jewtube

Nov 5, 2017
The new cheating event is fantastic although I feel lucky to have discovered it at all considering it's a rare variation of an already obnoxiously difficult to trigger "mini-date" thing. There are others like the farm one but this one's gotta be my new favorite. The new positions are fairly well-written too.

Can't help but imagine what this game would've been if every update was like this one

bestfriends

Nov 21, 2016
The new cheating event is fantastic although I feel lucky to have discovered it at all considering it's a rare variation of an already obnoxiously difficult to trigger "mini-date" thing. There are others like the farm one but this one's gotta be my new favorite. The new positions are fairly well-written too.
how did you trigger it?

jewtube

Nov 5, 2017
how did you trigger it?
You have to have a bf and a male friend who is 1) attracted to the protag and 2) has a certain trait (sleazy?).
Both are complete assumptions btw, I have no real data on the requirements.

Basically you have to keep the last action on "spend time with friends" and one of those stupid mini-date thingies will have a chance turn into a small event where all three of you have a drink together.

kenny

Aug 5, 2016
Or you can put the scenes from official content directory in the custom scenes one, activate scene testing in options and then launch if from the testing menu. You can do that with every event from the official the folder. You can also use any text editor to read the requirements in the scene files

Last edited:

earthunwapped

Oct 5, 2019
Can someone help me...
I want to test out the custom scenes with what kenny yet for some reason I get errors.
What I'm I doing wrong?

Im going to content file, grabbing the yml and shoving them into the custom user scene file... pull up the game and enter custom scenes. Add in some NPC and it just says "ERRoR blah blah blah".

Help...

earthunwapped

Oct 5, 2019
Can someone help me...
I want to test out the custom scenes with what kenny yet for some reason I get errors.
What I'm I doing wrong?

Im going to content file, grabbing the yml and shoving them into the custom user scene file... pull up the game and enter custom scenes. Add in some NPC and it just says "ERRoR blah blah blah".

Help...

nevermind... did it...

Dnds

Out to Play
Donor
Jul 5, 2017
You have to have a bf and a male friend who is 1) attracted to the protag and 2) has a certain trait (sleazy?).
Both are complete assumptions btw, I have no real data on the requirements.

Basically you have to keep the last action on "spend time with friends" and one of those stupid mini-date thingies will have a chance turn into a small event where all three of you have a drink together.
Is the friend also an impregnator? I can't get that scene and hes sleazy and also attracted to protag. What about the BF? Is he a doormat? Any more info you could provide would help a lot.

bestfriends

Nov 21, 2016
Or you can put the scenes from official content directory in the custom scenes one, activate scene testing in options and then launch if from the testing menu. You can do that with every event from the official the folder. You can also use any text editor to read the requirements in the scene files
thanks for the tip

HideyoshiMonkey

Mar 16, 2020
I'm blown away that there is no massive community of writers pumping out events. I mean they would likely be ridiculous in the most literal sense of the word, but that doesn't normally stop the internet
That would be because the formatting required for writing content for NewLife is intensely infuriating and requires the comprehension of code. A simple paragraph often requires over a page of text and code. Let alone writing a series of events with choices, responses based on traits of the PC and people in the scene etc etc.

If writing for NewLife was easy- there would be a ton of content for it and the dev would likely have a ton more content produced.

stochastic

Dec 21, 2019
That would be because the formatting required for writing content for NewLife is intensely infuriating and requires the comprehension of code. A simple paragraph often requires over a page of text and code. Let alone writing a series of events with choices, responses based on traits of the PC and people in the scene etc etc.

If writing for NewLife was easy- there would be a ton of content for it and the dev would likely have a ton more content produced.
The custom scene community is small because most people are lazy and would rather whine on F95 than make scenes: Whining is easy and making a scene is work.

I don't know why you think the Newlife custom scene structure is "intensely infuriating"; Velocity and YAML are widely used, simple, and well-documented and supported. The combination of the two is definitely easier and has a shallower learning curve than Sugarcube in Twine or Ren'py & python, environments that lots of people seem to pick up fairly easily.

A paragraph of text is going to require a lot code to produce, not because of Velocity, but because the logic--the actual ideas expressed--is lengthy and sometimes complicated. If you think writing a scene in game should be like writing a scene in movie, then you don't know what you're talking about and haven't bothered to think about what scenes really entail. If you want your choices and character builds to matter, then most lines of text are going to require at least a little code in order to take your hair color, tit size, or sexual preferences into account.

Eulexia

Jun 18, 2018

I wrote a scene, and started with literally zero coding knowledge.

Yeah, it's code, but it's also pretty simple. For the most part the logic is fairly straightforward, and there's tools out there that make it way easier.

It's also a bunch of work. You're right about a simple paragraph requiring over a page of text and code, but that's because you're writing for a game where you can have all sorts of variation. That's not because the structure is bad, that's because you need to adapt to multiple different possibilities.

The work in writing a scene for Newlife is because the game isn't on rails, and because there is the possibility for a ton of variation. It's not hard, it just requires that you actually put in some time.

I'm not sure what sort of "easier" you want here. Writing a corresponding scene in anything else is much harder, especially because you can do things in Newlife like go to the pre-written sex scenes.

But, you're right that it's code. Newlife was actually the training wheels that got me going enough to be able to start a project of my own in Sugarcube. I've had to learn a ton of additional stuff, but was really glad for the skills developed.

kaorok

May 31, 2017
Yeah, YAML is easy, and there's a handy guide for making custom characters and scenes. Also, if you're working on your first scene, try to limit the variables you're playing with. You can start by restricting it to only play if a character with [Custom Tag] is available.

Dec 12, 2018
can any one share one of their custom NPC files? i've managed to get it to work once but after that i've modified the file and it doesnt work now. started again from a blank template but still doing something wrong. i've checked the capitalization and spacing but nothing is working....

Latecomer

Game Developer
Sep 23, 2017
can any one share one of their custom NPC files? i've managed to get it to work once but after that i've modified the file and it doesnt work now. started again from a blank template but still doing something wrong. i've checked the capitalization and spacing but nothing is working....
Wanna attach the file so someone can take a look and see what's wrong?

Reactions: kaorok

kaorok

May 31, 2017
is there any way I can create the sales event npc?
Which one? The sleazy client? Currently you can't make a custom NPC with the name "Horse", or get a custom sleazy client. Which is odd, considering that formerly uncustomizable NPCs (such as the Sales Boss, the Gym Jerk, the Asshole Friend) are now customizable.

bestfriends

Nov 21, 2016
Which one? The sleazy client? Currently you can't make a custom NPC with the name "Horse", or get a custom sleazy client. Which is odd, considering that formerly uncustomizable NPCs (such as the Sales Boss, the Gym Jerk, the Asshole Friend) are now customizable.
i'm sure there's actually a fair chance he would change that if you bring it up in his discord, since it's not that big of a task

3.50 star(s) 32 Votes