Newbie looking for lighting advice.

8InchFloppyDick

Game Developer
Apr 4, 2020
Dear All,

Below is a render of my protagonist and a pixie holding a lantern at night. Other than the Global lighting, there is a single linear point light in the lantern held by the pixie. Its Intensity is set to 1% yet there's still too much light coming off it. The pixie's face is washed out and the MC's face and torso lighting is also too bright. Reducing the Intensity value to silly numbers like 0.005 doesn't sort any effect and fiddling with the Luminous Flux slider in addition to the Intensity slider doesn't seem to make any difference either.

How do I further reduce the amount of light coming off the linear point light?

forest-08_nvidia.jpg

Last edited:

Lewdpanda95

Sep 9, 2018
You have more lightsources then. Most likely the lantern has emissive properties. Check in the surfaces tab of the lantern if any surface has an emission color other than black.

8InchFloppyDick

Game Developer
Apr 4, 2020
Lewdpanda - thanks for your tip. I started digging and found that the lantern I'm using is 'smart' and that it has a candle with emmisive propertiess.

The kebab being: If you come from a 3D modeller/environment where you need to set everything up from scratch, don't forget to check if the Daz prop you're using has presets and if it does, what they are set to.

Thanks again Lewdpanda!

Last edited:

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Lewdpanda - thanks for your tip. I started digging and found that the lantern I'm using is 'smart' and that it has a candle with emmisive propertiess.

The kebab being: If you come from a 3D modeller/environment where you need to set everything up from scratch, don't forget to check if the Daz prop you're using has presets and if it does, what they are set to.

Thanks again Lewdpanda!
Get this
https://f95zone.to/threads/iray-light-manager-pro.9146/

Every Daz scene I ever use, I use that light manger to turn every pre-existing light off (Just make the emission color black). The lights in Daz scenes are good for their promo shots but not much else.

In this scene here I put a really tiny plane where the phone torch would be and made it emissive. I was going to make it one-sided but sort of liked as it is so I left it. pub2.jpg
That was pretty rough and quick cos I don't care that much for a single scene so you could do better tweaking it.

(There is a ghost light around the corner, it was too dark otherwise.