Daz Newbie question about using Daz3D and Unity to develop a point-and-click adventure

JPS007

Feb 5, 2021
Hi everybody

I’m a new developer and would really appreciate some advice regarding the game I’m working on. I have some experience with creative writing and C# coding (Unity), but I have a couple of questions about development of the graphical assets. The game is a typical old-school point-and-click adventure, but when the player interacts with an NPC, the game should cut to a scene where the dialog and/or action takes place (similar to a Visual Novel).

From these forums I’ve gathered that the cutscenes should be developed in something like Daz3D, but where should I be creating the game world? It would be easier for me in Unity, but should I then export these environments to Daz3D to ensure consistency with the cut scenes? Or is it better to develop the game world in Daz3D from the start and then export to Unity?

I’m also not sure about the best way to deal with the characters - should I be using the Daz3D assets as-is to populate the game world (where the player wanders around and interacts), or should I be creating low-poly versions for this purpose? This is not about the look of the game, but I’m concerned about size and potential processing issues when using high quality Daz assets for the entire game.

Thanks in advance - any tips and advice would be much appreciated!