Ren'Py New trouble with mouse "hovering" in Ren'Py

Sukebe_S

World's Slowest Amateur Game Developer
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 27, 2019
Hi Gurus,

I'm a total noob who's reengineering an existing (but abandoned) game in order to teach myself Ren'Py and Daz. In the original game ("Wifey's Dilemma"), players can hover their mouse cursor over an icon in the corner of the screen to find out information on a stat the MC can get. But now, in my reengineered version, hovering your mouse over the icon causes the game to break. I'm not sure why or what I did. Could someone have a look at the traceback code and help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Here it is:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/script.rpy", line 1124, in script
n "You followed, and tried not to look stupid."
TypeError: unbound method get_tooltip() must be called with NullAction instance as first argument (got nothing instead)

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "game/script.rpy", line 1124, in script
n "You followed, and tried not to look stupid."
File "/Volumes/Seagate/Emulators/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/ast.py", line 708, in execute
renpy.exports.say(who, what, *args, **kwargs)
File "/Volumes/Seagate/Emulators/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/exports.py", line 1345, in say
who(what, *args, **kwargs)
File "/Volumes/Seagate/Emulators/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/character.py", line 1142, in __call__
self.do_display(who, what, cb_args=self.cb_args, **display_args)
File "/Volumes/Seagate/Emulators/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/character.py", line 842, in do_display
**display_args)
File "/Volumes/Seagate/Emulators/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/character.py", line 591, in display_say
rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='say', type=type, roll_forward=roll_forward)
File "/Volumes/Seagate/Emulators/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/ui.py", line 297, in interact
rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
File "/Volumes/Seagate/Emulators/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/core.py", line 2702, in interact
repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
File "/Volumes/Seagate/Emulators/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/core.py", line 3515, in interact_core
rv = renpy.display.focus.mouse_handler(ev, x, y)
File "/Volumes/Seagate/Emulators/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/focus.py", line 407, in mouse_handler
return change_focus(new_focus, default=default)
File "/Volumes/Seagate/Emulators/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/focus.py", line 362, in change_focus
set_focused(current, newfocus.arg, newfocus.screen)
File "/Volumes/Seagate/Emulators/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/focus.py", line 109, in set_focused
new_tooltip = widget._get_tooltip()
File "/Volumes/Seagate/Emulators/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 749, in _get_tooltip
return get_tooltip(self.action)
File "/Volumes/Seagate/Emulators/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 373, in get_tooltip
return func()
TypeError: unbound method get_tooltip() must be called with NullAction instance as first argument (got nothing instead)

Darwin-18.0.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Wifey's Dilemma 0.13
Thu Mar 12 11:05:45 2020

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Well, there's many possible explanations, but I'll go for the most logical due to the context. So, what is the code of the imagebutton you try to hover ?

Looks like you misused the tooltip property.