New to DAZ 3D, questions about the Genesis

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
I'm giving my first steps in DAZ and I have a billion questions but there is one in particular that I can't find an answer yet and it's troubling me the most and it is:

What are the Genesis?
Why are there 4 of them?
What are they good for?
Which one should I use?
What are their diferences?
and what happened to Genesis 4-5-6-7?

I played with the male figures of all Genesis and I noted some diferences but nothing to drastic, I feel like those were thing that I could equalize with some more experience. I saw in the Asset's forums that most content especifies the Genesis they are made for, should I stick to just one Genesis?

Thanks

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
What are the Genesis? Genesis is the figure which Daz uses, and there are several generations of this figure.
Why are there 4 of them? As technology advances, more realistic bone and skin upgrades can be made, to make more realistic figures. Think of each genesis generation as Iphones (more of a galaxy person myself): each looks similar to the previous, but has some new features hidden underneath and is usually a step above the previous generation.
What are they good for? Look at answer above.
Which one should I use? That is up to you. Genesis 3 and 8 are the most used currently. 3 is older, but generally has more content, because it has been out for longer than the Genesis 8. Genesis 8 is newer and has slightly more realistic looking skin & expressions, and also some upgraded bone infrastructure. Both of these are viable choices. Right now the genesis 3 is cheaper and has the widest selection of assets, but as time passes, more and more people will switch to make content for the genesis 8. So, genesis 3 will become less and less viable as time passes, even if it is a good choice right now.
What are their diferences? Mostly answered above. The higher the number, the newer and more advanced the figure is.
and what happened to Genesis 4-5-6-7? Stolen by the underpants gnomes. It is the untold step in their master plan.

should I stick to just one Genesis?
Yes and no. Most assets are made to work with only 1 specific type of genesis figure, but there are many assets which will work for multiple. There are also tools which can be used to transform assets from genesis 3 > genesis 8 and vice versa. However, generally speaking, you will be focussing on 1 figure more than the rest.