes, it is only a matter of time before Windows 7 is completely obsolete and runs nothing but older software and games.

The simple fact is the industry moves forward at a rapid rate.

You are right, I do consider Anne's system to be outdated because it is. I don't say it with the intent to put people down I say it because the industry has moved on from 3 years ago and any hardware from then is old and outdated.

People wanting to keep playing newer titles will eventually have to upgrade. That isn't me "being an expert" that's simple common sense.

I have never claimed to be an expert but it is a subject I have a lot of interest in so do have some knowledge. It won't be long before every single software developer completely phases out Windows 7 and 32 bit systems. That isn't me "being an expert" that's a fact, it's already happening with the big guns already having phased them out and everyone else following that route.

Whether you upgrade or not is your issue. You don;t need to spend thousands on a brand new rig, a 3 year old mid range system is more than enough. As long as it runs Windows 10, 64 bit you are up to date.

If, like some people on here, you want to die on the 32 bit Windows 7 hill then that's on you.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
You are right, I do consider Anne's system to be outdated because it is.
As I do myself.

When I buy what's needed to build a new computer, I just try to have a computer that will be obsolete as late as possible. Simply because I know perfectly well that it's the only thing that can be achieved.
I can choose the best motherboard, CPU and GPU that were released one day before, it will change nothing, less than two years later the computer will be outdated. But in the same time, and if needed, ten years after being build it will still be able to run (almost) whatever new software ; not perfectly, but smoothly enough for it to not be a burden. At least as long as I keep the drivers up to date while they are still updated, and change the OS at least once.
I don't think that I ever reached this 10 years limit, but at least I know that if circumstance force me to this, it will not be too much of a problem.

And yeah, saying that is just facing the reality, dot.

Reactions: Avaron1974