New to VR. Does a Valve Index VR headset work on older VR content?

ReMeDy

Mar 27, 2018
How does cross-compatibility work between the various headsets and most of the VR content out there? I keep seeing older VR titles and either they don't mention what VR headset I should be using, or they specify an older headset, which may or may not be true given the Valve Index wasn't released when the developer typed up their specification requirements.

In particular, the stuff I'm most curious to try are:

• VR Kanojo and other Illusion games (VR Kanojo's Steam page only lists Vive and Oculus)
  • Summer Lesson (PS4 Playstation VR title. Does Valve VR even work on PS4?)
  • Various games on the VR Megathread
  • High-def VR videos, such as from

Can I expect a Valve Index headset to work with all this? If not, are there workarounds, or should I concern myself with a cheaper headset altogether?

Tetra0x71

Mar 7, 2020
Games that work on Vive generally also work on the Index. You may need to change the control scheme though, as some controls that were designed for the Vive wands are a bit odd with the Index controllers out of the box.
PS4 VR only works with the PS4s own headset (afaik).
VR/3D videos should work on any platform that you can find a player for - from my minimal experience in testing 3d videos on the Index, I can recommend something like skybox VR player (free, had no issues with functionality in my testing)

Reactions: ReMeDy