gobbet

Oct 11, 2017
He's talking about the game bad coding
I believe he's talking about Accidental Woman.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you on that. There's yet another, long abandoned, game with the same basic idea of a tg at the start life sim. In early versions that one required you to manually eat, similar to Girl Life, but you just up and died if you forgot to eat for 2 days. The dev took a lot of convincing that overly long busywork isn't fun.
Are you talking about Cursed? I remember that needing to have a lot of involvement in your morning routine, or you'd end up going out unshowered and smelling bad and whatever.

souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
Are you talking about Cursed? I remember that needing to have a lot of involvement in your morning routine, or you'd end up going out unshowered and smelling bad and whatever.
Yeah, forgot to put in the name. The morning routine was another thing that took way to long to simplify in it, in part because of going to multiple rooms you had to go to to do most things. Again, realistic but tedious doesn't make a good game.

To be cleat, these aren't issues with the game side of Newlife, that has it's own problems mostly on the development side.

gobbet

Oct 11, 2017
Anyway, back on topic, I do really like the streamlined gameplay of Newlife. The ability to set as many outfits as you like for various situations is great, and it completely removes tedious time sinks like having to remember to shave your legs every couple of days.

Buuuuut, the dev's work ethic is garbage. I stopped being a supporter long ago, and I'll never give him another dime.

Random Bob

Sep 12, 2018
Yeah, same here. I don't mind having to do some managment, but seriously, I play life-sims to experience something I wouldn't be able to see or do in real life, not to discover the thrill of tooth brushing and managing my pee meter.

It's a shame that there really aren't that many games in this genre. I mean, I get why, it's far easier to do a focused story than a free roam game, but still.
That's why Newlife is pissing me off. It had a huge potential, it has pretty good writing in some places, some very nice details like personality and traits being reflected in minor dialogues etc. there's just this one minor issue of the game also having an awful dev ...

Marlin Brandy

Aug 18, 2018
I've got about 7 custom npcs, but whenever I start a new game, only 3 or fewer ever show for me to play with. I've tried increasing maximum number of npcs. What am I doing wrong?

NextTimeMaybe

Jan 27, 2018
Perhaps you didn't set priority? It's a number near the top of the NPC's stats. Set it higher than others and your NPC will show up in the game

mrme

Nov 8, 2017
The problem with this game is that all the good mechanics were released in the first versions.
So he's had nothing to drip feed for a while, he really should've moved onto something else a while ago

Marlin Brandy

Aug 18, 2018
Perhaps you didn't set priority? It's a number near the top of the NPC's stats. Set it higher than others and your NPC will show up in the game
how high should I set? I've got them all at one. I'll try putting them at 100 and see again

update: after setting them all to 100 priority, I've gotten 4 to spawn, even setting additional npcs spawns to -10 for both male and female, no change

Last edited:

Random Bob

Sep 12, 2018
@Marlin Brandy
That's not going to help much, priority is only weighted against other custom NPC's.

As to why they do not show up, there's a couple of possible options:
1. The NPC's might be invalid (wrong trait combinations or typo's in the text file) and will therefore not spawn.
2. You've created special NPC's meaning they cannot show up outside of their particular scene (lowlife, jerk friend etc.)
3. You're a dum-dum and forgot to set the NPC to enabled.

There's an option in the main menu that let's you test custom NPC's and scenes, might be a good place to start.

Last edited:

Marlin Brandy

Aug 18, 2018
@Marlin Brandy
That's not going to help much, priority is only weighted against other custom NPC's.

As to why they do not show up, there's a couple of possible options:
1. The NPC's might be invalid (wrong trait combinations or typo's in the text file) and will therefore not spawn.
2. You've created special NPC's meaning they cannot show up outside of their particular scene (lowlife, jerk friend etc.)
3. You're a dum-dum and forgot to set the NPC to enabled.

There's an option in the main menu that let's you test custom NPC's and scenes, might be a good place to start.
all of them are valid, as per the in game test, and I HAVE added npc personality traits, but even they appear every now and then under npc relationships, do those affect that?
they're enabled ahah, double and triple checked

thanks!

Random Bob

Sep 12, 2018
@Marlin Brandy
Nah, they'd show up as invalid in the menu if there was something wrong here. It's just that some traits make them only appear in very specific scenarios, so for example you will never meet someone with a "boyfriend's jerk friend" trait when you go to the gym or club.
There's also an RNG factor, since there's a limit to how many NPC's can be at a given location at a given time, so you might be simply unlucky. Yesterday, for example, I was unable to find one of my valid NPC's for solid 30 minutes, he just refused to show up, even though I'm pretty sure he has the widest possible range of events he can participate in.
Also, certain things like physique and traits can impact as to where such an NPC can be found to begin with, so if the guy looks like Jabba the Hut he's probably not going to show up at the gym, ever.
Oh, and when it comes to special NPC traits it's like in the Highlander, "there can be only one", so making two NPC's that have the sale's boss trait or similar will cause only 1 of them to spawn, based on priority or RNG if priority is the same for both.

Other than that however, I've no idea what could be causing this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marlin Brandy

Marlin Brandy

Aug 18, 2018
@Marlin Brandy
Nah, they'd show up as invalid in the menu if there was something wrong here. It's just that some traits make them only appear in very specific scenarios, so for example you will never meet someone with a "boyfriend's jerk friend" trait when you go to the gym or club.
There's also an RNG factor, since there's a limit to how many NPC's can be at a given location at a given time, so you might be simply unlucky. Yesterday, for example, I was unable to find one of my valid NPC's for solid 30 minutes, he just refused to show up, even though I'm pretty sure he has the widest possible range of events he can participate in.
Also, certain things like physique and traits can impact as to where such an NPC can be found to begin with, so if the guy looks like Jabba the Hut he's probably not going to show up at the gym, ever.
Oh, and when it comes to special NPC traits it's like in the Highlander, "there can be only one", so making two NPC's that have the sale's boss trait or similar will cause only 1 of them to spawn, based on priority or RNG if priority is the same for both.

Other than that however, I've no idea what could be causing this.
thanks for all the help, I'll keep experimenting

NextTimeMaybe

Jan 27, 2018
As for the physique affecting location, it's stated somewhere that only toned and muscular guys can appear at the gym. Other than that, I'm not sure if there are any other restrictions

Random Bob

Sep 12, 2018
Thickset as well, but yeah, that seems to be the only situation where the body type has any real significance.

souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
all of them are valid, as per the in game test, and I HAVE added npc personality traits, but even they appear every now and then under npc relationships, do those affect that?
they're enabled ahah, double and triple checked

thanks!
Yeah, as was said, if they're all valid and don't overlap (only 1 work boss, for example) it's down to the RNG for events. Odds are you've had bad luck. Also, unless you've set the name you may never recognize who's who (outside of specific NPCs like the boss).

Reactions: Marlin Brandy

MidaHanna

Jul 2, 2017
Does anyone have access to his post 'A pause' he did on wednesday ? Genuinely curious about what he's saying

3.50 star(s) 33 Votes