[S>Writer] Share Unpaid New Writer/Designer looking for a project to work on

hameleona

Oct 27, 2018
Skills:
Writing; Story, Character, World and System Design.

Preferred method of contact:
- PM me here if you are interested.
- Discord or similar options if we start working.

Employment Type & Rates:
- Depending on what exactly do you want me to do. If you just need some help with design - I'd appreciate it if you "buy me a beer" but it's not needed. If you want me to write it all - we are talking about sharing profits.

Availability:
- Part time. Depends a lot on the project and the type of work I have to do for you but no more than 10-20h per week.

Work Samples:
- None in English, sadly.

Additional comments:
Now, I find myself in an interesting situation - I have quite a bit of experience with everything pointed in the Skills section, but my experience has always been limited to my native language (Bulgarian). I have published several gamebooks here and helped a lot of other authors with everything you can imagine. I have worked on one of out two native p'n'pRPG systems and have been involved in many other projects. So, while I'm pretty confident in my own skills, you have probably noticed a big problem - I am not a native English speaker and will probably need a proofreader if I have to write anything for you.

So, what can I do for you?

1. Design help with Story, Characters and Setting.

I can fix your characters, I can fix your world, I can fix your story. I have done this enough in different mediums to know I can do it. When I say fix it, I mean I'll come, see what you want, see what you have made and tell you at least a few ways to fix all the problems you may have created. And by "tell you" I mean "write you a step-by-step guide even a 5 year old can follow". And I will take the commitment for follow-up help. I have done this many times and it's a hobby. The only thing I want for that is to be credited for being involved (a few bucks will be appreciated, but are not necessary).
Ok, I can hear you ask already - "So, why the hell would I need you?". Best part of my help is that I can usually see ways to fix the problems post factum. Meaning you won't need to re-write everything from the start. You wanted to have those outcomes, I'll do my damned best to keep them the same. And I will keep my mouth shut for what exactly did I do for. You made a mistake, you fucked up something, no need to let it ruin your project or even just your mood. ;)

2. Story, Character and Setting Design.
Exactly what it says on the tin - you want somebody to create part(s) of your story, design characters for it (and the stuff that comes with that, like events and shit) or want somebody to do all that work to create a world that reads and feels real? No problem, call me and we can talk about it. If I like the project I'll work on it until completion. You'll also have to pay me something, depending on the amount of work I have to do for you.

3. System design and help.
Same as with the above, but if you struggle with the mechanics and systems in your game - I can help. One big note here - I can't code for the life of me, so we may have to spend a lot of time communicating about the implementation of said systems and mechanics. And yes, I will do all the boring math to make certain nothing brakes your game. Buy me a beer afterwords, please.

4. Writing
Now, this is the real deal. So here is a huge wall of text, because I firmly believe in being upfront with what I can do for you:

I can write your whole game (including all the design stuff above). But there are things we must agree on, before I take on the project:

1. I write my own story. I'm not going to go and dump text for you. I just can't. If you want somebody to write your story - I'm not your guy. Go find somebody who can do it, don't even bother me. Now, this is not to say I'm some goddamned totalitarian and won't change "muh artistic vision" under any circumstances. I'm not like that and would appreciate suggestions and critique as long as you understand I'm the one who has the final say about it. I can twist, shift, bend and make loops from a story to accommodate requests, but if I don't feel it you don't want me to write it. Like, honestly, it will be basic, boring, cliche trash. Communication (especially in the early stages of the project) will be key for success. Maybe I'm not your guy.

2. The protagonist will be male. It's what I write best. He won't be a looser (or he will have the ability to grow out of it). There won't be side-chicks to fuck. The player can Earn their happy ending. I'm not writing fiction for masochists. Some types of NTR are out of the question. Some of the more extreme fetishes are also not my thing. The MC can be bi, but I know that I suck at writing gay MCs so keep that in mind.

3. We should start small with something that can be finished in several months. We can than sit down and talk if we are going to make a huge commitment to a bigger project, continue with smaller ones or just drop working together. I can work on big projects, but I am really skeptical about it. I'm new(ish) at this, I don't really expect somebody who is not new(ish) to contact me, so let's not bite more than we can swallow.

4. If you are the type of person, who thinks we are gonna "make it big" on Patreon in two updates - go get a reality check. If we do it, we do it because we like doing it, not because we wanna make a ton of money. I really can't stress this enough. I don't want my name associated with yet another project abandoned after version 0.0002 alpha.

Now, what is my writing style?

I excel at stories that mix humor and serious topics. At gray and gray morality and difficult choices with sometimes dire consequences. I love flawed protagonists and broken characters. I love stories with dark tones, that are not afraid to pose really difficult and even fucked up questions. That said - I love happy(ish) endings. Shit happens - the player has to deal with it. Now, this is a game, so there will be downer and outright bad endings, but there will be good ones. The player must have a way to win.
I love writing in the many fantasy and sci-fy sub-genres and prefer them.
As for story structure - I write mostly in a linear-ish structure without clear-cut "paths". Things happen, the character reacts to them, triggering other things and outcomes. I have attached an image showing how my story structure actually looks if you are wondering what the hell does all that mean. :)

So yeah, I think that's all. If you have questions - please, ask them.

Mimir's Lab

Game Developer
Sep 30, 2019
Interesting. I can definitely use a second opinion on my project. I have very strong ideas on all the characters and the plot, but there are definitely holes that need to be filled. The project is my lovechild so I'm not looking for more hands, just some people to give good honest criticism. Let me know if you're interested.

hameleona

Oct 27, 2018
Interesting. I can definitely use a second opinion on my project. I have very strong ideas on all the characters and the plot, but there are definitely holes that need to be filled. The project is my lovechild so I'm not looking for more hands, just some people to give good honest criticism. Let me know if you're interested.
Honest criticism is easy, as long as I find the time. Maybe later in the coming week. Shoot me a PM or poke me on Discord: hameleona#2087 around Friday and I'd be happy to help.

Reactions: Mimir's Lab

iiZombie

Game Developer
Jan 11, 2019
Hi, can you work with me on new game I am developer and writer you will be artist only if you are interesting chat me